What BOOK are you reading right now?

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 07:42 pm
@Swimpy,
Swimpy wrote:
any mention of his magic underwear?

Not yet -- not that I care whether he wears magic or muggle underwear. If it's an important issue for you, you may just have to pull for a president Palin.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 07:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
I heard Sedaris read his Macy's elf adventures on the radio. Really funny!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 07:44 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
If it's an important issue for you, you may just have to pull for a president Palin.

Or not waste one's vote and simply not vote for the Republican/Tea Party candidate.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 07:46 pm
@Swimpy,
What is his magic underwear? I feel Mitt . . . whose real name is Willard . . . remember the movie with the sappy song, "Ben," sung my Michael Jackson? Ben was a rat and Willard was the boy who loved him . . . anyway, I feel that Mitt has been around and not around all of my life.

We are both from Michigan and are the same age although he was from toney Birmingham or tonier Bloomfield Hills while I was from working class Dearborn. His father spoke at my high school graduation. I lived a few miles from him for years and did hear that when the Romneys hosted a high school party, all the parents were happy as they knew there would be no alcohol and that the kids would be supervised.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 07:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Or not waste one's vote and simply not vote for the Republican/Tea Party candidate.

As I said in my original comment, that would be my first choice. But sometimes ones first choice doesn't win. And when it doesn't, it matters whether the second choice is catastrophic (like, I think, Palin) or acceptable (like, I think, Romney). That's why I read the book and posted this brief comment about it.

Littlek, I think I owe you an apology. I didn't mean to turn your thread into yet another political slugfest.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 07:55 pm
Does anyone know what the sequel to Larry Niven's triple crown winning [1970 Hugo, Nebula, and Locus award-winning novel] Ringworld is?
littlek

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
umumum... I do... I read it... Er..... architects? No, engineers! The Ringworld Engineers. Of course much of the same stuff, though no ring worlds, are in thettales of Known Space.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 04:15 pm
@littlek,
Thanks. I will put it be putting it on the backburner. I liked the original novel but don't feel too compelled to move onto the next book just yet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 04:01 am
@Joeblow,
Were you talking to me (about The Stand ), Joeblow? (Not sure.)
If you were, I intend to get stuck into it this long weekend. I hope my wrists are up to it!
I will report back!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:44 pm
Presently, I am listening to the Hugo winning Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (which is strangely no longer being sold by audible.com anymore ... so weird).

What a mindbender to have Sam (the possible incarnation of Buddha) as the book's protagonist. I'm only a third the way through this book and I can't recommend it enough.

Post-apocalyptic feudal world. Science and technology disguised as magic. Sam/Buddha kicking ass and taking names through words and philosophy. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:49 pm
I'm still on Rabbit is Rich. Perhaps.
djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:14 pm
just finished this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0zI-cRsGPc0/R45b8mp8BxI/AAAAAAAABG4/lsGz_Dv4ZcI/s400/different+seasons.jpg

starting to re-read this
http://www.mgodding.biz/bookpix/012815.jpg

before starting this
http://rhulcreativewriters.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/swiftly-mmp.jpg

It is 1848 and the British Empire has grown rich exploiting Lilliputian slaves - the finesse of their working allowing unheard of feats of minature engineering; even Babbage's computing device has been made to work.

But now the French have formed a regiment of previously peaceful Brobdingnagian giants and invasion looms.

In a world where humanity is both smaller and larger than it once was, love and hate loom large. Mankind discovers itself at the centre of scale. Lilliptians are twelve times smaller than us but there are those twelve times smaller than them, and twelve times smaller again and so on. And the scale of being goes up from Swift's giants also...

A rip-roaring 19th century adventure, a love story and a thought-provoking pre-atomic SF novel about our place in the universe.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:49 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, I liked the Rabbit series. Maybe it was Updike's writing...he's a master at dialogue and capturing the detail of everyday life among a certain demographic. I wouldn't go back and read them again, though.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:55 pm
@Kara,
I'm probably plodding on since I have a clue re Updike, which is a happenstance.

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:13 pm
@ossobuco,
re-reading frank mccourt : teacher man

---------------------------------------------------------------

mike dolan handed me a note fr0m his mother explaining his absence the day before :

dear mr. mccort : mikey's grandmother who is my mother 80 years of age fell down the stairs from too much coffee ... ...
sincerely yours , imelda dolan
p.s. his grandmother is fine
-----------------------------------------------------------------
always good for a laugh
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Not that you don't, Kara. Just describing why I bother.

Kara

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:08 am
@ossobuco,
I knew what you meant Smile
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:22 am
@msolga,
I think quite a few people recommended The Stand as their first choice King recommendation to you msolga, but my favourite was The Talisman: Stephen King and Peter Straub. It has a similar heft, so if you do decide to give it a go, keep your wrist braces handy Wink (I love a big juicy novel!). I’m not sure if I would still recommend the one over the other, were I to read it now more than 25 years on, but I really loved it back then. As it goes, it's still my first pick.

I just read that a six part mini series is planned for release in 2012.

~~~~~~~~~~~

How's The Stand coming? Are you interested enough to try another King novel?
msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:37 am
@Joeblow,
Quote:
How's The Stand coming? Are you interested enough to try another King novel?

Frustratingly slowly, Joeblow. I don't think I'm doing it justice.
I read in big bursts, then I can't follow up again for days on end. Or else fall asleep after a few pages, last thing at night. I think it might be one of those books (because of the length) that's best read over a holiday period.

Am I interested in another King novel? Definitely. But I'd choose the right length novel for the right time. Wink
Joeblow

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:01 am
@msolga,
Oh yeah, I think that must happen to all of us from time to time. For the last several months, it's been taking me weeks to plod through anything, unless I'm completely captured.

The last novel to do that was Carol O'Connell's Find Me, a few weeks ago. I want more of it.

Quote:
...When Mallory's manic passage along 66 brings her to a forlorn caravan of parents looking for their lost children under the leadership of a weary--and possibly weird--old psychologist, Find Me quickly becomes a stunning novel of loss, anguish, psychosis, love, and redemption. The narrative is onionlike: events, motives, and other narrative necessities are peeled away layer by layer. Some layers work, others don't; a monumentally bent FBI agent leading a platoon of "body snatchers" ahead of the caravan strains credulity. But the anguish of the sad searchers and Mallory's own obsession with 66, and with her own lost childhood, simply require the reader to share the obsessions and see the story through to its end. Dense, demanding, and very powerful. Thomas Gaughan

http://www.amazon.com/Find-Me-Carol-OConnell/dp/0399153950