What BOOK are you reading right now?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 05:31 pm
Just got the book "Endurance" by Afred Lansing in today's mail. I ordered this book, because I'll be on my way to Antarctica on January 12, and an admiral I met on my recent transAtlantic cruise recommended it. It's about Shakelton's incredible voyage from Elephant Island to South Georgia to save his 22 men stranded on the island. It's 243 pages long, so it'll probably take me a good part of the week to finish it.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 06:05 pm
I've been reading "Love, Medicine and Miracles" Lessons learned about Self healing from a Surgeons experience with exceptional patients. It's basically about "minding the body" and then "embodying the mind"
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
What's the matter with Kansas?

Insightful, some stretched ideas but kind of fun to think about.

Joe
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:47 pm
Neil Gordon's The Company You Keep. I have trouble putting it down to get dressed and go to work, even though I can imagine some long stretches over the first third of the book being trying for someone not as interested in the subject as I am.

http://www.frontlist.com/detail/0142004529
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:37 pm
Need to finish Great Unraveling.

Put in an order for Conscience Of A Liberal, by the late Senator Paul Wellstone.

Just to remind me a better world is possible.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 12:24 am
Alas, I'm in a book-less zone at the moment! Sad This feels very peculiar & I hope this doesn't last too long - it doesn't feel natural at all! To compensate, I'm reading my daily newspaper from cover to cover, endless news sites on the internet, information on packets bought from the supermarket, phone books ....... No not, really :wink: ... But it's interesting, this compulsion to read the printed word, wherever it exists, isn't it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 12:39 pm
I'm still reading The Company You Keep, still engrossed as I near the end of it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 12:53 pm
Yipeee! Finished The Samurai's Garden last night. It's an engrossing story about a Chinese college student who is sent to Japan to be with his father to recourperate from being sick, because the air in Hong Kong is not healthy. His father is a businessman, who lives in Kobe, but sent to a small town, Tarumi, where they own a home. The story takes place in 1938 when Japan is aggressively taking over China, and approaching Hong Kong, where his family lives. It's a bitter-sweet story of mixed emotions between this young man living in Japan, and making friends in a country where it's military is killing his own people. I highly recommend this book by Gail Tsukiyama, who's mother is Chinese, and father Japanese.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 01:00 pm
"Comedy Writing Secrets" by Melvin Helitzer.

Nothing to do with me trying to write comedy.

But if I'm suddenly hilarious in a month or so, you know why.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 01:01 pm
You're very funny already...I'm afraid my heart won't be able to take Slappy funnier. I'm writing my will.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 01:07 pm
Yeah, slappy is dangerous to our senior health, and my doctor won't prescribe any more medication called "anti-slappy" pill. My doc said, too much is as bad as not enough!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 03:06 pm
Watch out! I'm stickin' and movin'.
0 Replies

SebastianG

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 04:11 pm
Well, there are some interesting books being read by all here. Currently i'm making my way through Daniel Vickers' Farmers & Fishermen in Essex County.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:24 pm
Ahh, now I'm finally into Pompeii. Very interesting--I hadn't really considered the fact that prior to its eruption, there was no one who knew that Vesuvius was anything more than a mountain. They have all these clues: earthquakes, steam vents etc. and no way to analyze or name it.

It takes place the 2-3 days before and I guess a day or so after. Most chapters are headed as hourly segments (not every hour!).

The hero is the Aquarius, or manager of the aquaducts etc. Big fun. He's a bit strait-laced, but its a fun read!
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:56 pm
The Idiot - Dostoevsky

Amazing author; I'm trying to work through all of his stuff. Already read Crime and Punishment, Notes from Underground, and Brothers Karamazov. This book seems promising.
0 Replies

pajamazzon

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:00 pm
i'm reading thomas harris hannibal
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:02 pm
The FountainHead -Ayn Rand

I was reading October Sky and the book was mentioned in the story so i decided to read it =P
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 01:14 pm
What book are you reading?
Mystic River, by Dennis Lehane. Absolutely riveting murder mystery, couldn't put it down and didn't. Haven't seen the movie but will, now.

Ordered 2 books from B.O.M Club, Animal Crackers by Hannah Tinti and The First Desire by Nancy Reisman - just because they were so highly recommended by a book club judge. God-awful books, both.

Animal Crackers is a bunch of short stories of how some people, some kids are cruel and nasty-mean to animals, people too. The difference in this book is it simply tells the story, with no hope for change, no punishment, no remorse from the characters. They never got caught. The book, said one critic, "ushers in a giant." Another said it makes your skin crawl.

First Desire was so very dry, depressing.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:00 pm
Sexual Behavior in the Human Male by Kinsey, Pomeroy, and Maertin.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:41 pm
A book that's certainly back in the news, Joanne! Is it readable?
0 Replies