What BOOK are you reading right now?

plainoldme

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:34 am
@hingehead,
I had trouble with Collapse as well. My daughter brought home Guns etc from a summer internship in the Dominican Republic. Both were life changing experiences for her.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:33 am
@hingehead,
Factual errors in fiction books aren't important. If they were, Dan Brown wouldn't have a career.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 11:19 pm
@joefromchicago,
I read the first two and the last two pages of Brown's book about looking for the Madeleine in southern France and the Louvre. Apparently, his lack of literary style hasn't hurt his career.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 03:51 pm
At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream which is not as good as I'd hope.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:41 pm
I'm starting Michael Grant's History of Rome, which I'd happily bought at the goodwill shop. Ugh, I should have opened it; the last reader underlined with bright pink marker. I probably can't deal with it.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:20 pm
@ossobuco,
The perils of buying used books.
Confused
spendius

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have some books with pompous notes on the margins as well as underlinings. It's a pity they don't sign them and provide an address.

I've been sorting my books of the Classical Age out all day. Apart from being on here I mean. And a few other things. They would be ideal for somebody who wants to do a PhD thesis the easy way. With that lot you could stun the tutors.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
i was in a Goodwill the other day looking at books, i considered replacing a copy of R is For Rocket by Ray Bradbury, as the copy there was in better shape than my poor old paperback, i checked out it's condition and found an inscription in the front to a guy from a girl, professing love forever, the book had been a christmas present in 1993, obviously love forever was about 17 years
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:45 pm
@djjd62,
Now there's a story....

As some know, I read the Soho Crime books, and I'd be in even more of a poor house if I actually bought them new. I save them with the idea that I may sell 40 of them at once via ebay or some such. Anyway, one of all those books had some wispy but elegant writing in it, and, for a change, I didn't find it annoying. It was spare, many pages between the v. small notes; I tended to get the writer's point to him or herself.
Sometimes I find the odd bookmark..

Luckily, so far, I haven't found bedbugs. (Cripes, didya read the NYTimes article on them this weekend?)

This present book on the history of Rome is just one more for me on that subject, where I think the pink marker person had it as a textbook. Or maybe not. I've never been a book underliner - back in school I took notes, scritch scratch, and leave them in the back of the book or in a class binder pocket. But maybe some folks underline all their books?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:45 pm
@littlek,
Good title though..
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Or, of not examining carefully before buying.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:14 pm
I have made a conscious effort during the past four or five years to underline less. Those little paper flags that are gummed on one end help. Paperclips also make good temporary markers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:31 pm
@plainoldme,
Perhaps - re checking out a book - you have great vision and are in a non crowded store. Me, I wear trifocals and have an eye going to hell (but one very good one) and have people behind me with carts, look fast my lady.

Are you miffed that I mentioned a neg on Day Lewis? I'm neutral on that and might like her.

I think it is just that you may not grasp we all don't navigate as you do.
Aldistar

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 02:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Just finished "Fragments of a Past" by Eiji Yoshikawa. Very intersting slice of life from turn of the century (Taiko and Showa eras) Japan. Now I'm onto "The Reluctant Spirtualist: The Life of Maggie Fox".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 03:43 pm
Just started reading Wicked.

Seems like a perfect transit book.
jespah

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 03:44 pm
@ehBeth,
I just finished Trust Agents by Chris Brogan and Julien Smith. Gonna lay off the social media books for a while and read a beginners' book on robot design.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 03:47 pm
@jespah,
Ooh, sounds interesting - not up my alley, though I could stand a one paragraph summary sometime later...

I'm still reading the pink striped History of Rome. I may go berserk, watch for it. But.. the text interests me a level more than the distraction annoys me. Much is of interest to me, details re etruscans and their intermixing with others over years, but the going is slow, since I need to step away from the pink lines. She (I am guessing a she) stops with the pink lines at page 83. I'm on page 19.

This is a case of watching a fast reader, myself, turning into a slow one.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 04:25 pm
Bruegel - The Complete Paintings by Rose-Marie and Rainer Hagen
http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/basic_art/all/01721/facts.bruegel_the_complete_paintings.htm

I'm planning on buying a single book from the Taschen monograph series on individual artists from the Renaissance to the modern day.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 04:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
As some know, I read the Soho Crime books

Two firsts last Friday. First book bought at the famous Strand Bookstore was my first Soho Crime novel.

Skeleton Hill from Peter Lovesey. Hopefully it will be the next book on my reading platter.
djjd62

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 04:55 pm
@ehBeth,
i really liked wicked, the sequels are okay, but not as good, i still can't get my head around the idea of a musical, i was hoping for a tim burton like movie