What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 07:35 pm
I remember hiding it under my bed when I read Kinsey... long ago. Didn't want to disturb my mother...

I just read Mystic River this week too. I liked it more towards the beginning, thought it was pretty episodic over the length of the book. Well, Lehane is not Hammett, but it did keep up my interest to the finish.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 02:33 am
Barely D'Art but my interest was peaked after seeing the movie which I thought to be very good and after hearing about the study ever since I can remember.

It reads like a serious study and it seems Kinsey was on to something but I think it seems old fashioned because of the societal changes the books; there is also the study of the female.

I would say the real effect of the reports was not that sexual behavior changed but that sexual behavior was outted.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 12:36 pm
I can imagine that it might be interesting, to an extent, to realize what societal views of sexuality must have been like pre-Kinsey.

Of course, there are those today who want to fight Kinsey. This movie is bringing them to the forefront. Yet another manifestation of how the Dark Ages are returning in the country...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 07:50 am
Isn't that the truth. The thing is why, why, why?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 04:16 pm
"Vile Bodies" Evelyn Waugh. Only read "Decline and Fall" before. Funny s---!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 04:44 pm
I just finished reading "Endurance" by Afred Lansing. It's based on Ernest Shakleton's incredible journey to save his men on Elephant Island. If you enjoy reading about a thrilling human experience about the 'endurance and heoric bravery' of men, read Endurance. This book was recommended by an admiral I met on my recent Trans-Atlantic cruise when I told him I was going to the Antarctica in January. He said all his children and grandchildren also read it. I couldn't help but shed a few tears reading the last chapter and the epilogue.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 06:47 pm
Speaking of endurance; I finished Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1,700 Miles of Australian Outback by Kirsten Davidson (after some schmo launched my nice light mystery down the gap at the BART station--grrr).

About a young woman's trek with 4 camels across Australia. Unbelievable: she has to start from scratch by getting a job to raise money; learn how to train camels; and get things together to do this huge effort. There are moments of absolute hysteria, moments of genuine terror and moments where I was bawling on BART. Talk about endurance and bravery, ci, you might enjoy this!
A really amazing read.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 06:56 pm
Okay, louis, that'll be my next assignment. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 06:59 pm
I typed "kirsten davidson" in a search engine, and got this. http://www.jarvision.com/kd.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 07:14 pm
I dropped Thje Day I Turned Uncool so I could get it into a box and mailed off to my sister. Now, I'm reading book the second of A Series Of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 07:44 pm
Louis? that's Lois...

Maybe one of these days when I get to SF again I can meet both Lois and CI. LoisL, you weren't aware of our a2k meeting in SF last April, I don't think. Would have been fun to meet you. I stayed at the Adagio on Geary and a bunch of other folks, Diane and Dys and Lola and Blatham and Mr & Mrs. PDiddie stayed at that Englishy place on Mason, King George. And Mr. & Mrs. CI, who live in the bay area, and JJorge from the eastern u.s., joined us walking and talking and eating...

I am hoping to get there for the next PHOTO SF show, which I think is in July, though chances are some pals from Larkspur will join me for part of it.

Please excuse diversion, back to books -
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:13 pm
Oh, dear--I hate when my brain does that! Was about to ship something to niece named Kristen. doy.
It's Robyn Davidson!
That would be pretty amazing--6 year old tackles the outback after birthday party!
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:36 pm
I am now working through the John Sandford "Prey" series. Four down, several to go.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:25 am
bermbits, what's the Prey series like?

Osso--no I was still disconnected to the hive! I wish I'd known. Hope you do come down in summer--would love to meet with you and other a2k'ers out west!
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 04:34 am
loislane17 - Sandford tells a a good story - The main character is good but human with his appetite for women and violence.

He's pretty much almost right up there Lee Child and Ridley Pearson.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:42 pm
Women are okay, but violence?
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 02:57 pm
Gee, he could save time and effort and look for violent women....
0 Replies

unluckyinlove

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:48 pm
what I'm reading...
I am on the last few pages of "the davinci code"- I love it, it is giving me a different perspective on the folklore of religion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 06:04 pm
un, How so?
0 Replies

unluckyinlove

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 06:23 pm
to ciserone
For instance: in the painting of The last Supper. Over the years this painting has been "touched up" by many different artists and alot of times filled in based on their perspective of what the last supper would look like. If you look at the original you will see that the person sitting at jesus's right resembles a woman, They say that the person is Mary Magdalin. They are wearing the same clothes but the opposite (i.e. jesus wore a white gown with a blue "sash"- i don't know what they are called- and mary wore a blue gown woth a white sash) That was a form of symbolism, "one in eachother"- aparently, which this doesn't come off as being too far from the truth, jesus and mary magdaline were "partners" and after jesus's death mary magdalin was to take over the church. After jesus's death the apostles were so angry at the fact that the church was going to be left to a woman that they made her out to be a whore so that the townspeople would kill her for her sins. Mary magdaline had then escaped to a small town and there she raised her daughter in secracy- sara.

It may be a load of crap, but it is easier to beleive that Jesus was a living breathing man who DID have sex like the rest of us, than to believe he didn't partake in sex because he was a "supreme being"- I understand that the subject of religion is very touchy, and alot of people take religious critism to heart- but in my point of view I will keep an open mind.
0 Replies