Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 09:17 pm
My Jenny is one very spoiled golden retriever. It's not just all those toys. It's the fact that when she tosses one, I'm the one who does the fetching; and the fact that I always share my snack with her; and I'll move over on the sofa to make room for her (of course, it's never enough room so she eventually pushes me off); and the fact that I actually feel guilty when I come home from the store and don't have anything to give her (it's the look, you know).

How do you spoil your pet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 7,840 • Replies: 61
No top replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:25 pm
I don't think we spoil Maxie at all ... unless you count driving 5000 miles from Winnipeg to Key West and back in December/January, just so that we can take the dog.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:31 pm
That sounds entirely reasonable to me, mckenzie. Can't leave poor maxie home alone now, can you?
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:55 pm
Very Happy

Jack, my Border Collie, is 'Mr. Energy'. When I'm sitting on the couch, he NEEDS me to throw a toy across the room. He brings back the toy and drops it in my lap. This will go on for hours and hours, which is why I never sit on the couch for long. If I try to ignore him, he puts his chin on my knee and hums.

Jack sleeps on my bed. When he is taking more than his fair share of the space, I nudge him over with my knee. This sets off a long 'talking' spree (mumble, mumble, mumble), a turn-around-three-times maneuver, and a final big plop right next to my side, with his chin on my chest. Then he looks at me with those big brown eyes and smiles.

Oh, and he can't go outside in the morning, when I leave for work, without his 'cookies' (Milk Bones).

Very Happy
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:59 pm
Jenny is fond of pupperonis -- she gets one each time she goes out. Sometimes, she'll tell me she has to go out and then when I open the screen door she'll just stand there for a minute, turn around and walk over to the pupperonis. What's sad is that I give her one.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:02 pm
My Possum-cat is not spolit at all!

As long as I know my place, and behave according to instruction, immediately, there's absolutely no spoiling at all, at all!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:03 pm
They do seem to know who is really in charge, don't they.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 05:42 am
Hi Bandylu

My 3 cats?
How spoilt, you ask?: hopelessly, hideously & outrageously indulged in & adored! (Come to think of it .... same as every cat I ever lived with!)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:08 am
Cats aren't really spoiled, ya know. They just have expectations - which had better be met.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:58 am
Well, both the dogs some and go on the bed whenever they want (but they're learning that little sleepy kicks are soon followed by big sleepy kicks).

Otis, the avatarial, is a picky eater. Once we started giving him a little wet food on top of his kibble, he's very miffed if you give him a bowl with just kibble in it. He looks at the food, looks at you, looks and looks again, and only deigns to slowly curnch his food if you leave the room. (Molly eats anything you put in front of her as fast as she can, edible or not.)

Last week, there was brisket in the house, and someone thought it would be a good idea to put the occasional tablespoon or so of brisket on top of the food as well. So, I'd give him his kibble with the wet food, and he'd start giving me the look, like I just gave him dry food! And just because he wanted that half ounce of brisket. Guy thinks he's too good for his Science Diet...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 12:41 pm
Bailey and Cleo are NOT spoiled, they're just over-loved (and i don't think that's bad). Oma and Opa have had to learn to control their impulse to create puupuu platters for the grand-dogs. They've learned that little doggie tummies do not really benefit from breakfast platters with bacon and egg and grilled salmon and just a tiny bit of lamb and some emmentaler and ...

However, a nice little carrot patty with the kibble is easy to digest.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:12 pm
dude, puupuu? copraphagia, though relatively benign, should be discouraged.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:26 pm
oops
it should be pu-pu platter

click here for some frightening (not really) pix

it's what i call the platters of appetizers my parents used to (briefly) make up for the grand-dogs - little bits of people food, that remind me of the infamous pu-pu platters served at Hawaiian-themed restaurants in the 1960's. Oma and Opa have learned it is not safe.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:30 pm
Spoiled?
Is there anything more spoiled than a male poodle, who pokes you in the back, when you're asleep and won't stop, till he's in your bed?

Love that Baby! Shocked
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 08:48 pm
I must admit, though, that as much as I love Jenny, I do sometimes get a wee bit jealous when our human company visits and brings HER a present. The jealousy soon diminishes, though -- first cause I'm not all that fond of doggy chew toys, and second cause she is just a little kid in her great excitement in getting something new.

Do you remind your pets often just how lucky they are (and remind yourselves how lucky you are, too)?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:30 pm
Spoiled...oh no, not at all spoiled

Fat, Happy, well-loved, over gifted, special treats and snacks, favorite foods, best spots in the house, sleep on and next to me

not spoiled....
IM SPOILED Smile
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:28 pm
Quinn,I absolutely agree!And really spoiled am I! I get ALL his attention, all his love--well almost all-he is a bottomless pit, so there's still PLENTY of love left for my kids, my friends, ....(people he meets during his walk, people he meets at the park, children of any ilk..)
But lucky me, I get those grins and tail-wags, those leapings and cavortings, those joyous reunion greetings every day!
Rupert is also very generous with his hair, sprinkling it well about the house, and quite thickly during the summer.He lets me brush it, rake it, even pluck it off of him. He guards the house valiantly.(He knows the difference between the mailman and strangers) He EATS for me! And he takes me on a 2 mile walk every day. He is VERY good to me!
And why would it be spoiling to have never gone away in all his 12 years? I should go away and have fun without HIM? Impossible!!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:06 pm
My pets spoiled never in a million years. They spoil me with their love.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 09:29 am
My two dogs aren't spoiled.
They just smell that way.

No seriously, they are so spoiled! They know all they have to do is whimper and put their head on my knee to get a piece of my dinner. I think I do more back rubs than a professional masseur. Maybe I'm the pet and they're the masters?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 06:54 pm
of course youre the pet, havent you figured that out yet? Smile
0 Replies