319

What BOOK are you reading right now?

Yalow

1  
Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2022 11:39 am
I've finished Unconquerable Sun, by Kate Elliott. It's the story of a young princess figthing invaders. I recommend it. A huge book though, five hundred pages.

Ragman

2  
Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 04:42 pm
Reading an adventure book about Teddy Roosevelt called The River of Doubt. . It was written by Candice Millard and was a national bestseller around 2005. Approximately 350 pages.

This all takes place a few years after his lost presidential election. This story centered around his nearly-fatal 1914 journey with his son Kermit and an organized group of explorers who traveled down uncharted Amazon territory.
Yalow

2  
Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2022 05:25 pm
Finished Nettle and Bone, by T. Kingfisher, about a hard-working princess who saves her sister and herself from an awful situation. I recommend it.

1  
Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 11:03 am
I've just finished Harlequin by Bernard Cornwell.

I bought it because the title is the same as one of mine.

Very good account of the hundred years war.

The central character is an archer whose father was killed in a French raid on his village which also stole a holy relic, (St George's lance) so he goes to France seeking revenge.

Very good account of the Battle of Crecy.
coluber2001

1  
Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 12:50 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

.

I saw the video version of this called Into the Amazon. It's amazing the hardships they endured portaging the enormously heavy dugouts around rapids through the jungle time and time again. Roosevelt was the adventurer, but Rondon was the one who surveyed the river and got them through it.

It was on American Experience on YouTube for a long time, but not anymore. .

hightor

2  
Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 03:18 am
I'm into the second volume of the Autobiography of Mark Twain.

Yalow

1  
Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 04:23 pm

Do you mean that you wrote books yourself?

evag

1  
Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 03:38 am
@littlek,
The Making of a Story: A Norton Guide to Creative Writing. It has been really great. I've been pretty been working pretty diligently with it for the past few days and if nothing else, it has given me a lot to consider about writing and reading. It's engaging and informal and I think when I'm done with it, I think I will have improved my technique, added some new tools, and, through the daily exercises, gotten me into the habit of writing daily. Plus, it's packed with great short stories and essays and excerpts of some others that I am inspired to seek out.

1  
Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 05:22 pm
@Yalow,
Yalow wrote:

I really love her cosmic horror novels. Actually pretty scary stuff. Not sure why but her fantasy stuff don't to immediately grab me when I'm trying to choose what audiobook to get next from Audible.

1  
Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 07:20 pm
The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi. 4/5.
The Broken Room by Peter Clines. 3/5.
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. Coming of age character-driven science fiction. 5/5!

A Prayer for the Crown-Shy (Monk & Robot, #2), a novella by Becky Chambers. 4/5.

Far from the Light of Heaven by Tade Thompson. Finished tonight. 4/5.

Rare memoir:
M Train by Patti Smith. 3/5. A major step down from her Just Kids memoir, 5/5.

Manga:
An Invitation from a Crab by panpanya. 5/5.
Yotsuba&!, Vol. 6. 5/5.