What BOOK are you reading right now?

jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 08:54 am
@Irishk,
Thanks for the recommendation; I’ll be looking for that book as well
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 09:26 am
@jcboy,
Badjelly the Witch by Spike Milligan is very good, really surreal humour, the sort of thing kids love.
Quote:
"Keep your windows shut tonight ," said Binkle-bonk,"because there are some trouser-robbers in the woods, and they might rob Tim's trousers, and in the morning poor Tim would have to go out without his trousers and just his bare bottom, and if he wasn't careful, a chicken might peck it and make him jump up in the air!"

Dr. Seuss is brilliant as well, and my little boy loves all the Tintin and Asterix books.
jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 02:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks Izzy, I’ve made my list for Barnes and Noble, on my way there now.
MMarciano

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 03:03 pm
@jcboy,
Check out the Cook Book section while your there. Mr. Green I finally learned how to use the emoticons Drunk
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 03:42 pm
just finished listening to Lev Grosman's The Magician King, didn't quite like it as much as the first book, and it seems likely that the ending was a set up for a sequel (which i'll read no doubt)

almost done reading A Clash of Kings, as well as reading a Miss Read Omnibus Christmas at Fairacre

going to start listening to Forever, the last book in Maggie Stiefvater's trilogy The Wolves of Mercy Falls, and then onto the latest book in Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century books, Ganymede

also reading a few short stories from various publications along the way, and Sherwin Sleeves e-book The Rule Book & Calendar of Kittery Embers
Irishk

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 03:59 pm
@djjd62,
After reading his books, I started following Grossman's blog. He has a pretty funny entry on Fox picking up the TV rights to The Magicians...an hour long drama! Plus, the writers worked on the Sarah Connor Chronicles...until it got cancelled lol.

http://levgrossman.com/blog/
djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 04:14 pm
@Irishk,
i'll have to check that out

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 06:16 pm
@djjd62,
Are you a self-improver dj?
MMarciano

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 07:17 pm
@Setanta,
Morgan bought it and it was my turn to read tonight, wonderful book! Antonio loved it! Thank you.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:26 pm
http://covers.openlibrary.org/b/id/42531-L.jpg

is my current transit reading

diary/letter format

slow start, now I'm having trouble putting it down
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:26 pm
@MMarciano,
The Wind in the Willows? wonderful wonderful book
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 05:03 pm
I've just starting reading Michael Cunningham's most recent novel, Before Nightfall.
Still early days, but I'm sorry to say I'm finding it rather pretentious & laboured compared to his earlier novels (A Home At the End of the World, etc ..) which I really enjoyed.

Sibling rivalry/NYT book review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/books/review/Winterson-t.html

I'm hoping to become more involved in the plot as I read more.

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 05:48 pm
@msolga,
http://www.margaretvisser.com/imagesN/covers/much100.jpg

http://www.margaretvisser.com/writingN.htm

I'm loving this - as I was reading the chapter on corn, I kept thinking that I wished I could talk to ossoB about it RIGHT NOW !
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 07:56 pm
started listening to Stephen King's 11-22-63: A Novel, interesting so far, a time travel story, the protagonist is testing how he affects time, before attempting to prevent Kennedy's assassination, he's in Derry, Maine, 1958, just after the events portrayed in It, and has an interaction with two of the characters from that story

also reading some sci-fi short story collections
djjd62

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 07:56 pm
@spendius,
i'm more of a self defeater
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:50 am
Right now, I'm reading a collection of short stories by Jeffrey Archer. He's English and mostly does mysteries, but unlike most of the British writers of the genre, he know how to move the story along. This one is CAT O'NINE TALES, and as is usual, when an accomplished writer does short stories they are very well done. These seem to have the flavor of the best of the O. Henry stories, and the edition I have has the cutest illustrations you ever hope to see.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:59 am
@roger,
He's also a crook and a plagiarist.
dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 08:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Well, yes, but apart from stuff like that......

Actually, I have never read a word he wrote.
djjd62

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 08:52 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

Well, yes, but apart from stuff like that......

Actually, I have never read a word he wrote.

you never know, you might have
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 09:01 am
@dlowan,
This is a joke article from this month's Viz magazine. I've just included the headline and the bit attributed to Archer.

Quote:
What would the Celebrity Cuntbubbles do if they were....

BLUE FOR A DAY?

Imagine waking up in the morning and discovering you have of went blue in the night. We asked the celebrites what they would do if it was them who had went blue.

Jeffrey Archer, lying cuntbubble

"To a storyteller like me,the idea of waking up having changed colour is a fascinating one. I would immediately sit down and write a short story about suddenly becoming blue. That is, if I can find one that somebody else has written that I can copy out word for word, like the thieving, blue-faced, spotty-backed whore banging little **** that I am."

The terrible prose in the intropduction is deliberate, a parody of the awful tabloid newspapers that print such ridiculous stories.