Thinking is part of reality

JLNobody

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:55 pm
Coberst, I know this is not helpful, but is everything part of reality? As I see it even a mirage is real, a real mirage. Our task is to not assume that it is another kind of reality.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:04 am
fresco wrote:
Smile

(a) That IS education !

and

(b) What evidence have you that you've actually transmitted what you think are "important ideas" ? Most people simply do not read lengthy quotations, for example, and you are signally reticent in debating points arising.

I would say that education is what goes on in our educational system. Education is a passive activity wherein a techer tells the student what they need to remember for the next exam to get a passing grade.

Self-learning is an agressive activity whrein the individual seeks answers to questions that interest him or her.

I have little evidence that what I post does in fact elevate the consciousness of the viewer. I suspect only a small percentage of those who view my post ever read much of what I write. That is why my measure for success is small; if only a few do read and do go on to learn then that is better than if those few were never excited into learning. A great journey begins with the first step and consciousness is the first step. Look what Socrates accomplished. Look what Al Gore accomplished. We must keep-on-keepin-on.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Margaret Mead/
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:24 am
JLNobody wrote:
Coberst, I know this is not helpful, but is everything part of reality? As I see it even a mirage is real, a real mirage. Our task is to not assume that it is another kind of reality.

These are matters that are difficult to discuss because our vocabulary is very limited when we speak about such matters.

I would say that there are two forms of existence, i.e. reality, there is the reality that transcends our ability to know, that is the reality that Kant called the-thing-in-itself, and there is that which I call reality. That which I call reality is what I have created in my brain and the important question about this reality is in what way is it similiar to what you and others create in your brain that you call reality.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 01:24 pm
Coberst, that sound pretty good to me. Two kinds: that which is beyond my ken and that which IS my ken. The first subsumes the second; while overlapping they are at least partially the same, but I guess the difference you (and Kant) identify are useful for some purposes.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 04:21 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Coberst, that sound pretty good to me. Two kinds: that which is beyond my ken and that which IS my ken. The first subsumes the second; while overlapping they are at least partially the same, but I guess the difference you (and Kant) identify are useful for some purposes.

I think that it is very important for the average guy and gal to comprehend such things. If they do they will not make the mistake to think that there is absolute truth and they will recognize that there is no such thing as objective truth. Every bit of reality has our thoughts intangled with it and that is especially true in matters of human relationships.
0 Replies