What BOOK are you reading right now?

maya

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:48 am
Thoreaus Essays, and The Judas Pair(a Lovejoy mystery)
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:16 pm
Killing Floor by Lee Child
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:25 pm
Have I got some goodies for you! I finished reading "The Women of Silk" by Gail Tsukiyama on my way to Lisbon last month, and I'm now reading her second book, "the Samurai's Garden." If you enjoy reading about Asians and Asia, Tsukiyama is just the novelist for you. She develops her characters and the settings in a way that brings you to the time and place with sensitivity and soul. She was born to a Chinese mother and a Japanese father in San Francisco. I'm hooked!
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:02 am
I'll have to have a look Cicerone. I got frustrated with all those same same geisha books for awhile there.
I just finished "Voss" by Patrick White.
About to start either Yann Martel's first book or "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clark.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:02 am
Invisible Cities--Italo Calvino
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:41 pm
Just finished The Tattooed Girl - Joyce Carol Oates.
I took to it better than We Were The Mullvarneys.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:16 pm
I just started a short little book called The DFay I Turned Uncool by Dan Zevin, a genXer.
0 Replies

askchester

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:39 pm
the letters of vincent van gogh
the doors of perception and heaven and hell-aldous huxley
uylesses-james joyce
the book of disquiet-fernando pessoa
the dream songs-john berryman
the yage letters-burroughs and ginsberg
four quartets-ts eliot
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:59 pm
chester, When I go to Amsterdam in May, I'm going to visit the Van Gogh Museum. What did you learn about Van Gogh from his letters? Many years ago, the Los Angeles Museum of Art had a special on 70 of Van Gogh paintings that my wife and I flew down for. It was a great treat to see the master's works, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of them again. The Potato Eaters is a haunting picture of life during his period.
0 Replies

askchester

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:05 pm
he was a hard worker
and he never stopped painting, drawing, or anything unless he had to
he also sheltered a pregnant and ill prostitute during the middle of winter and took a lot of crap for that but his morals were unwavering due to his pious upbringing and his own philosophy of hard work and helping those he can

not only one of the greatest rtists ever but also a good man
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 12:37 am
welcome chester!
You read like I do most of the time... swapping from book to book.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:59 am
ben, We should start a book swapping club on a2k. Wink
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:05 pm
there is a post about that, and well, you can try to get one of those first if you want, but it was a mess i think. I seems to have been stifled due to postage charges. Sad
You can try to get the ball rolling again.

I have been looking at some of the books I have accumulated of late, and thinking "need to lighten the load, need to lighten the possessions..."

Not into possessions - but they accumulate. Especially if you read.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:19 pm
Wouldn't it be neat if we can really get the ball rolling again, and have all the a2kers that have read to book sign it and pass it on?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:41 pm
I'm currently reading "Man and the sea" published in 1970 by Doubleday/natural history press.

Article examples:

The great island of Atlantis by Plato
In the bathysphere by William Beebe
Liquid breathing by Johannes A. Kylstra
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 06:06 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Wouldn't it be neat if we can really get the ball rolling again, and have all the a2kers that have read to book sign it and pass it on?

Tartarin sent me her tapes of The Corrections quite some time ago, when I mentioned I hadn't read the book yet. A really nice thing to do! Apparently she often passed on read books to others, too. Good person, Tartarin ... I miss her!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:31 pm
Haven't heard her name in quite awhile. What ever became of Tartarin?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 05:08 pm
She decided to leave. Others here may be able to explain better than me. Ah, those politics threads! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 05:10 pm
I think she became occupied by other pursuits, including her own web site. I miss her, too.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:21 pm
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

It kinda sucks that I'm reading it without my glasses though. I'm really looking foward to my appointment next week.
That's probably why I have been dragging ...
0 Replies