What BOOK are you reading right now?

Sturgis

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:02 am
Currently reading The Shack by William P. Young, I may have read it before, I can't seem to tell.

I picked ths thing up a while back and had it setted neatly under clothing and other thngs including half a 2003 calendar (the mystery was solved when I saw several Phonecians listed on it).

A semi-religious tone it follows a man getting his life back through a series of odd talks with people that are essentially human forms of God.

Still reading , maybe I'll finish it (never did read the last 10 pages of Call It Sleep, by Henry Roth...it's an annoying habit I have, never readng the last few pages). A nice book, easy read, I like it.
EveA

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 09:54 am
@littlek,
I've just finished Time craft by Mark A. Ely and Relativity 1 by Aaron Aaikin ... both are scifi.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 01:12 pm
@Sturgis,
I was getting downright angry at the end of "The Shack"....I couldn't believe
that I fell for such a religious crap.
mags314772

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 03:07 pm
@CalamityJane,
I can't believe I bought it in the bookstore and didn't realize it was religious crap until I got home and settled in to read it. I threw it on the floor. Now THAT'S stupid.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 03:30 pm
Friend and I went to Goodwill to see if there was anything interesting in the book section and I walked away with -

Michael Connelly's Lincoln Lawyer (set in LA, so I'm good - a good read, nothin' I'll remember past next week.)
Richard Russo's Bridge of Sighs (worth it but a bit of a plod in the beginning or even the first third; I might remember this one, strongly etched characters)
Michael McGarrity's Everyone Dies (set in Santa Fe; I'm just starting it)
Ian McEwan's Atonement
Honore de Balzac - Old Goriot
Katzuo Ishiguro's An Artist of the Floating World (I look forward to this one)
John Le Carre's Single & Single.

Grand total for all was $7.00.
Pemerson

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 10:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Haven't been on A2K for awhile but I've been reading! Found the neatest used bookstore, such inexpensive books they have.

The Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates. God, what a great book. A young family, once very sophisticated knowledgable Jewish family came to the U.S. during WWII. Horrible experiences living in a graveyard. Poor English and harrasment by the locals was the main cause of their misery. But, the end is perfect. In her sad books, Oates does give the reader that.

American Adulterer by Jed Mercurio. about John F. Kennedy. Best book I've ever read, the author is very fair in his description of this man and his many illnesses, the drugs he is addicted to, and obscession and addiction to sex. Well, the author is a M.D. It's quite unbelievable. There's humor, though, and empathy. As one critic said, the book reads like prose.

Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio. Picture 1950's Kentucky, an orphaned girl living with grandparents. Tough enough, but Icy has Tourette Syndrom that isn't diagnosed until she's an adult. You know, violent ticks and uncontrollable cursing. Of course it's sad, yet funny, and it's an Oprah Book.

Now, I'm reading a newly published book, A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. I have to keep staring at the author's photo, a professor of history at the University of Southern CA. She has received Fulbright, Guggenheim, and Nat'l Humaniies Center fellowships, and also writes an award-winning wine blog. Don't worry, the vampires, witches and daemons don't involve themselves in the lives of humans. Interesting the way she ties these creatures into ancient history. Not a scary book, just strange and intriguing.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 10:53 am
@mags314772,
Hehe, mags, I even finished it!
I read yesterday (in one sitting) "The art of racing in the rain" - a cute book
told from the view of a dog. Every dog lover will get a kick out of this one....

Now I am starting "Confessions of an economic hit man"....sounds promising.
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 11:11 am
am three-quarters ofthe way through an historical fiction called New York, by Rutherford. Details the historyof New Yor City from the time of th earliest Dutch traders. The author defly mixes real people with fictional families in different social strata. A ripping good read
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:13 pm
@Pemerson,
Just turned on the author interview of Deborah Harkness on last Friday's On Point with Tom Ashbrook.
http://onpoint.wbur.org/2011/03/04/deborah-harkness
margo

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:24 pm
Dirt Music - by Tim Winton.

Booker Prize finalist, and Miles Franklin Award winner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirt_Music

Less than a quarter through - but keen to get back. Very vivid descriptions of places in the Werstern Australian coast, Tim Wionton's country. I'm enjoying it more than his more recent novel, Breath.
hingehead

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:53 pm
@margo,
I've never read a Tim Winton - should I?
littlek

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 09:34 pm
@hingehead,
Even I have heard of Tim Winton!
hingehead

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 10:37 pm
@littlek,
You misinterpret me K, I've heard of Tim Winton, heard him speak, even know a little bit about Cloud Street, but I've never actually read any. What would I get out of it? What's the best? It does sound like he's a bit hooked on small town WA and surfing.
msolga

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:01 am
@hingehead,
Hinge, I'm not k, but I think at least one Winton is worth a read, to see what you think.
Me, I love him! Though there are some of his novels I value over the others (The Riders, Dirt Music & a few more.)
I always get caught up with his plots, his characters .. It is how he writes. Just beautifully.

Yes, you'll find some plots that do mention surfing Wink , but those references tie in with his thoughts about adolescence, the experience of growing up in WA, often related to what became of those early friendships, the loyalties & connections, the early dreams ... what became of them in adulthood.

But I know of few contemporary Australia writers whose evocations of a time, a place in Oz, ring so true. The sea, the desert, the people ...

I was absolutely knocked out by The Turning, a collection of interrelated short stories. Once I'd finished I couldn't help myself. I had to go back to the beginning & read again, to connect all the dots which had presented themselves over the course of the book.

http://www.theblurb.com.au/Issue61/Turning.htm
hingehead

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:16 am
@msolga,
Thank you Olgs, your thumbs up means Tim goes on the 'to do' list! Appreciate the time that went into your response.
msolga

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:22 am
@hingehead,
My pleasure, hinge.

But, as you know, reading tastes can be quite a subjective thing.
You might not love what I love. Smile

But I definitely think one TW is definitely worth a go, to see what you make of it yourself.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 07:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Just turned on the author interview of Deborah Harkness on last Friday's On Point with Tom Ashbrook.

I'm not quite half through this book's 579 pages and the lady witch, Diana Bishop has had a 'date' with Matthew the vampire, they've had each other over for dinner and attended a Yoga class together. He's warned her not to come too close, or he loses control...He becomes her 'protector.' Very sweet....ha ha.

Best description: Equal parts history and magic, romance and suspense, this is a novel of epic scope, traveling from the cobbled streets of Oxford to the chateaus and mountains of the Auvergne to a small town in upstate N.Y. It also takes us into a rich fifteen-hundred year history that spans Clovis and the Crusades, the Knights Templar, and the American Revlution. As Matthew and Diana's alliance deepens into intimacy, Diana must come to terms with age-old taboos and her own family's conflicted history--and she must learn where the modern woman she is meets the source of ancient power that is her legacy. With a scholar's depth and the touch of a great storyteller, Deborah Harkness has woven a tale of passion and obsession; the collision of magic, alchemy, and science; and the closely guarded secrets of an enchanted world.

TSAR: Did you ever finish The Sparrow? I've often wondered how others who've read it imaagine, as they read, a description in their mind's eye of those beings they find on the planet visited (forgot the name of it).

I imagined the main variety of beings as looking much like my cat, up there. Like a puss'n boots sort of creature. They did have fur but also wore some sort of clothing. Absolutely fascinating tale. Couldn't get over their description of humans, saying they (the lady) has long hair like a mane, and they sorta pull back their lips and make loud noises (laughing). Really, could give us a complex on Earth. I don't think it occurs to us humans that we may not be so admired by beings on other planets.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 07:32 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

I've never read a Tim Winton - should I?

I'm not too knowledgable about him - didn't particularly enjoy Breath, but Dirt Music doesn't seem bad.

Probably worth at least a look, as one of the prize-winning Australian authors. Take Olga's advice - she'much gooder a reeder then me is! (I'm just a poor librarian - yes - over there under W, dear!) <mind you, I haven't worked in a library for 20 years - but that's what it says on my passport!>
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 01:50 pm
I am currently reading a historical novel on Patrick Henry by Noel B. Gerson, who has been quite prolific on the historical genre. It seems to be a bit simplistic, but I'll continue on anyway. I welcome comments on his other novels. I like fictional biographies because they are easier to relate to than dry non-fiction. I would appreciate recommendations on any historical fiction especially about artists and the American Colonial period. Bear in mind that I've read Irving Stone's 3 novels on artists as well as the Schmidt novel of Rembrandt, all fine works.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:40 am
I've been ignoring this thread because I have no time to read. Between spending six days a week at two jobs and preparing to teach, my reading is limited to the material the students have to read. Their reading consists of generally short (1 - 10 pages with 3 or 4 being the norm) essays. I usually give them 48 hours to finish the readings.

Two weeks ago, they had seven pages to read. Four students out of a class of 20 read the material. I was furious because I had read the essays then re-read them twice.

I looked in on this thread and became hungry to read. My daughter had given me Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I drew a bath then got into the tub --one of my fav places to read -- with the book. I ploughed through 100 pages and felt cold but much better.