What BOOK are you reading right now?

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 09:18 am
@izzythepush,
Well, they deserve a good smack for it.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 11:05 am
@dlowan,
That's not the only thing they deserve a smack for. There's a press standards inquiry going on at the moment prompted by the News of the World phone hacking scandal. This is just a tiny taste of the sort of things they've been doing.

Quote:
The mother of Madeleine McCann today said the press coverage of her daughter's disappearance was so negative that it damaged the search for the three-year-old.

Kate McCann told the Leveson inquiry into press standards: "When a story is so negative about her that is not helpful.

"These were desperate times. We needed all the help we could get. We desperately wanted to shout out, 'It's not true it's not true'. We were desperate.

"We were trying to find our daughter and you were stopping our chances of finding her."
Mrs McCann and her husband Gerry, both 43, recalled how they were subjected to what Mr McCann called an "incredible amount of speculation and misinformation that led to confusion" after Maddy disappeared in May 2007 during a family holiday in Portugal.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24013399-mccanns-press-harmed-our-search-for-madeleine.do
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 03:00 pm
@djjd62,
I'm reading King's latest, too! Not quite half-way through, but really loving it so far! Time-travel is the best!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 03:41 pm
@Irishk,
Suggest you try " Time and Again" by Jack Finney ( no relation) or "The Accidental Time Machine." by Joe Haldeman.
Irishk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thanks, Finn. I have another of Haldeman's on my to-be-read list, but I'll try to find the ones you mention. Always looking for a good read.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:16 pm
I read quite a romping sort of detective novel, Bad Dog, by Duncan White.
My first take was confusion, then I got over it after a few pages and followed the flow. Not for such as me to analyze - a mixed literary bag on purpose: I got bored by stuff over the top to me and then pulled back by sharp writing, some brilliant scenes. Writer to watch.

disclosure - I know the writer. That doesn't affect my potential for vitriol.
Nuts, I lost the last sentence or two. Back in a minute.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
As I was saying, this isn't Henning Mankel or Ian Rankin, present writers I like, and I put up with stuff in Bad Dog (from my view, though story related, I wobbled through) - neither of those guys has White's flare at his best.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 11:41 pm
Brainwave
by Poul Anderson.

I'm just liking having a library to visit
after living isolated for so long.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 11:54 pm
This is a very popular Swedish book, which has been translated into several languages. It is a hilerous combination of history and detective story.
I had so much fun reading it and so did everybody I have talked to.

Everything in capital letters is copied from google - just so you know before you start telling me I am yelling at you.

Jonas Jonasson
THE CENTENARIAN WHO CLIMBED OUT THE WINDOW AND DISAPPEARED
Follow Jonas Jonasson

AFTER A LONG AND EVENTFUL LIFE ALLAN ENDS UP IN A NURSING HOME BELIEVING IT TO BE THE LAST STOP. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT HIS HEALTH REFUSES TO LET HIM DOWN AND ONE DAY HE TURNS 100. EVERYBODY IS EXPECTING HIM AT THE BIG CELEBRATION: THE MAYOR, THE PRESS, AND THE ENTIRE STAFF. BUT ALLAN DOESN'T WANT TO BE A PART OF IT. AND HE DECIDES TO CLIMB OUT THE WINDOW...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 12:06 am
@saab,
Sounds good. Do you know if it's available in English translation?
saab

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 02:49 am
@Lustig Andrei,
It has been translated and the title is
THE CENTENARIAN WHO CLIMBED OUT THE WINDOW AND DISAPPEARED

I laughed out loud and so did my husband while reading it.
It is also based on historical facts from last century.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 05:33 pm
finished 11-22-63: A Novel and loved it, i quite like King, but often feel cheated by his longer tomes (seems to be a lot of build up and then a quick pay-off)

starting to listen to Out of OZ, still reading various sci-fi short story collections

going to go back to George R. R. Martin's third Fire & Ice novel as well as starting Jack Cloudie, the fifth in Stephen Hunt's series set in the Kingdom of Jackals
Irishk

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 05:38 pm
@djjd62,
This latest by King is shorter than The Stand, though, and I loved that book. Just recently reread it when I got it for my ereader. I know, I'm weird lol.
djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 05:47 pm
@Irishk,
i loved The Stand, i found the conclusion to some of the other long books a bit of a let down, It, The Tommyknockers, Needful Things and Under the Dome, although for the most part i enjoyed the story development, the man can certainly flesh out characters

looking forward to the next Dark Tower novel, The Wind Through the Keyhole, due in 2012, and Dr. Sleep, the sequel to The Shining
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 05:50 pm
I put away one of the favored books of all time, Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. I was 5/6ths to the end.
I will not dispute the book's importance.

Dropped it to reread a Laurie Colwin book, not my favorite of hers but the one left on my shelf.
Irishk

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 05:57 pm
@djjd62,
Let me know when you're ready for Martin's 4th & 5th books in his Fire & Ice series and I'll send you a link for an alternate way to read them. I've already read them separately, but plan to reread them with the other method. You'll see why when you start A Dance with Dragons.
djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
seeing Apocalypse Now before reading Heart of Darkness has always made it difficult for me to read the book, i did manage one reading eventually, as the story is integral to Timothy Findley's novel Headhunter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headhunter_(novel)
djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 06:02 pm
@Irishk,
i've got the first four in paperback and all five digital, i figure by the time i get the fourth read, the fifth will be out in paperback
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 06:18 pm
@djjd62,
I could have plowed to the end but simply didn't want to. Yes, I saw the movie, but I've also read a lot, and I do mean a lot.
This is my age or my experience of my present age re reading. I have no patience.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 09:09 pm
@djjd62,
Well, I seem to have lost the link lol, but someone on reddit figured out a way to combine books 4 and 5, since much of both books take place at the same time. Reading them separately is ok, and I did that, but when I got to the 5th book, I was like what??? You'll see, lol. I'm sure I'll run across the link at some point and I'll send it to you just in case you want to try it. It's easier to read it than to explain it lol.