What BOOK are you reading right now?

Irishk

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 09:50 pm
@littlek,
It's a shame, really. I checked out 5 from the library Sunday night and was so excited. We need to find out the secret!!
msolga

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 10:42 pm
I have just finished reading Dead Europe, written by Christos Tsiolkas.
Phew.
Have you ever read a book which you know it's very important for you to read, but has caused you considerable anxiety, to lose some sleep, anyway?
This was it for me. (Recent reading, anyway.)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Reviews/Dead-Europe/2005/05/26/1116950809861.htmlI have just finished
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:43 am
@Irishk,
can't tell you what the secret is, but it does take some getting used to
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:50 am
@djjd62,
Full Dark, No STars a collection of 4 new novellas by Stephen King. Creepy, nice twists in the tales , just enough space devoted to each. Its like SK is paying for his pevious sins of wordiness.
djjd62

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:57 am
@farmerman,
listened to the audio, not as good as Different Seasons (a lot of the blurbs kept comparing them), but quite enjoyed it, really liked his last collection of short stories Just After Sunset, especially the 9/11 story The Things They Left Behind

Almost a year after 9/11, strange things start happening to narrator Scott Staley, who—at the time of the attacks—is employed at 'Light and Bell Insurance' on the 110th floor of the World Trade Center. Not only is Scott unable to get rid of his survivor's guilt (on 9/11 he followed an inner voice that told him to take a day off to enjoy the sun), but things belonging to his late colleagues start to appear in his apartment. A pair of sunglasses, a baseball bat, a farting cushion – Scott can easily identify them all. After convincing himself that they are no delusion and that others can see them, he tries throwing them away, yet they reappear after his return home.

He confides in Paula, a neighbor, who offers to stow away one of the things. It triggers the most horrible nightmare of Paula's life, recreating in her mind the last minutes of its proprietor. Paula immediately returns the object, but makes Scott understand his mission: he must give the things to the victims' immediate family – and on seeing the joy on their faces, he feels his guilt slowly fade away.
Irishk

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:03 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
can't tell you what the secret is, but it does take some getting used to

I'll keep trying then, thanks. They'll be great for road trips, although that's also my favorite time for listening to music. Really loud. Which sometimes annoys Mr.Irish lol.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:25 pm
@djjd62,
I've reserved a copy of Full Dark, No Stars and Just After Sunset audiobooks from the NYPL. Hope they're considerbly better then Under the Dome.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:53 pm
@Irishk,
Yup, that's what I do on long road trips or flying; I listen to my mp3 with over 500 music on it. Love it.
djjd62

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
yes they are, i liked UTD, not great but okay

i preferred JAS to FDNS, but as i said i was expecting something more like Different Seasons from the hype, and it's not that book (let's face it, 3 of the 4 stories in DS were made into pretty good movies Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption and AptPupil,so it's a pretty tough act to follow)
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Under the Dome was SK's last attempt at his old "wordy" style of writing. He copuld really have punched that one dopwn by several hundred pages and taken out some of the tangents.Especially tangents that ultimaltely didnt go anywhere or got resolved in really stupid manners.

I also like Leiseys Tale . He did do one epic book that was a masterpiece, THE GREEN MILE. He must have gotten some advice from ELmore Leonard on that one.

You will like "Dark". The novellas are rather crisp. IMHO. In some cases SK audio books suffer from the readers interpretation. I listened to "Atlantis" and found it schizo especially because it was read by 4 different people who shouldnt have broken it up by voices at key points. (Just my take).

Its one of my only passions cause the other stuff Im reading makes me feel more and more isolated in my work.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You can get a "NOOK" which is a big reader that also handles Mp3 books. plug it into your car and your library has all the nook books and the mp3's Its waay better than Kindle , Its a book, its a tape, its a mp3, its a breath mint.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:53 pm
@djjd62,
was Apt pupil made into a movie?? WAHH I missed the memo!! Loved that story. good for kids reading by he fireplace at night
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 09:31 pm
Does the name Myron Bolitar ring a bell with any of you?
Or am I getting too low brow here?

Anyway, I'm about to embark on my next Harlan Coben audio book (Long Lost).
Thoroughly enjoyed listening to the previous one.
Just the thing for last-thing-in-the-day, just before dozing off to sleep listening.
Very entertaining & it doesn't cause one to have nightmares, which is a real bonus!

I just discovered that there's a Myron Bolitar fan club! Smile

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 04:29 pm
I just finished Richard Russo's The Bridge of Sighs.
This wasn't easy. I got very aggravated with at least two of the key characters.
For many pages at a time, many many as a friend used to say, I had to plough through revelations of apparent trivia in descriptive detail, usually about repetitive behavior. Annoying, I tell you.
Still, I kept going, and was glad enough that I did. A lot of the book rang true about daily life, what I take is called the quotidian, where all things happen, not that Russo used that word.

I balked at the ending, but never mind.
I recommend this, but only for the very patient.

(Not back to Artemio Cruz yet, but will get there.)
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 04:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Stephen King will be putting out another magnum opus this fall with a book that is titled 11/23/63. Its a story of a guy who sees the future the day after Kennedy is assasinated and that future is rather dsytopic. So, somehow he goes back in time to keep Kennedy fdrom being assasinated and thus change the future. (Course, if it were me, Id see that Kennedy would be saved and the book would end with it REALLY being a dystopia because the guys dream didnt have Kennedy being assasinated at all)

Just a guess, but the book is supposed to be over 1000 pages. I Hope its not another lame one like "Under the Dome" or "It" or Tommynockers" .

Please Stephen stick with the later genre of novellas and shoirt stories.
djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
didn't he sort of cover that type of material in The Dead Zone?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 07:23 pm
@farmerman,
I'll heed your wise advice Farmerman. Until I get the books from the library, I'm on a two book pronged attack. AT work, I'm listening to The Great Gatsby. I'm kind of glad I didn't read it when it was assigned in high school. I kind of bullshited my high school English book report.

Half way through and (sheepishly admitting) I'm amazed by how great the writing is. I guarantee that I wouldn't have appreciated the writing, the humor, or the characters way back when. I often wonder why did the teachers and school system try so hard to assign books to their teenage students who would openly scoff at such classics and alleged classics when for the most part, the students typically can't stand reading the stuff. I couldn't stand the types of books we were forced to read for high school English.

If it wasn't for my father harping on me to read and read and read when I was growing up, and I did read a lot of the genres I choose to read. Mainly fluff sci-fi and thrillers, I bet I wouldn't have been such the reader I am today if high school was the only source trying to get me to read.

The other book I am listening to: at the gym and while walking about town is Hyperion by Dan Simmons.
djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 07:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
how's Hyperion, i keep thinking about getting them (the 4 books in the series) from audible for awhile now, i managed to find the set as epubs, you know just kind of hanging around the internets, and have them on my ipod, but it'll be a while before i get around to reading them
littlek

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 08:21 pm
@djjd62,
I read it ages ago. Liked it, but didn't love it. Can't remember why, though.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 09:17 pm
@djjd62,
I really like it so far. I'm about a 1/4 the way through the first audiobook.
0 Replies