What BOOK are you reading right now?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 01:10 am
farmerman, What is "krakatoa" about? I read "The Map That Changed the World" which I really enjoyed.

gus, Send me your mail address by pm, and you got it. Wink
0 Replies

revengeofthecow

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:15 pm
I'm reading "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal". Highly, highly recommended. Such hilarity is rarely found.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:24 pm
Hey, revengeofthecow, welcome to a2k! Who wrote that book?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:18 pm
1066 The Year Of The Conquest by David Howarth.

Finally finished the Kinsey report on male sexuality and started the report on the female but decided enough of sex made boring by being studied, examined in minutia, and put into statistical charts, ugh. But the movie was great.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 05:46 pm
"Running blind" by Lee Child. I spent most of my vacation reading Lee Child books. I love his detailed descriptions.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:25 pm
reading again : ambassador's journal by j.k. galbraith(issued 1969). galbraith was a friend of president kennedy who appointed him ambassador to india. he pleaded with the president to stay away from vietnam ... to no avail. i find it enlightening and frightening at the same time to take a look back at how world history was being shaped. i find it is often more interesting to read what was going on at a particular time than reading (a later) historical account. hbg
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 05:06 pm
"The Bourne Identity" by Robert Ludlum

Good escapist reading...
0 Replies

rmrrose820

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 05:16 pm
I'm reading "Portrait of a Lady" by Henry James and loving it. I swear I'm just like Isabel sometimes!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 07:15 pm
I'm reading "Reading Lolita in Tehran". It makes me angry, but it's very hard to put down.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 08:47 pm
I'm now reading lonely planet's "Antarctica." It's long with 376 pages, and I'm not quite half way through. It's pretty comprehensive about it's history, expeditions, fauna and flora, ecology and global warming and it's effects on the region, and how visitors should be aware of how they impact the environment - what to do and not to do. It even tells about how different countries have impacted Antarctica in negative ways and the damage they have caused. It also includes a 32-page full-color wildlife guide which identifies all the peguins, birds, whales, and seals. It's amazing to see how many different species of penguins live in Antarctica.
0 Replies

peachstate kid

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 06:43 pm
I've just finished reading "First Light" by Brock and Bodie Thoene. It was really good. Does anyone else know of fiction books about religion?
0 Replies

lexi199

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:23 pm
I just finished "my side of the mountain" and #2 of the lirial series.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 02:36 pm
Finished DeMille's "Night Fall" last night - quite an ending!

I just started Dean Koontz's "Life Exepectancy."
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 02:59 pm
A friend loaned me a precious copy of The Trouble with Lichen about a year ago. I accepted it to be nice, figuring I'd hold onto it and then return it.

Well, ok, it got covered by paper int he workroom, and I was about to return it but finished the book I was reading with 15 mins of commute ahead of me.

This book is amazing; written by the gent who wrote The Day of the Triffids, John Wyndham, it's about a bio-chemist, a woman, who discovers that a certain lichen can prolong life by a hundred years and more. Her boss is working on it in secret as well, and they go in different directions with it. The political, economic and moral ramifications are covered and satirized with stinging accuracy.

It's really a gem of a book. Written in 1960, you realize toward the end that no one has said the word "computer!" Sadly, I finished it today, but a fun read!
0 Replies

Smitty61050

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:49 pm
I'm getting close to finishing "Dragons of a Fallen Sun: The War of Souls Volume I". I'm not exactly fond of the story because it is a typical fantasy novel with dwarfs, gnomes, elves, dragons, etc. I tend to like reading fantasy books a lot but not ones that seem to tailor themselves to Tolken's novels. However, someone gave it to me for Christmas and I needed a new book to read so I figured I would give it a shot. The only problem is that it is written well enough to make me want to know what happens in the second and third books.

I won't be reading the second book in this series next though. I recently bought the 13th book in a series I've been reading for a few years now. It's titled "Ordermaster". I like the series because it is fantasy, but not your "traditional" fantasy. I would be hard pressed to give a decent description of the series without giving much of the plot away, otherwise I might get into it. Chances are I'll be reading this book next, but my girlfriend got me "America (The Book)" for Christmas and I've really wanted to read it. Maybe I'll flip a coin or something. Razz

EDIT: I just realized that the Daily Show book isn't an actual book, but rather more like "Bart Simpson's Guide to Life" (a childhood favorite). Now I feel kind of silly.
0 Replies

dangerousdashie

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 02:42 pm
I loved the book Warriors Don't Cry.
its a true story about this girl who integrated a high school in the 50s in arkansas.
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:57 am
I have just finished reading Brilliance Of The Moon, the third and final book in the Tales of the Otori trilogy by Lian Hearn. That was excellent.
Currently I'm reading Montmorency : On The Rocks by Elanor Updale.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:09 am
Yuck--I tried to finish what was billed as an historical mystery by Candace Robb, first in a series. I skipped ahead and won't pick up another.
Too much info where you didn't need it, not enough where you did.
Steven Saylor is one author who has mastered the art of beautiful writing, compelling mysteries, genuine and interesting characters, great plots and convincing historical background woven through a story. Hard to find many others.

So having left that book at an inn, I'm now reading Without Reservations--about a woman traveliing alone around the world. awesome.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 10:25 pm
Mc Sweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Stories

it's a collection of short stories presented in the style of the great sci-fi mystery anthologies of the 40's and 50's

it's edited by Michael Chabon and has a variety of never before published stories by such writers as Stephen king, Elmore Leonard, Nick Hornby, Neil Gaimen, Dave Eggers, etc
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 10:58 pm
Just finished the quick, little "Holidays On Ice" by David Sedaris. I've had it for a year or two. Just got around to it. Very funny.
0 Replies