What BOOK are you reading right now?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 11:03 am
I've just finished Harlequin by Bernard Cornwell.

I bought it because the title is the same as one of mine.

Very good account of the hundred years war.

The central character is an archer whose father was killed in a French raid on his village which also stole a holy relic, (St George's lance) so he goes to France seeking revenge.

Very good account of the Battle of Crecy.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 12:50 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Reading an adventure book about Teddy Roosevelt called The River of Doubt. . It was written by Candice Millard and was a national bestseller around 2005. Approximately 350 pages.

This all takes place a few years after his lost presidential election. This story centered around his nearly-fatal 1914 journey with his son Kermit and an organized group of explorers who traveled down uncharted Amazon territory.

I saw the video version of this called Into the Amazon. It's amazing the hardships they endured portaging the enormously heavy dugouts around rapids through the jungle time and time again. Roosevelt was the adventurer, but Rondon was the one who surveyed the river and got them through it.

It was on American Experience on YouTube for a long time, but not anymore. .
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 03:18 am
I'm into the second volume of the Autobiography of Mark Twain.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2022 04:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I bought it because the title is the same as one of mine.

Do you mean that you wrote books yourself?
0 Replies

evag

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 03:38 am
@littlek,
The Making of a Story: A Norton Guide to Creative Writing. It has been really great. I've been pretty been working pretty diligently with it for the past few days and if nothing else, it has given me a lot to consider about writing and reading. It's engaging and informal and I think when I'm done with it, I think I will have improved my technique, added some new tools, and, through the daily exercises, gotten me into the habit of writing daily. Plus, it's packed with great short stories and essays and excerpts of some others that I am inspired to seek out.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 05:22 pm
@Yalow,
Yalow wrote:

Finished Nettle and Bone, by T. Kingfisher, about a hard-working princess who saves her sister and herself from an awful situation. I recommend it.

I really love her cosmic horror novels. Actually pretty scary stuff. Not sure why but her fantasy stuff don't to immediately grab me when I'm trying to choose what audiobook to get next from Audible.

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 07:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi. 4/5.
The Broken Room by Peter Clines. 3/5.
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. Coming of age character-driven science fiction. 5/5!

A Prayer for the Crown-Shy (Monk & Robot, #2), a novella by Becky Chambers. 4/5.

Far from the Light of Heaven by Tade Thompson. Finished tonight. 4/5.

Rare memoir:
M Train by Patti Smith. 3/5. A major step down from her Just Kids memoir, 5/5.

Manga:
An Invitation from a Crab by panpanya. 5/5.
Yotsuba&!, Vol. 6. 5/5.
Yalow

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2022 03:54 pm
Finished The Bees, by Laline Paull. Awesome! It's a must. The main character is... a bee. And no, it's not aimed at children.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2022 10:33 am
Finished Girl Runner by Carrie Snyder. I recommend it.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2022 11:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Really mixed reviews for The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. Really not sure whether to add to my to read list, but appreciate the heads up.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2022 04:52 am
Just finished two by Don DeLillo, White Noise and Libra.
hingehead

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2022 06:43 pm
Talking About a Revolution by Yassmin Abdel-Magied
Slightly disjointed collection of writings, but nonetheless interesting. Some of her thoughts on 'monetising your life' pressures do make me ponder about what it's like to be young in this world.

All Our Shimmering Skies by Trent Dalton has started well but is unmistakably a Trent Dalton book (which is fine, as long as the story he's telling is interesting I'm happy to enjoy his prose).
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 06:24 pm
Finished the Chanur saga, by Carolyn J. Cherryh. Chanur is an alien, an humanoid with the carateristics of a lionness. She's the captain of a ship, and tries to save a male of our species from the grips of the mean Kif.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 06:56 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Just finished two by Don DeLillo, White Noise and Libra.

Did you adore White Noise??
hightor

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 07:39 pm
@Lash,
Oh yeah – it was almost like reading Stephen King – only creepier! It's hyper-real.
Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 11:30 pm
@hightor,
One of my top 10. I’ve got to go back and pick up another DeLillo.
hightor

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2022 06:30 am
@Lash,
Underworld

Lash

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2022 07:02 am
@hightor,
Thanks!
0 Replies

WendyDarling

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2022 05:05 pm
The 100 Day 21 by Kass Morgan. Loving this series so far. The TV series definitely diverged from the books.
0 Replies

wiktordziekonski

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2022 08:20 am
I am reading Harlan Coben's book 'deep in the woods'.
0 Replies