What BOOK are you reading right now?

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 11:18 am
I bought the book the HCE has highly recommended on abuzz, it's called Lanark; A Life in Four Books, but haven't started it yet. Anybody read that?

At the University Bookstore yesterday I finally bought myself a volume of ESVM poetry -- Early Poems, the first three original volumes. It is lovely, I started reading it while eating dinner at a Thai restaurant. I'm so pleased.

I'm still plowing through True North, Kerr Conway is such an elitist [size=7](and dare I say it, a Toady)... [/size]I don't like her so much anymore.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 11:26 am
Jjorge, that's great!
My father-in-law (may he rest in Peace) started out doing that. It is so appreciated. He started a radio program called "Science of our Times."

Do they tape your stories as well, so that people who don't tune it can hear you later??

Little K! How could you put them to sleep??? Very Happy Rolling Eyes Very Happy
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 12:05 pm
Piffka

I tape in the studio one hour per week. The tapes are subsequently broadcast in the evening on, 'Book Hour'. There are a number of other volunteers who are reading novels, histories, biographies etc in installments.

I've gone on live a couple of times as a fill-in on the morning news.* The news is a two hour program and is done by two people who alternate reading articles from the Providence Journal and one or two other RI dailies. The listeners seem to especially enjoy the smaller local stories that they wouldn't hear on the regular radio stations.
Our listeners, who on the average are elderly, indicated in a recent survey that what they most appreciate are (I guess 'enjoy' would not be the right word) - the obituaries.

* This is the basis for my claim to being: 'A former co-anchor'.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 12:06 pm
<bursts out laughing!!>

Oh dear!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 12:20 pm
Piffka - the early poems collection of ESVM is the one i keep nearby. The other poetry book at my side these days is Book 1 of Lyric and Longer Poems. I'm really enjoying it a lot. Bringing back a lot of memories of how much I have always loved poetry. I can't say I'm really reading it - just dipping into it every day or so.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 12:23 pm
When I get some time I'm going to look for her prose books written by "Nancy Boyd" for spending money. I'd also like to see her plays that she wrote for the Provincetown Players.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 09:11 pm
Piffka, my wife is currently reading Nancy Milfords bioagraphy of ESVM, so I get frequent up dates and hear interesting passages including nearly all the poems that are in the book. She is enjoying the biography, and I am trying to think of an occasion to buy her a book of poetry. Maybe Thanksgiving will do.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 09:17 pm
We are reading "Empire Falls" by Richard Russo.I suppose we are a hundred pages into it. I think it has good characterization. The people and their interactions seem like something that could happen. The problems seem real and not melodramatic. We both llike the novel.

I had previously read "Straight Man," which was also good.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 10:43 pm
what am i reading?
right now, it is... THE LOVELY BONES and I am.......I do not know quite what to call it........or exactly how to describe it.....but I am reading it
all the same.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 07:16 am
Hi Hazlitt - I had that book in my hand just before I bought the poetry book! But at this time of year I don't like to buy for myself, Santa may be watching! I do plan to read it, I'm sure it will surface near me sometime soon.

When you say that you and your wife are reading a book together... do you read aloud to each other? That seems so nice!

Babs -- What do you mean? Laughing
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:21 am
I'm reading "Straight Man" now. I'm enjoying Russo's wit and insight into character, come to think of it Hazlitt his books would make good reading aloud. I also have Nadine Gordimer's "The Pickup" sitting by my bed as the next book to read. Then there's the Harry Potter #4, which my daughter is crazy about, so it's a chapter aloud every night of that, too. I must say I'm getting tired of Harry Potter.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:22 pm
Piffka, my weife is a retired school teacher, 4th and 5th grades. She loved reading to the children. Years ago she started reading short stories to me. Finally we worked our way into novels. It goes pretty slow, but if you read for 45 minutes or an hour a day, it is surprising how much you accomplish in a year.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:34 pm
Dream, yes, I too think Russo is good out loud.

Do any of you with children read the Richard Peck books? They are written for early teens. Martha recently read aloud his "A Year Down Yonder" and "A Long way from Chicago." These are good books especially for girls. Peck has the mid-west rural mentality and dialect down cold. He grew up in Decatur, Illinois and now lives in N.Y.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 01:02 pm
littlek wrote:
jjorge - I tried to read text books for blind students in college. My voice was putting the poor guy to sleep, so he asked for a new reader. Sigh.

Little K

You might have a gold mine there! Have you ever tried to market it?
There are millions of insomniacs in the English-speaking world. You could record something and sell it. Think of all the people you'd help. :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 12:06 pm
<big smile> Good idea, Jorge!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:43 pm
A Kahlil Gabran compilation, Billy Budd by Hermann Melville, The European Challenge - Time Life Books, National Geographics and Astronomy Magazine - current issues - Just finished Blood and Gold by Anne Rice, Insomnia by Steven King and a compliation of short stories from O'Henry. Also, I'm trying to get started on a Civil War book from National Geographics (mainly looking at pictures right now).
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:57 pm
Bill W -- great quote!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 12:20 am
jjorge! Good idea, but alas, it's not marketable....

I'm STILL reading the same damned book....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 12:22 am
oopsie!

Jjorge - that is marketablwe, but I don't want to become "that lady who's voice puts you to sleep". You know, kind of like the less annoying, but more pathetic version of the voicemail lady.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 12:27 am
I'd pay for anything that could put me to sleep right now. :-(
0 Replies