Stranded in the Desert.. As a soldier

TehMeh

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 01:24 pm
You are in a plane with your fellow soldiers flying over the Sahara desert, when the engines fail on your plane and the plane begins to spin out of control towards the ground.

You jump out of the plane with your military issued parachute and duffel bag.

Once you reach the ground, you see the plane crash and explode about 3 miles (to your East) away from where you are. You think there is a city about 20 miles away (to your West). Your first decision must be to: go check for survivors, stay where you are, OR go find civilization. What do you do?

The desert sands are hot and dry and it is windy- blowing the hot sand in your face with every step. Small mountains of sand surround you in every direction. There are cacti on the ground, but there is no sign of wildlife other than the vultures circling above you. The desert sun is horrific, beating down on you at 130 degrees Fahrenheit by mid-day. There is no visible shade in the immediate area, and no sign of a drinkable water source that you can see.

As you're walking through the hot desert, your duffel bag is starting to get too heavy, and you can keep ONLY three (3) items from the duffel bag to take with you on your journey (You DO get to keep the duffel bag- it does not count as one of the 3 items).

In the duffel bag is included:
1 MRE (Military issued package of dried food, seasoning, etc.)
1 Empty canteen
3 Emergency water packets (8 ounces each ~ 1 glass of water) (all three count as 1 item)
1 Compass
1 Mirror / Reflector
1 Change of clothes (t-shirt, socks, camo pants)
1 Package of Salt Pills
1 Emergency Blanket
1 book of 12 regular matches
1 First Aid Kit
1 Swiss Army Knife
1 Flashlight
1 Stick of Magnesium

Tell me what your plans are to accomplish your goal, what items you brought with you- and how they will help you survive.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,308 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 04:51 pm
Hi TehMeh, welcome to the forum - Great first post!

From a military point of view, you return to the plane, with everything you can carry - period.

If you have to leave the plane:

Leave at dusk, after taking the salt tablets and drinking the water, taking the knife (to cut and drink the cactus juice) flashlight (to signal) and a compass (if you can't navigate by the stars). (Leave the bag; unnecessary weight)

23 miles at 3 mph; easy eight hours; arrive at day break in time for breakfast.
0 Replies

TehMeh

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:31 pm
So according to you, you would not check the plane at all?

EDIT: Also its mid-day, no shade Smile
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 08:41 am
"So according to you, you would not check the plane at all?"

I understand you undertake to undermine my undertaking. I said,

"you return to the plane, with everything you can carry - period."

I am not writing a novel here; whilst at the plane you would evaluate the situation: Dead/injured/danger/logistics. The plane/materials would provide shade.

My point is - stay with the plane and await rescue.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 05:32 pm
I will carry

1. Magnasium Fire Stick
2. Mirror
3. blankets for waving

reason. with the situation you have discussed the only survival tactic is to be get rescued.

A 20 miles travel in Sahaar desert under a typical sunny day along with 3 of any other amenities u have discussed, is just kiddish. Also you said I think there is a city about 20 miles away (to your West) but aint absolutely sure of it.
0 Replies

freewriter420

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 01:34 pm
As far as a military stand point goes you Wouldn't have a duffle bag even if you jumped with it, any thing that can hinder you or your drop is dangerous, what you should do how ever is:

Take your empty canteen and fill it with your water packets, most common military issued canteens can hold almost 2 quarts if its a metal one.

Check your clothes for any rips or tears and replace them, and put on the extra pair of socks, they'll help.

Next take your duffle bag and your pocket knife and cut your duffle bag open to turn it into a sand coat, that will protect you from the harsh elements around you and keep you cooler then if you just walked around normally.

The MRE, Extra clothes, salt pills, matches, flashlight and magnesium can be rolled up into the blanket and burried under the sand next to a cactus you cut to remember.

The compass and Signal mirror should be one as far as any basic american military branch would do, but if their not leave the mirror in the blanket you can find another. The compass is important.

"A soldier's knife is a soldier's life" A soldier is taught that no matter what that small piece of metal can be his last and only resort, it goes in the boot, shouldn't have been apart of the list.

The three important things you would need are:
The Canteen filled with water
The First Aid Kit
And The Compass but if only three items are needed and the knife has to be one then...

Find your heading and put the compass with the blanket under the sand, keep your head down and head east, your sand cape should help circulate some of the harsh winds through and around your body and allow you to cool a little. When you reach the plane, you search for survivors, burry your dead and take their dogtaggs, find shelter under or in the plane wreckage, and begin to orgistrate your plan of action for contacting help.

In the desert you "Travel by the stars at night and sleep under the sand in the day" something important to remember. And your military action has been followed through.
0 Replies