What BOOK are you reading right now?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2021 04:08 am
I'm currently reading The Fabled Coast by Sophia Kinshill and Jennifer Westwood.

It's a collection of folk tales from the coasts of Britain and Ireland, lots of ghost ships, mermaids, sunken lands, pirates, smugglers, all sorts of stuff, not all myth, there is some History too.

It's very good if you like folktales which I do.
0 Replies

joshuayuno

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2021 06:58 am
@littlek,
Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead
0 Replies

Sammy00

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 04:47 am
@littlek,
My favorite book is Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. The story is described so realistically that it seems to you that you are also now in Australia and watching the events. Every story of the main characters touches the soul and you are sincerely worried about them. It is an engaging story filled with murder and mystery. The idea is very interesting. On the first page you will find out that the murder happened. But throughout the story, you have no idea who is the victim. At the same time, the genre cannot be called a detective story. A fascinating book about relationships.
0 Replies

DoubleMax

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2022 02:16 pm
@littlek,
Crime and punishment...
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2022 06:16 pm
She's Not There, by Joy Fielding. It's really good.
The Anointed

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 02:00 am
@Yalow,
SAPIENS, A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 02:02 am
I'm reading a biography of Regency clown Joe Grimaldi.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 09:50 am
Orley Farm, by Anthony Trollope
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2022 08:36 pm
Cloud Cuckoo Land - Anthony Doerr
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2022 04:57 pm
I just finished Old Bones, by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston. It's a detective novel. The main characters are Nora Kelly, an archeologist, and Corrie Swanson, a FBI agent. Good book.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2022 11:46 am
About She's Not There (Joy Fielding) : The main character's baby is kidnapped. 15 years later, a teenage girl calls her and says she's her daughter...
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2022 12:06 pm
Headed Into the Abyss: The Story of Our Time, and the Future We'll Face, by Brian T. Wilson
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Sun 1 May, 2022 06:15 pm
Finished A Thousand Ships, by Natalie Haynes. It's about the Trojan war, but from the point of view of women. Gives a little bit too much value to beauty, but I liked it.
0 Replies

Nizagin

Reply Tue 3 May, 2022 01:10 am
@littlek,
Hi,
I am reading Riders to the Sea ( Written by Synge). It is a one-act play that focuses on the tragic story of Maurya and her children.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 May, 2022 02:24 am
I'm curre tly reading a textbook on ancient civilisations from the stone age to the classical period.

I've just finished the chapters on Egypt, which I already knew a fair bit about and have just started the chapter on Babylon.

To be honest that's the bit I'm most interested in, I know a lot about the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians, but not much about Babylonians, Assyrians and Hittites.

It's quite a old book. The copy I have had a press cutting of an Am Dram review from the Ayreshire Post dated 23rd April 1954.

The book itself was published between the wars, it personally thanks Howard Carter himself for certain photographs etc. as Carter was still alive when it was written.

Another thing is that the author sets homework at the end of each chapter!

However, what is most telling isn't what is said about ancient cultures, but how he says it.

He definitely has the perpective of a white Christian quasi imperialist. The west definitely is the best, it would be a bit extreme calling him a fascist, but I bet he agreed with Hitler about more than a couple of things.

0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Sat 28 May, 2022 05:02 pm
I've finished Catwoman : Soulstealer. I don't like Sarah J. Maas, but that book was good.
The Anointed

Reply Sat 28 May, 2022 07:51 pm
@Yalow,
Finally finished the book "SAPIENS" A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 11:39 am
I've finished Unconquerable Sun, by Kate Elliott. It's the story of a young princess figthing invaders. I recommend it. A huge book though, five hundred pages.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 04:42 pm
Reading an adventure book about Teddy Roosevelt called The River of Doubt. . It was written by Candice Millard and was a national bestseller around 2005. Approximately 350 pages.

This all takes place a few years after his lost presidential election. This story centered around his nearly-fatal 1914 journey with his son Kermit and an organized group of explorers who traveled down uncharted Amazon territory.
Yalow

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2022 05:25 pm
Finished Nettle and Bone, by T. Kingfisher, about a hard-working princess who saves her sister and herself from an awful situation. I recommend it.