What BOOK are you reading right now?

Seed

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:05 pm
Currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Pretty good book. He is very descriptive. Not that that is bad by any means but it makes for a very long book. So far I am enjoying it.
djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:06 pm
@Seed,
got the ebook, gonna start it soon
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:12 pm
@Seed,
Wondering, any relation? I read A. J. so many years ago I can't remember..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Cronin
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:29 pm
@farmerman,
Why does this cover look like it could be an O'Reilly book?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ryePECK3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:47 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

But, I guess they serve a cause. He also said that, originally, the writer named The Tattoo "Men who hate women." Yikes

Yikes indeed. It's a very fitting title.

I wonder if the film edited out the blistering criticism against the capitalist economic system that gave the novel it's wicked bite.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:48 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

actually all three have been filmed, and american remakes are in the works (boo)

rumour has it that Emma Watson of Harry Potter fame, cut her hair to try out for the Lisbeth Salander role

Sorry! Try again!

Rooney Mara Is Your Lisbeth Salander
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/08/20100816_rmara_250x375.jpg
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/08/rooney_mara_is_your_lisbeth_sa.html?mid=agenda--20100816
djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
good, i'd hate to have to hate emma for the travesty this movie will likely be

hey americans, learn to read subtitles and make new movies
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:56 pm
@djjd62,
I'm not watching any of the movies until I finish reading ... okay ... listening to all three books.

How are the original Swedish films anyway? I heard good things about the first but not as much love for the second film (critics wise).
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:31 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Not that I suggest you not read it. I usually like to read scenarios set in India.

Have you perchance read The White Tiger, the debut novel by Aravind Adiga?
djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 05:02 am
@tsarstepan,
i started watching the films, got through the first and started the second but then i got the ebooks and decided to read the books before watching the rest of the films

really liked the first film
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:45 pm
Reading Alice Munro's Runaway. Read the first short story but haven't picked up the book since starting the second. Why?
djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:48 pm
@sumac,
sumac wrote:
but haven't picked up the book since starting the second. Why?

because the book got accidentally glued to the table?

ok i give up, why
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
No - but thanks for the clue..

Now on the wish list.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:22 pm
Today I started reading Why is Sex Fun? by Jared Diamond. It's a collection of essays about the evolution of human sexuality. And as usual with Jared Diamond, I'm learning a lot from this book, and it's incredibly fun to read---for this card-carrying nerd at least. Granted, it's not quite as fun as sex itself, but it's a very acceptable second-best.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:24 pm
Is that Jared Diamond book as long as his Guns, Germs and Steel?

I FINALLY finished Migraine..... phew!
Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:40 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
Is that Jared Diamond book as long as his Guns, Germs and Steel?

It's about one third the length, and split up in self-contained essays. I find it to be a much easier read than Guns, Germs, and Steel (Though I thought the latter was well worth the effort.)

Actually Diamond had me on page 1, with a passage on what our dogs might think about our sex lives. It provides a simple test on whether you want to read this book, so let me quote it for you:

Jared Diamond wrote:
If your dog had a brain and could speak, and if you asked it what it thought of your sex life, you might be surprised by its response. It would be something like this:

Those disgusting humans have sex any day of the month! Barbara proposes sex even when she knows perfectly well that she isn't fertile - like just after her period. John is eager for sex all the time, without caring where his efforts could result in a baby or not. But if you want to hear something really gross - Barbara and John kept on having sex while she was pregnant! That's as bad as all the times when John's parents come for a visit, and I can hear them too having sex, although John's mother went through this thing the call menopause years ago. Now she can't have babies anymore, but she still wants sex, and John's father obliges her. What a waste of effort! Here's the weirdest thing of all: Barbara and John, and John's parents, close the bedroom and have sex in private, instead of doing it in front of their friends like any self-respecting dog!

If you don't want to read on after that, the book is not for you. I reported, you decide.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:55 pm
@littlek,
I thought Guns Germs and Steel was a great read. More uplifting than Collapse, which is worth reading but somewhat more depressing.
littlek

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:00 pm
@hingehead,
I was daunted by the length (I was in grad school at the time), so I bought it on tape. I also enjoyed it thoroughly (aside from the annoying-sounding reader's voice).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I read Q&A (the novel Slumdog Millionaire was based on) a couple of years before it was made into a film. While it was a cute read some of the 'facts' were appallingly badly researched, considering author Vikas Swarup is a well travelled diplomat. At one point he talks about a brochure showing the volcanoes in Australia. Fail. And crocodile meat being flown from Canberra. Fail.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:52 am
@hingehead,
I could surmise that. But, I was married for decades to a screenwriter. Stuff happens in screenplays, that is the way of them. The film is the pulse, or the pulse is the film.

It is not my favorite novel re india, but it amused me. If I was from india, it might not amuse me at all, and knowing myself, would aggravate me.

So, and then what? If you in the world at large run across the book, it's a read. I never took it seriously.
0 Replies