What BOOK are you reading right now?

jcboy

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 06:32 pm
@Ragman,
I bought a new book to read to Antonio. Didn’t get through many pages before he fall asleep but it’s called “Where the wild things are”. It’s an old story and very cute!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_the_Wild_Things_Are
msolga

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 06:45 pm
@jcboy,
Great choice, jcboy.

Quite a few "old people" enjoy it, too, you know. Smile
Rockhead

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 07:10 pm
@jcboy,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cOEFnppm_A
jcboy

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 07:11 pm
@msolga,
Hehehe, I sure was enjoying it. His daddy and I take turns reading to him every night. When I’m done with this one I’ll be looking for something new to read him. His book collection is growing rather quickly.
jcboy

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 07:12 pm
@Rockhead,
That's cute, I'll be showing him that video tomorrow he will love it! Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 07:13 pm
@jcboy,
Get a copy of The Wind in the Willows. It's the first book i ever read, and it's a wonderful book. Children always love it. I read it to my younger cousins when i was "too big" to just read if for myself, so i got a wonderful excuse to read it again.
hingehead

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 07:15 pm
Just picked up a copy of James Gleick's 'The Information' - I love it when even the prologue grabs you....
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 07:15 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks for the tip. I’ll be looking for it this week! I’m out of new books to read to him Smile
chai2

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 08:10 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I’ll be looking for it this week! I’m out of new books to read to him Smile

Just to jump in, another favorite of mine was Thumbelina.

http://www.kearley.co.uk/images/uploads/TP04-gif.gif
chai2

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 08:15 pm
Oh! In case you don't know the story morgan, poor thumbelina gets kidnapped, almost has to marry a toad, escapes, is almost convinced to marry a mole, but ends up getting rescued by the prince of the fairies!

Just like real life! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 08:20 pm
@jcboy,
Do you take Antonio to the library?
Irishk

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 08:30 pm
@jcboy,
Get Antonio a Kindle! You can download library books from home and there are tons of cute children's books (some interactive) available online, too! I'll bet he'd love that!
Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 05:09 am
@Irishk,
So if he was reading it outside, would that make it a kindle garden?
dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 05:45 am
@Setanta,
Ouch!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 05:58 am
Thank you . . . thank you . . . i'll be here all week . . .
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 06:05 am
@ehBeth,
Lol Morgan is afraid of the library, he says the homeless hang out there Smile
Izzie

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 08:25 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I often don't like pushed books..

heh heh, 'pushing' a book, so to speak Wink

Bad Dog

So’s to play it straight and, having checked with the hamsters that it was OK for me to review this here, I’ll say the author is an A2Ker.

http://www.waterstones.com/wat/images/nbd/m/978184/897/9781848971721.jpg

It’s about a Private Detective who’s a partner in an agency called Solent Investigation. He becomes involved in a gangland killing which, far from a normal day at the office, you’re immediately drawn into imagining the character as the plot rapidly cascades into an extreme, bizzare and chaotic world of demons and vampires.

‘A darkly comic hallucinogenic descent into madness' (blurb words). Very funny – you’re lured into the depravity of the characters with dark humour, satire and, if I’m being honest, a very British sense of humour – it storms along at a fast pace, graphic and colourful writing which does pack a punch. The tie-ins are exceptionally clever combining a kinda musical interlude with an historical journey and, very surprisingly, it made me laugh out loud too many times to count when I was least expecting it!

I read this in one sitting Shocked and I don’t normally read books, leave alone black comedies or anything with vampires – but ‘eh, couldn’t put it down until I’d finished it in the early hours of a morning a while back.

The bit about an A2Ker being the author maybe presents me with a slight bias; his writing is animated and wholly recognisable – humour being the name of the game as you follow along into the character’s surreal world of mayhem and the extraordinary. I know fer sure of a few A2Kers here who would get such a kick out of reading it.

The author doesn’t know what I’m writing here nor’s he asked me to… so, if humorous black comedy fiction is up your street – it’s an great read and well deserves a shameless plug Razz

Being published on 28th October 2011 by Olympia Publishers.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 08:35 am
@chai2,
I may look for that one too. I’ve been buying kids books from Barnes & Noble’s, there is a book program at Antonio’s school where we can donate books and they go to needy children in Pinellas County. I could get them from the Library but there is quite a few strange people hanging around whenever we go.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 08:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
So if he was reading it outside, would that make it a kindle garden?
LOLLL! That's cute!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 08:49 am
@MMarciano,
Hopefully Morgan will learn to overcome his fears. It's good for kids to learn how to use libraries.
0 Replies