What BOOK are you reading right now?

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 04:07 pm
@plainoldme,
It's such a lovely book - I loved "Water for Elephants" and can't wait for the
movie to come out and see what they've done with it.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 04:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm getting into Atonement. So far.
spendius

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 04:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Fancy reading a book with a title like that. Even the word sounds laden with woe and doom. A deep funereal bell tone.

What Katie Did Next is a better title although I haven't read it. But I knew somebody who had.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 04:53 pm
@spendius,
Bought my first book based on seeing the author on the Daily Show. The Most Hunan Human, an audiobook from Audible read by the author himself (figures it's on my Touch and I can't remember his name now).

It's about the academic contest (a double blind study?) where a computer programmer must develop a program that can dupe the judges into thinking it's really a human. The author is one of the confederates or part of the control group (all humans) Whomever the group of judges deems from the control group to be the likeliest human gets the title the most Human human.

The program that cons the highest votes from the judges as possibly a human is the most humancomputer.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 05:08 pm
@spendius,
I have missed all talk of this as a book (even a booker) and a movie. Well, I saw all that, but didn't read about it. I got the book, after all, at the Good Will, for 99 cents one sunny day.

I'll report back, as I do about books that annoy me, or even better, annoy and engage.

Atonement - you, Spendi, would comprehend that this is part of the culture that I walked away from?

I'm not against being sorry (all complicated) but I'm against it being somehow crystallized.

So... I don't have any idea yet if I will think this book is good, past the clear abilities of the author.
littlek

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:00 pm
Fallen Angel by Niven, Pournelle and Flynn. How many scifi authors does it take....?
spendius

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I didn't say anything about the book being good or not osso. All I said was that the title puts me off it. We did 3 Our Fathers and 3 Hail Marys, as fast as that, and it seemed a pretty good deal to me. It never entered our heads that a reasonably honest social survey was being conducted.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:11 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

What Katie Did Next is a better title although I haven't read it. But I knew somebody who had.

I did. Read the whole series when I was 8 or 9.

Just finishing off Marley and Me. I'm a sucker for books about dogs.
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm getting into Atonement. So far.

Let us know how you find it when you've read more, osso.
I haven't read any of Ian McEwan's other novels & started reading Atonement a while ago, but gave up. (I wasn't in much of a "reading" frame of mind at the time, I think.)
Anyway I'll be interested to hear what you have to say. Perhaps I'll give it another go.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:18 pm
@msolga,
Well, osso, I'm reading "Under The Tuscan Sun" about this lady who lives in San Francisco, and buys this old property in Italy. You probably read it already. I'm only about 20% through with the book, and try to read at least ten pages every night before I hit the zzz's.
spendius

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:19 pm
@ehBeth,
But I daresay your books are about dogs to pat and stroke and look fawning and not about dogs that race or course or fetch shot pheasants out of the woods or guard premises or sniff out drugs or explosives.

Did you read about the dog handler in Afghanistan who got killed and his dog died a few hours later of a broken heart. Both bodies were flown back to England on the same plane. The dog was called Theo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:21 pm
@spendius,
Ok, there's something we can agree on.

Mark this day..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:28 pm
@msolga,
Well, first of all, the print is smallish for me. Got to keep the light right, etc. Very too much precious, so far.

What engages me somewhat, is the whole panoply of points of view, a useful thing in books some years ago that I still sometimes like.

I'm patient as a reader if something keeps me going, but a tosser when not. Not sure on this one.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I hate that book...

hate being too strong. But not a fan. I've read almost every possible book about people landing in italy and making new lives, for the last bunch of many years.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Very too much precious, so far.

Yes, that was pretty much my response at the time I attempted to read it, osso.
But I'll still be interested in your response if you do finish it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:20 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Just finishing off Marley and Me. I'm a sucker for books about dogs.

Then you'd love "The Art of Racing in the Rain" - a great book about Enzo, a loving dog. You get teary eyed at times, nonetheless this book is a joy for every dog lover...
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
some good recipes in there

we did the Mayles books in the book club one summer - they were great, as everyone could find something to like about them - always a problem in the book club

we based the food for our get-togethers on the books. I was glad to have the Mayles books when it was my turn. Made for a great bbq evening for the club and associated friends/family. Hard to go wrong with olives, wine and bbq.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:28 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thanks CJ - will watch for it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 09:33 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm enjoying it enormously. I had no idea a movie was in the works. DO you know who will be in it?
plainoldme

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 09:37 pm
Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiNVZLwHbLc
0 Replies