What BOOK are you reading right now?

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 09:39 pm
@plainoldme,
Yes plainoldme! Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz are the main characters. The movie will be released on April 22.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1067583/
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 02:19 pm
@littlek,
More about Fallen Angels: I keep being amused by the parallels this book has to my life past and present.

It was published in 1991 - just after I graduated from college. The Iron Curtain had just been dismantled. And Russia was still the second super-power. The chatter about global warming was just gaining in public dialogue.

The book is set in 2008 after we are descended into an ice age. We're in an ice age because the greens stopped technology from continuing to pollute the air and cause the greenhouse effect (the GHE had been preventing the ice age from coming on). Scientists are all bad and can be hung for simply writing about or doing science. The characters drive through the frozen wastelands of the northern US states, they head through santa fe and Albaturkey. There are underground fantasy/scifi conventions and one is called Bubonicon (the bubonic plague still exists in NM and I used to go to "black death parties" in santa fe in the early 1990s with my fantasy/sci fi friends). Before things in the book got too bad, a number of world scientists headed up to an orbital habitat and have been living there, isolated for decades. They are predominantly american and russian. They drop russian words into their dialog (I work with a kid from russia at school). The church of scientology reverts back to being about sci-fi.

Near future sci fi is confuddling my brain a little.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 02:31 pm
I'm in my reading the New Yorker between books phase.

A couple of articles that fascinated me -
in the most recent issue I got (March 21), an article about traumatic childhood and its effects on long term health both mental and physical: Paul Tough, The Poverty Clinic

(March 7 issue) - by Ken Auletta, The Dictator Index, Mo Ibrahim's plan for Africa
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 02:48 pm
@littlek,
I've had One Second After (also an apocalyptic thriller, but about an EMP attack) on hold at my library for months. Each time they notify me it's available, I pass it up because it sounds so scary.

Anyone here read it and recommend/not recommend?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:42 pm
I finished "Confessions of an economic hit man".
wow, is all I can say!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:03 am
I'm reading Myth and Reverie by Charles De Lint but I am not enamored with it. The sensibility is too contemporary.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 02:39 pm
The Emily Dickinson Handbook
[eds. Grabher, Hagenbuckle and Miller]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 06:53 pm
Finished The Swan Thieves. Liked it as a whole, was my irritable self with several passages about the art, which is odd as I'm a painter. But this is similar re some other books that I have liked once I got past the text, in that I can be grumpy in the process and be glad for the elaborate descriptives some time later.

I'm in the middle of Franzen's Freedom. Was exhilarated for most of the first half, once I got into it, and a tad bogged down now, a bit later.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 07:00 pm
Back to Stiff which I put down a few months ago.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:11 pm
I just finished SUDDEN DEATH from David Rosenfelt. Just one of those thrillers with a couple of dogs, but what a great opening two paragraphs. I'll try to transcribe.

Quote:
I step off the plane, and for the first time in my life, I'm in Los Angeles. I'm not sure why I've never been here before. I certainly haven't had any preconceived notions about the place, other than the fact that the people here are insincere, draft-dodging, drug-taking, money grubbing, breast-implanting, out-of-touch, pate-eating, pompous, Lakers-loving, let's-do-lunching, elitist scumbags.

But here I am, open-minded as always.

For openings, I'd like to see Dickens do any better.

Oh, hi there, osso.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:43 pm
@roger,
Oh, hi, pate diver, your new nickname.

You and Dys need to get a room. And neither of you have spent a lot of time in the area.

The hostility is breathtaking and has been blasting to me. You both think you are so funny, while you post with your fears.

The one person I'll listen to is Soz, but she didn't experience the whole place, and who could?

Meantime, we have a wannabe writer of a book.. I suppose it its tongue in cheek. Sloppy writing.

At the least, the post is self denying.
roger

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 12:11 am
@ossobuco,
I guess I should have known better.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:08 am
Just finished "Alex & Me," it was light and airy but fun to read. (About Alex the African Grey parrot.)

I started to explain my favorite part, re: the word "banerry," then thought it's probably online somewhere, sure enough:

Quote:
"Alex had acquired [the spoken words] 'grape,' 'banana,' and 'cherry' on his own, because we named everything we fed him. 'Apple' was therefore going to be his fourth fruit label. Or so we thought. Alex apparently had other ideas.

By the end of the season for fresh apples, Alex had learned to produce a puny little 'puh' sound, a pathetic fragment of apple. We decided to try again the next spring, when fresh apples would arrive from the Southern Hemisphere. Months later Alex did condescend unenthusiastically to eat some apple when offered, but still only produced 'puh.'

Then suddenly, in the second week of training in Mid-March 1985, he looked at the apple quite intently, looked at me, and said 'Banerry . . . I want Banerry.' He snatched a bite of the apple and ate it happily. He looked as if he suddenly achieved something he had been searching for.

I had no idea what he was talking about. So I said, 'No, Alex, apple.'
'Banerry,' Alex replied, quickly but quite patiently.
'Apple,' I said again.
'Banerry,' Alex said again.

OK buddy, I thought. I'll make it a bit easier for you. 'Ap-ple.' I said, emphasizing the second syllable. Alex paused a second or two, looked at me more intently, and said 'Ban-erry,' exactly mimicking my cadence. We went through this double act several times: 'Ap-ple.' 'Ban-erry.' 'Ap-ple.' 'Ban-erry.' I was a little ticked off. I thought Alex was being deliberately obtuse. In retrospect, it was quite hysterical. When I told one of my students, Jennifer Newton, about it later, she literally fell off her chair laughing. But Alex hadn't quite finished with me just yet. At the end of the session he said, very slowly and deliberately, 'Ban-err-eee,' just as I might do with him when I was teaching him a new label. Maybe he was thinking, Listen carefully, lady. I'm trying to make this easy for you. I wrote in my journal that Alex seemed 'almost angry with us.'

I still had no idea what Alex was talking about, even though he obviously thought he did. Try as we might, he wouldn't budge from 'banerry.' No matter how hard we worked to get him to say 'apple,' he stuck with his label. As far as Alex was concerned, 'banerry' it was and 'banerry' it was going to stay.

A few days later I was talking to a linguist friend about all this. He said, 'It sounds like lexical elision.' It's a fancy term for putting parts of two different words together to form a new word. Alex might have thought the apple tasted a bit like a banana. Certainly it looked like a very large cherry (it was a red apple). 'Banana' + 'cherry' = 'Banerry.'

http://www.parrotforums.com/off-topic/6784-alex-me-dr-irene-pepperberg.html
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:21 am
took a break from Cryptonomicon, reading an interesting little end of the world book called Directive 51

Directive 51 is the title of a science fiction novel by John Barnes. It is the first of three books comprising the Daybreak series.

The title is a reference to Directive 51, the Presidential Directive which claims power to execute procedures for continuity of the federal government in the event of a "catastrophic emergency".

In the near future, a variety of groups with diverse aims, but an overlapping desire to end modern technological society (the "Big System") create a nanotech plague ("Daybreak") which both destroys rubber and plastics and eats away any metal conductors carrying electricity. An open question in the book is whether these groups, and their shared motivate, are coordinated by some conscious actor, or whether they are an emergent property / meme that attained a critical mass.

The Daybreak plague strikes, and world governments are helpless to deal with it.

Industrial civilization rapidly breaks down, and tens of millions die in the US alone (the global death toll measures in the billions).

There is a presidential succession crisis.

Just as society in the US seems to start stabilizing, preemplaced pure fusion weapons detonate, destroying Washington DC and Chicago.

This is followed by additional pure fusion weapon strikes, which are determined to be weapons that are being created on the moon by nanotech replicators.

A shadowy neofeudalist group (the "Castle movement") led by a reactionary billionaire may be inadvertent saviors of society ... or may have some deeper involvement in things.

it would make probably make a pretty decent tv mini series, certainly better than The Event
roger

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 02:21 pm
@djjd62,
If I run across it, I'll read it. John Barnes can be very good.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 03:37 pm
I recently finished Tana French's In The Woods. For me, reading this book was an intense experience. Has anyone else read it?

http://www.tanafrench.com/images/coverbig.jpg
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 03:53 pm
@wandeljw,
Nope but it looks creepy....was it is good?
djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 04:11 pm
@roger,
the second book is out now in hardcover, but i'll wait for the paperback
roger

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 04:29 pm
@djjd62,
I'll wait for it to hit the library shelves.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 08:52 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Nope but it looks creepy....was it is good?

In The Woods was very good, Linkat, on several levels: as a mystery, as a character study, as a procedural about modern criminology, and for its realistic portrayal of psychological trauma.