What BOOK are you reading right now?

Clary

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 02:55 am
Brimstone, I gave my sons (students) for Christmas last year a 20th century classic each, To Kill a Mockingbird was one, Brave New World, and Catch 22. All great and memorable in their way. Have you or anyone read the Pullman trilogy which was voted something like the fifth favourite British book? I'd like to hear what you all think of it.
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 06:31 am
I didn't like the Pullman trilogy - I found them boring, and just not right for me!
Now I'm reading Journey to the River Sea by Iva Ibbotson.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:38 am
Just finished Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time."

Well worth the read!
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 06:34 am
Jer wrote:
Just finished Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time."

Well worth the read!

I read this for the Carnegie Medal, and did not like it at all! Filled with unnecessary detail, just to pad out the book about, the plot was weak, and not interesting. In one sentence I counted the word "and" seven times. A disgrace to the literary world, and people with Aspergers Syndrome
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 09:40 am
brimstone,

I was under the impression that the excessive detail and the literal style of writing was to give the reader a look into the way a child with aspergers perceives the world.

It was my first encounter with aspergers, and I assumed it was somewhat like autism.

Here's a link to an Online Asperger Syndrome Information & Support website.

I don't understand what the disgrace to the literary world or aspergers is in the book. Would love to hear more from you Smile

Cheers,
0 Replies

maya

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 01:38 pm
brimstone, I have a child with what they call "Autism Spectrum" for lack of any real understanding of what is actually going on the the brains of these people, and I found "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" close to what I imagine my sons is thinking . I would suggest it not only to anyone trying to understand the inner workings of the minds involved, but also to anyone who wants to gain insight into the lives of the people who care for people with whatever it is this is. I am curious as to why you would go so far as to call it a disgrace to people with this syndrome, I am also curious as to whether you live with, or are, a person with Aspergers.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 02:25 pm
Finished "Da Vinci Code", but I had to change my plans a bit.

Instead of reading "Tracks", I'm gonna do "The Heart of The Buddha's Teachings".

"Tracks" will be next month.
0 Replies

rasputin

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:37 pm
"My life" by Bill Clinton

first long book for me in a long time, hope it's good.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 01:41 pm
"Shake Hands With the Devil" by Romeo Dallaire - the general in charge of the UN mission in Rwanda during genocide. A true eye-opener, highly recommended!
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:09 pm
"Secrets of the Code" The unautharized guide to the Mysteries behind the Da Vinci Code
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:47 pm
I've not read the Da Vinci code; is it any good?

I'm reading Volume III of Lorca's Collected Poems... it is a real shame that he died so early...

0 Replies

maya

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:07 am
The Iceman Cometh-Eugene O'Neill

I love everything he's written. I am one of those peculiar people who finds it necessary to visit his grave every of often just to say thanks.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 05:39 am
Ice Road by Gillian Slovo. Life, love, death & political intrigue in Leningrad in the 1930s. Stalin has turned against the city & things are becoming decidely unpleasant. I'm about half way through & am thoroughly engrossed.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 06:04 am
Just started reading The Kite Runner last night. About 100 pages into it. Hell of a book so far.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 06:46 am
Arthur by Stephen Lawhead. It's the third in a series. Not a bad mythological read.

The Da Vinci Code was a good read, but nowhere worth all the hype. Can't figure that one out.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 04:09 pm
WHAT BOOK ...
i'm reading (for the second time) : BREAKING THE CODE - WESTMINSTER DIARIES by gyles brandreth. this is a book for political junkies !!! gb was a member of parliament and later a whip in the government of john major. he had been in the TV and entertainment business before and knew a good many of the "glam crowd" before becoming a MP. he kept a diary of the goings on from 1990 to 1997 (when he lost his seat). having served as a whip, he was expected "not to break the code (of silence)" after being defeated. i'm glad he broke the code ! this is living history ! it's as if "yes, minister" and "yes, prime-minister" had been produced as documentaries . absolutely hilarious ! here is what the SUNDAY TELEGRPH had to say : "hilariously accurate...portraits withering in their accuracy...a witty memoir of the years the conservatives might want to forget...irresistible ". gb was quite severely chastised by his former "comrades-in-arms" for telling on them. wonderful stories about "teatime" in the house of commons....HERE IS GYLES !
0 Replies

Herbc4

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 12:06 pm
Sun-tzu, The Art of War, New Translation by Ralph D. Sawyer. Has anyone read a better translation?
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 01:56 pm
House of Sand and Fog - Andre Dubus III
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 01:19 pm
maya wrote:
brimstone, I have a child with what they call "Autism Spectrum" for lack of any real understanding of what is actually going on the the brains of these people, and I found "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" close to what I imagine my sons is thinking . I would suggest it not only to anyone trying to understand the inner workings of the minds involved, but also to anyone who wants to gain insight into the lives of the people who care for people with whatever it is this is. I am curious as to why you would go so far as to call it a disgrace to people with this syndrome, I am also curious as to whether you live with, or are, a person with Aspergers.

This book did not deserve to win so many prizes, and be nominated for so many awards. A piece of crap.
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 01:20 pm
Damn double posts... sorry
0 Replies