What BOOK are you reading right now?

roger

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 07:50 pm
@Roberta,
I've read a bunch of Rankin's stuff. I never worry much about chronological order. Usually an impossibility when working with our public library.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 08:20 pm
@Roberta,
I’ve liked the bit of Rankin I’ve read
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 05:21 pm
Halfway through
https://www.booktopia.com.au/http_coversbooktopiacomau/big/9781460757765/8012/boy-swallows-universe.webp

It's great!
0 Replies

Juicy

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 08:51 am
I’ve read most of book called "Little Women" by Louise May Alcott. The novel is about four sisters, their life, friendship, growing up. In short, for me it’s a one-time book. Of course, today the book will seem very boring for modern young girls. There is not even a storyline here. Description of their boring measured life, their worries, children's desires. Although it would be useful for them to read, because children's selfishness is still relevant today. This book is also suitable for a more adult female audience, there is something to think about child-rearing. The story is not modern at all, and the book is not very exciting, but I do not regret having read it. A recommendation only for lovers of women's classics.
coluber2001

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2020 04:44 pm
@Juicy,
The 2019 film is quite good, but I haven't read the book.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jdgAAOSwwjVe4Lxc/s-l300.jpg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2020 03:21 pm
“Shoe Dog” by Phil Knight, entrepreneur and charitable philanthropist evolving from 1962 to present day.

The story of the man who built (from the ground up) Nike shoes and fitness clothing into a billion-dollar industry. More than a story for running geeks, an amazing story about a singleminded individual with vision and passion.

My significant other and I are reading it to one another at bedtime.
BillW

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2020 05:51 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

“Shoe Dog” by Phil Knight, entrepreneur and charitable philanthropist evolving from 1962 to present day.

The story of the man who built (from the ground up) Nike shoes and fitness clothing into a billion-dollar industry. More than a story for running geeks, an amazing story about a singleminded individual with vision and passion.

My significant other and I are reading it to one another at bedtime.

I tried that once; trading out reading to one another in bed. Never could get much reading done - after a couple of paragraph we would just stop and; uuuuhhhhhh, stop reading. Never did get that book read!😖😜🙄
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2020 06:21 am
@BillW,
You dog, you!
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2020 07:36 am
Transit of Venus by Shirley Hazzard

Not my usual fare, I was intrigued by this review in the New Yorker. It's slow going but the occasionally unconventional use of language is both effective and surprising.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2020 08:42 am
The Woodcutter by Kate Danley

I have been going through my e-book collection and I apparently bought this in a spending spree.
It is about a guardian of an enchanted forest where other fairy tales intersect. Honestly, it is not very good. To me, it is a poorer version of The Witcher, which I did read earlier this year. It doesn't help that the lead character doesn't have much of a personality.

Another thing I don't like about the book is that there are far too many chapter breaks. Some of them are barely a page long. As a result, there are 79 chapters in a 337 page book.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2020 11:19 am
@Rebelofnj,
sounds like the author writes like Elmore Leonard did.
0 Replies

Nensysun

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2020 10:57 am
Reading "Smart Money Woman".
0 Replies

olive55

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2021 09:50 am
I’ve read a book called "Little Women" by Louise May Alcott. The novel is about four sisters, their life, friendship, growing up. In short, for me it’s a one-time book. Of course, today the book will seem very boring for modern young girls. There is not even a storyline here. Description of their boring measured life, their worries, children's desires. Although it would be useful for them to read, because children's selfishness is still relevant today. This book is also suitable for a more adult female audience, there is something to think about child-rearing. The story is not modern at all, and the book is not very exciting, but I do not regret having read it. A recommendation only for lovers of women's classics.
roger

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2021 10:16 am
@olive55,
I had to read that in high school. Same opinion, and like you, I do not regret it, either.

As a side note, when we think of civil war nursing, the name is always Clara Barton. Alcott was there, too, and that was back when nursing was considered a pretty low class field.
hightor

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2021 10:39 am
Phineas Finn by Anthony Trollope
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2021 09:58 pm
@roger,
How about Ernst Hemingway?
roger

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2021 10:55 pm
@BillW,
I only read one of his, involving the Spanish civil war, and that was long after high school. I didn't quite adapt to the dialog.
BillW

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2021 11:12 am
@roger,
I guess I should have been more explicit. Hemingway drove an ambulance as a.volunteer for the American Red Cross in Italy during WWI. It isn't exactly a nurse job, but close. He was also seriously injured selling cigarettes and candy to GIs in 1918 in Austria.

I must say I read most of his books and enjoyed his timing and phraseology.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 09:14 pm
@BillW,
I just reread The Old Man and the Sea - mainly because I wanted to reacquaint myself with his prose style, but also because I was much too young to appreciate it the first time. Turns out I had almost completely forgotten how it ends.
BillW

Reply Fri 14 May, 2021 06:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I always forget endings. It is a strange thing about me; but, I like it. The Old Man and the Sea, that really sounds like a good read for the 3rd or 4th time! But, maybe the movie, that was a good movie - Spencer Tracy if I remember correctly.

The book/movie gave me an idea for a book combined with Hemingway's Spanish Civil War days. A very skilled surgeon someway gets cased away alone at sea with a lot of medical equipment and supplies (he was on a mission or something, backup details can be added for filler). He ends up out there for days without food and is facing dying; so he starts eating himself. He is rescued a few weeks later, barely alive, with both legs and one arm missing.