What BOOK are you reading right now?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2021 06:27 pm
@BillW,
He would have to be an excellent doctor.
BillW

Reply Fri 14 May, 2021 06:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
👍
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 12:47 pm
@BillW,
Too bad this bright doctor did not think of fishing before cutting himself up.
oralloy

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 03:25 pm
@BillRM,
LOL! Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 11:05 am
Do not say we have nothing / by Madeleine Thien
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 12:13 pm
I've taken to browsing the Gutenburg Project. Reading H G Wells' The Red Room just now.
0 Replies

PremierProgramExness

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2021 03:11 pm
@littlek,
godfather
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2021 03:48 pm
@PremierProgramExness,
Here is your problem in a nutshell. You represent a company that supposedly gives exam success and you fall at the first hurdle.

There is no book called godfather. Note your use of lower case g.

The book is called The Godfather by Mario Puzo. Note the correct use of capital T and G.

How on Earth can you expect anyone to take your company seriously when you make such basic errors?

This is Kindergarten stuff. Most primary kids would not make the mistake you just made.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2021 09:34 am
Sean B Carroll's new one A Series of Fortunate Events Puts a nice shiny nail into the ID mentality , all done obliquely since hi book reviews actual evidence ( absentee objects in IDer worlds)
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2021 12:17 pm
Finally getting around to reading David McCullough's The Great Bridge. A history of the planning and building of the Brooklyn Bridge and a biography of the builder and his son, it came out fifty years ago. The engineering truth on display could be pretty accurately shortened to; steel in tension, granite in compression. It's a very enjoyable read.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2021 04:41 pm
_The_Indispensables_ by Patrick K O'Donnell

The story of the Marblehead Regiment in the American Revolution
hingehead

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2021 07:22 pm
@George,
I started reading 4 at the same time on a recentish holiday

Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel (finished it - pretty good 4/5)

A Letter to Layla: Travels to Our Deep Past and Near Future - Ramona Koval (still only half way throught but really enjoying it (I find it hard to find time to long read when I'm not on vacation)

Moneyland: Why Thieves and Crooks Now Rule the World and How To Take It Back - Oliver Bullough (early on finding it a little heavy going)

Factfulness - Hans Rosling (hoping this gets better - author is a bit annoying at the start, not far enough in to make a call)
0 Replies

Therthe

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2021 06:51 am
@Sturgis,
I've re-read Harry Potter 25 times !!)
coluber2001

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2021 03:22 pm
@Therthe,
Excellent reading. The movies are good too.
0 Replies

garnek

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2021 01:13 pm
I was reading the LotR books but then I needed to read two other ones and I haven't read The Two Towers or The Return of the King because probbly those two books got me bad, I guess, I actually liked one but I didn't finished it, the closest to reading now is playing some of these interactive novels/choice-of games like The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante (which is a visual novel, because it has drawings to visualize what's happening on the scene, but it reads like a novel) and the Infinity saga (it only has two games completed and one on beta, the games are Sabres of Infinity and Guns of infinity, while the beta one is Lords of Infinity).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2021 01:27 pm
@Therthe,
Therthe wrote:

I've re-read Harry Potter 25 times !!)

I read the first four.
BillRM

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 03:35 pm
I just was getting ready to enjoy the writings once more of James P Hogan who was a very hard science fiction author with an engineering background when I made the error of looking up the man history.

He was a racist and a and holocaust denier of all things a fact that I had no clue of while readings his work.

Damn it going to be interesting to see if I can still enjoy his writings an judge him only by his science fiction writings.
BillRM

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 03:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think there must be magic for young children to love those fairly complex and long books so greatly that they got their parents to take them to bookstores in the middle of the night to get the next copy of the Potters books as soon as they was released.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 03:42 pm
@BillRM,
I've had the same experience with people I have check their history. They never remain the same in my mind.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 03:46 pm
@BillW,
I compartmentalize as many artists, authors, and such as I can. I could name some who still leave a bad thought behind it all.
0 Replies