What BOOK are you reading right now?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 02:40 am
@Irishk,
I'm just worried the bugger won't finish them and we'll have to make up our own endings.

I saw a brilliant one man show of Heart of Darkness in London in the early 80's. Can't remember who played Marlowe now.
Irishk

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 10:45 am
@izzythepush,
Shhh. Martin has been known to criticize his fans for daring to complain about his long waits between books. He calls them 'demanding' lol. In an interview, I think he said he's about 100 pages into The Winds of Winter, but has many distractions at the moment -- such as THIS one. Oh, and he's also reported to be working on a coffee table book and a Dunk & Egg novella. He says he'll get back to work on TWOW in January. Please. Just finish the series, George.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 10:49 am
@Irishk,
I've been watching the HBO series Carnivale. I've really got into it. I only recently found out that it was intended for 6 series, but they only did two. It's the last one tonight, I'm really worried that the main storyline won't be resolved. I have a similar worry about Fire and Ice.
Irishk

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 11:00 am
@izzythepush,
I think he'll finish, albeit on his own timetable. I just hope books 6 & 7 are better than #5.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 11:03 am
@Irishk,
I quite liked 5 although I did think it took a long time for anything to really start to happen.
Irishk

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 11:06 am
@izzythepush,
It's probably just me. I found the chapters on a certain silver-haired vixen tedious (to the point I actually wanted to skip them lol). I only recently finished it, though, so on reflection (and a reread which will surely happen while we wait and wait) those feelings may change.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 11:08 am
@Irishk,
I'm more interested in Jon Snow and his younger sister than any of the other characters.
Irishk

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 11:10 am
@izzythepush,
Yes!
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 11:11 am
@Irishk,
Have you read any of the Dunk and Egg books? I think Egg is the Maester from the wall.
Irishk

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 11:16 am
@izzythepush,
Yes...dj was kind enough to hook me up with those. Had no idea about his Wild Cards books, though. Might have to look for those as 'filler' while we're waiting lol.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 11:31 am
@Irishk,
I've got some 'serious' reading to do right now. I'm researching, and need to start writing again before I turn into J Goldman.
saab

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 12:21 pm
I am not doing any serious reading, but I am spellbound at the moment.
John Theorin is a very good Swedish author.
Johan Theorin is a journalist and author, born in 1963 in Gothenburg, Sweden. Throughout his life, Johan Theorin has been a regular visitor to the island of Öland in the Baltic sea. His mother’s family–sailors, fishermen and farmers–have lived there for centuries, nurturing the island’s legacy of strange tales and folklore.

Echoes from the Dead is Theorin’s first novel. In 2007 it was voted Best First Mystery Novel by the authors and critics of the Swedish Crime Writers' Academy, and it has been sold to twenty countries.
His second novel, The Darkest Room, (in Swedish Nattfåk) was voted the Best Swedish Crime Novel of 2008 and won the Glass Key award in 2009. The Darkest Room awarded the 2010 CWA International Dagger. "The Quarry", was published by Transworld Publishers in 2011. The books form three quarters of a loose quartet of novels set on the island of Öland

Here he is with another good author Tess Garritson
http://www.between-the-lines.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/johan-and-tess.JPG
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 01:53 pm
@saab,
Gerritsen..
I recognize her name as an author I looked up further; I liked one of her books. Well, put it this way, among well selling authors, there are some I'll reel away from as if stung, and I some I find interesting, and she's in that group.
saab

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 03:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Theorin can describe the feelings of a child as well as of an old person
He is much more than just a mystery writer. On the other side he also moves into the world of mysteries of fairies and other beings.
Tess Gerritson is thrilling but does not have the depth of Theorin.
annis

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 12:15 pm
Have just read The Harrowing. Bit of a horror, can see it in a movie! Not sure it has been made as one! 5 students doing the ouji board! Yeah you can guess the rest!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 06:10 pm
@saab,
I'm sorry, sort of, as I can understand writing books, but that I didn't just hate the Gerritson book is good, from my take.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 06:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Try imagining Julien Sorel leaning on the bar in Heaven reminiscing.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 06:23 pm
@spendius,
Edith Hamilton on Mythology.
This is taking me forever to get through.
dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 08:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Are you liking it, though?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 08:41 pm
@ossobuco,
It's not really the kind of book you read cover to cover. More for research and just browsing.
0 Replies