What BOOK are you reading right now?

quinn1

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 09:24 am
George-no, surprisingly its one of few of Dickens I didnt get in a collection when I was younger so I hadnt read it before. I look forward to it. Actually I wanted to read it before I saw the latest movie but, I couldnt hold out, then, the movie spurred me on.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:25 am
I love those talking books...the narrator of
Crime and Punishment was simply superb....
unfortunately my library doesn't have much yet
on CD....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:08 am
My library is much the same, shepaints. I've had to resort to their books on cassette.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 12:39 pm
Strangely, one can't get many classics on CD or tape here; but you can get loads of new books on these.

I LOVE the Winter's Tale, by the way, Radical Edward, but my favourite play by Shakespeare has to be either Hamlet or The Tempest...

I'm re-reading an old favourite; Jane Austen's 'Emma.' I love it..

0 Replies

maya

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 06:14 am
Pat Barker, start with Regeneration. She is absolutely brilliant
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 06:59 am
Re-reading Richard B. Sewall's - The Life of Emili Dickinson.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 03:32 pm
'The stranger beside me' by Anne Rule - it's the Ted Bundy story. Anne Rule actually was a friend of Ted Bundy's when she got the contract to write about the missing girls - without knowing that Ted Bundy would turn out to be a serial killer. Chilling...
0 Replies

DJPrecocious

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:24 pm
I'm reading Darwin's blackx, The hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy, and rereading the silmarillion right now. I read way too much
0 Replies

DJPrecocious

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:24 pm
***Darwin's black box...it's about evolution
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 01:00 pm
NeoGuin wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I hadn't planned to read it, but a neighbor has lent me The Da Vinci Code. Looks pretty interesting.

This is my book for June and maybe parts of July.

I read it - it was great - hope you like it as well, it gives you a lot to think about.

Just finished "The Picture of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wilde

Now Twisted Evil "The Inferno" by Dante Alighieri
0 Replies

jatza

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:16 pm
I just finished "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. I'm sure the movie will be a big "chick flick," but if you like the romance type novels, it's really good.

I'm in the middle of Mr. Maybe, the humorous British novel by Jane Green. Most young woman would probobly appreciate the humor.

I'm thinking about reading "The Stranger" by Albert Camus again.
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:12 am
Right now, I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. I'm just at the court scene, where the black man is on trial for the white girl's rape. Great so far, and I've only been reading it for a few days!
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:31 am
I am reading,"The Seat Of The Soul," by Gary Zukav. No wonder my life is in such a mess,I have done evrytrhing wrong from birth to now.

Joe Harris
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:55 am
Oh Joe, it can't be that bad! Everything teaches you something!

I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. It has been recommended to me many times but the title put me off. It's pretty harsh but well written and interesting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:59 am
Wow, I haven't been here for a while. I re-read Larry Niven's Neutron Star (a collection of shorts from "Known Space"). I am now reading Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis. For those who don't know it, it's a sort of history and documentary about the game and world of Scrabble.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:13 am
Oh Littlek, do tell about Word Freak because, as I am one, it sounds intriguing.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:11 pm
Brimstone.

That's a classic. I'll have to read it again soon. I just moved to Alabama a couple of years ago, and I have been dosing myself with southern writers. Harper Lee went to school here.

Right now I am reading Confederacy of Dunces for the first time. The clash of Toole's hyperreal characters is a treat.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:21 pm
A volume of Proust short stories, some of them recently discovered.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:41 pm
have two books on the go (from library) : "the mammoth book of how it happened - eyewitness accounts of great historical moments" , edited by jon e. lewis. the other book is an oldie(1968) : "the huxleys by ronald w. clark". those two books should do my summer reading for the next 2-3 weeks. hbg
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 02:11 am
I've finished To Kill A Mockingbird!

I expect to start shortly The Burma Legacy by Jeffery Archer
0 Replies