What BOOK are you reading right now?

Clary

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:58 am
Just finished the Poisonwood Bible, which was great for the first ?400 pages but I think could well have done without the last ?250. It was not an artistic whole, became bitty, I wanted to skip.

Have just been recommended the da Vinci code by my son, so I'm going to read it next.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 03:15 am
I have now quite recently got into the habit of buying The Spectator, weekly magazine, from my local newsstand and reading that, and a quality paper every day, doesn't leave me any waking time to read novels, I find. However I got a couple of books for my recent birthday, which I'm going to attempt...they were requested by me after all. One is called "Trawler", which is an account of a voyage on a fishing trawler in the North Sea, and the other is "Yoga for People who Haven't got the Time" or similar title, which is a book of musings, I'm told, similar to "Zen atao Motorcycle Maintenance". Anyone read any of those?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 03:29 am
I just finished reading "A Conspiracy of Paper" by David Liss. It was a historical novel/whodunnit, and wasn't bad at all.

I'm halfway through "From Alexander to Cleopatra" by Dr. Michael Grant. He's one of my favorite historians.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 10:04 am
The Real James Herriot.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:53 pm
The Short Summer of Anarchy, by Enzensberger. I'd read bits and pieces of it before but I'm now finally reading it in full ... was inspired to by a thread here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 05:56 am
Have just finished Geography, by a young Oz writer, Sophie Cunningham. A sort of autobiographical novel, recollecting & recovering from an obsessive relationship. Not bad for a first novel.

I'm thoroughly engrossed in a talking book/novel by another Oz writer, Tim Winton. Dirt Music. About hopes, dreams, disallusionment, etc. A wonderful sense of place (the wide open spaces of Western Australia) & very credible characters. Two more CDs to go ... I can't wait to see what happens.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:38 am
Just finished:

An American Requiem by James Carroll--only fair
Son of the Morning by Joyce Carol Oates--flawed but powerful
My Name is Bill by Susan Cheever--adequate but not great bio of Bill Wilson, who cofounded AA

Now reading:
Inventing a Nation by Gore Vidal--excellent study of the Founding Fathers by our greatest writer
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:04 am
Welcome back, larry richette.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:49 pm
Thanks, fbaezer. It's nice to BE back.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:04 pm
The Brethren-John Grisham
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:14 am
Larry! Very Happy Nice to see you! A blast from the past!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 07:57 am
Hi Larry! Welcome back! I look forward to hearing more of your recommendations and opinions -- in fact, I've already tagged Before Sunset as a film to see. p
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:47 am
Piffka wrote:
Hi Larry! Welcome back! I look forward to hearing more of your recommendations and opinions -- in fact, I've already tagged Before Sunset as a film to see. p

We want to see that too, and the first film....is that "Before Sunset"? made about 1995- does anyone know how we could get a copy of that?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 09:28 am
Hi McTag! Are you familiar with the website Internet Movie Database or IMDb.com? It has loads of information about films from all over the world and has lots of hot-links. Imdb is set up for American viewers -- for example, by keying in my zipcode, I can find out where a film is playing, including a link to that theater -- but imdb also has information on availability internationally. You can check out "company credits" to find out who owns the public performance rights in your country.

imdb -- Before Sunset

According to imdb, the first film was called Before Sunrise and is available on DVD from Amazon.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:14 am
Cheers Piff

Will look into this.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:25 am
Thanks, Msolga and Piffka! Nice to be welcomed back!

As far as BEFORE SUNRISE, any half-decent video store should be able to rent it to you. Mine did.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:42 am
Larry, it is great to have you back. I must confess that I have not been around all that much--too busy with other aspects of life I guess.

My own recent reading has been as follows:
A Passage to India--Forester
Women in Love--Lawrence
The Short Stories of John Cheever
The Short Stories of Hemingway
Ireland (Selected Short Stories)--William Trevor (Dark Stuff, most of it)
Selected Stories--Alice Munro
Envy--Joseph Epstein

Next up: Humboldt's Gift--Saul Bellow

Every bit of this has been absorbing reading.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:53 am
I failed to mention that Mrs. Hazlitt is reading to me from the Da Vinci Code. What an amazing story.

It is possible that I reported this earlier, but a few months ago I went out to my daughter's church to hear my grandson do a cello piece during the service. I noticed in the church program that on Wednesday night of that week they were having a lecture debunking The Di Vinci Code. Not having read the book, and not wanting to be an embarrassment to my daughter, I did not attend; although, I'm sure it would have been an interesting hour.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:03 am
Larry, Without going too nuts with it, why do you think Vidal is our greatest writer. I've only read a few of his essays, all of which I liked. If I had to pick a favorite, I think it would be Faulkner--except that, in places, he's so hard to read.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:00 am
I'm finding the da Vinci code a jolly good yarn, although being a fanatic on the word games of A2K I got the first clue at once!! But not really very well written - none of the haunting atmosphere of The Name of the Rose which is a similar sort of tale. Still, as a wannabe author, I admire anyone who can make you turn the page...
0 Replies