305

What BOOK are you reading right now?

BillW

1  
Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2021 11:12 am
@roger,
I guess I should have been more explicit. Hemingway drove an ambulance as a.volunteer for the American Red Cross in Italy during WWI. It isn't exactly a nurse job, but close. He was also seriously injured selling cigarettes and candy to GIs in 1918 in Austria.

I must say I read most of his books and enjoyed his timing and phraseology.

1  
Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 09:14 pm
@BillW,
I just reread The Old Man and the Sea - mainly because I wanted to reacquaint myself with his prose style, but also because I was much too young to appreciate it the first time. Turns out I had almost completely forgotten how it ends.
BillW

1  
Reply Fri 14 May, 2021 06:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I always forget endings. It is a strange thing about me; but, I like it. The Old Man and the Sea, that really sounds like a good read for the 3rd or 4th time! But, maybe the movie, that was a good movie - Spencer Tracy if I remember correctly.

The book/movie gave me an idea for a book combined with Hemingway's Spanish Civil War days. A very skilled surgeon someway gets cased away alone at sea with a lot of medical equipment and supplies (he was on a mission or something, backup details can be added for filler). He ends up out there for days without food and is facing dying; so he starts eating himself. He is rescued a few weeks later, barely alive, with both legs and one arm missing.

1  
Reply Fri 14 May, 2021 06:27 pm
@BillW,
He would have to be an excellent doctor.
BillW

1  
Reply Fri 14 May, 2021 06:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
👍

BillRM

2  
Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 12:47 pm
@BillW,
Too bad this bright doctor did not think of fishing before cutting himself up.

0  
Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 03:25 pm
@BillRM,
LOL! Laughing

ehBeth

1  
Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 11:05 am
Do not say we have nothing / by Madeleine Thien

1  
Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 12:13 pm
I've taken to browsing the Gutenburg Project. Reading H G Wells' The Red Room just now.

PremierProgramExness

-2  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2021 03:11 pm
@littlek,
godfather

1  
Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2021 03:48 pm
@PremierProgramExness,
Here is your problem in a nutshell. You represent a company that supposedly gives exam success and you fall at the first hurdle.

There is no book called godfather. Note your use of lower case g.

The book is called The Godfather by Mario Puzo. Note the correct use of capital T and G.

How on Earth can you expect anyone to take your company seriously when you make such basic errors?

This is Kindergarten stuff. Most primary kids would not make the mistake you just made.

1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2021 09:34 am
Sean B Carroll's new one A Series of Fortunate Events Puts a nice shiny nail into the ID mentality , all done obliquely since hi book reviews actual evidence ( absentee objects in IDer worlds)

hightor

1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2021 12:17 pm
Finally getting around to reading David McCullough's The Great Bridge. A history of the planning and building of the Brooklyn Bridge and a biography of the builder and his son, it came out fifty years ago. The engineering truth on display could be pretty accurately shortened to; steel in tension, granite in compression. It's a very enjoyable read.

George

1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2021 04:41 pm
_The_Indispensables_ by Patrick K O'Donnell

The story of the Marblehead Regiment in the American Revolution
hingehead

1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2021 07:22 pm
@George,
I started reading 4 at the same time on a recentish holiday

Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel (finished it - pretty good 4/5)

A Letter to Layla: Travels to Our Deep Past and Near Future - Ramona Koval (still only half way throught but really enjoying it (I find it hard to find time to long read when I'm not on vacation)

Moneyland: Why Thieves and Crooks Now Rule the World and How To Take It Back - Oliver Bullough (early on finding it a little heavy going)

Factfulness - Hans Rosling (hoping this gets better - author is a bit annoying at the start, not far enough in to make a call)

Therthe

-1  
Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2021 06:51 am
@Sturgis,
I've re-read Harry Potter 25 times !!)
coluber2001

1  
Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2021 03:22 pm
@Therthe,
Excellent reading. The movies are good too.

garnek

1  
Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2021 01:13 pm
I was reading the LotR books but then I needed to read two other ones and I haven't read The Two Towers or The Return of the King because probbly those two books got me bad, I guess, I actually liked one but I didn't finished it, the closest to reading now is playing some of these interactive novels/choice-of games like The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante (which is a visual novel, because it has drawings to visualize what's happening on the scene, but it reads like a novel) and the Infinity saga (it only has two games completed and one on beta, the games are Sabres of Infinity and Guns of infinity, while the beta one is Lords of Infinity).

1  
Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2021 01:27 pm
@Therthe,
Therthe wrote:

I've re-read Harry Potter 25 times !!)

I read the first four.