What BOOK are you reading right now?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 04:57 pm
@djjd62,
I've got friends who've been to the musical multiple multiple times. I don't get it.

I'm with you. Something in the Tim Burton vein seems a better match.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
cool.

I don't know Taschen (dumpkoft). Breugel, there's a guy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
Um. Lovesey is my least fav Soho author, but maybe I read the wrong one, or was was irritated at the time. Don't remember which one I read.

On the other hand, you and I are drawn to different writing, so..

One handy thing about Soho crime books - they are visible on the shelf, whether the older or newer ones. I can spot them a long way away.
Bohne

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:27 pm
@ehBeth,
I loved Wicked, but even more the musical.
Have read the sequel, son of a witch, which was good, too.
However, the third one, A Lion Among Men, I cannot seem to finish.
Have been trying for at least three months.

I just finished: Confessions of a Prairy Bitch by Alison Arngrim, which was a great read.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:38 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Um. Lovesey is my least fav Soho author, but maybe I read the wrong one, or was was irritated at the time. Don't remember which one I read.

On the other hand, you and I are drawn to different writing, so..

One handy thing about Soho crime books - they are visible on the shelf, whether the older or newer ones. I can spot them a long way away.

I knew nothing about the author when I picked it off the half priced shelves at Strand Books. It was more of an impulse buy then anything else. Maybe you can name drop a few authors from the Soho Crime brand so I can look into them the next time I go book hunting.

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
My slight mistake... it's my second Soho Crime book. I forgot I own the copy of The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill. Not so sure if I'll by any of the sequels to the Dr. Siri Paiboun mystery series.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not so much - I've liked most of them. Lovesey struck me as cutesy englishy, but I once liked that kind of cleverness. The rest of the books struck me as more spare, taut, dry, whatever the descriptives I might come up with, more to my present taste. On the other hand, I probably didn't read your particular purchase, and tastes differ. I'm sort of sorry I might have prejudiced you against it. Smacks own nose.

I was interested in the Cotteril book situation and setting - and also didn't hate it. Figured the one I read was part of a sequence I landed in the middle of.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I liked the Coroner's Lunch but don't feel too compelled to continue on with the Doctor's adventures despite the wild change of pace that's time period and unusual setting of the book (Laos).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:48 pm
@Bohne,
Bohne! it is great to read/see you again.

I hope you're well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:03 pm
@ehBeth,
I liked it fairly well... could've used a good editor... but my book club was furious with me, which is the main thing I retain from it (I'm the one who suggested it). They hated it, passionately. Nobody finished it, and I spent too long summarizing the plot (there's a lotta plot).
sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:10 pm
@sozobe,
Meanwhile, anyone heard of these obscure little books about a boy wizard by an obscure author named J.K. Rowling?

Finally reading Harry Potter, on book five, I get what the fuss is about. I already mentioned this when I was on book one or two but I get such strong Noddy vibes from the whole thing. Thinking of her a lot. Part of it is that she talked about the books and loved them and tried to get me to read them, partly is that she fits right into that world -- she's very Professor McGonagall, with a dash of Dumbledore. (And even the name! Dobby, Noddy, same general idea.)

At some point in book three I was holding the book in one hand while making myself lunch and Ron was warning Harry about enchanted books and bad things they can do, why there's an old witch in Bath whose books you can't put down once you start reading them, your nose is just stuck there until you've read the whole thing. (Is Rowling from Bath?) I laughed, anyway.
djjd62

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:17 pm
@sozobe,
they get better, and darker and sadder, i got teary eyed a few times in book 7
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:29 pm
Finished Bruegel and moved onto the Taschen book of Kandinsky by Hajo Düchting
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 07:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
mmmmm, another favorite, Kandinsky, I mean.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 01:18 am
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41aWTiK6nKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Good read
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 02:26 am
@sozobe,
Sozobe.... Razz
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:12 pm
Reading stuff for my 101 class. Rather than have everyone read the same thing, I put together a list of 8 projects, which will be done by small groups of from 2 - 4 students. Two involve watching two version of one Shakespearean play: the Olivier and Branaugh takes on Henry V, or, the Branaugh and Trevor Nunn Twelfth Night.

Also 1984; Brave New World; five books by Bill Pete, and Neil Gaiman's Preludes and Nocturnes. For those who are very literary, the two remaining projects are to put together a list of 10 poems, either about love or nature.

The students will write three papers on each project.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:17 pm
@plainoldme,
Three questions if I may...: How many projects does an individual student have to do in this class? How long does each paper have to be? How cruel and evil are you for assigning so much homework?!
Shocked
plainoldme

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
The kids each select one project. I am going to have them count out choices: first, second and third. There are 20 students in a class and 8 projects, which, hopefully, means all 8 projects will be selected and at least two people will work on them.

Peer review is a big thing for some reason. I feel working together on the same book or set of things will encourage co-operation and generate a lot more ideas than sitting alone in their room will.

The papers aren't that long. Their research paper will only be five pages. I am aiming for quality over quantity. Most of the papers will be the now classic (no one on the faculty knows why) five paragraph essay.

My remedial classes did more work than required. I suspect my 101 class will as well.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:59 pm
@plainoldme,
Pheeeww! That's sounds a bit more reasonable to me. Still. I'm glad I no longer have homework to turn in anymore. Razz