What BOOK are you reading right now?

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:23 am
@Joeblow,
Sounds good, Joe. Very enthusiastic reader reviews on the Amazon link, too.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:42 am
@Joeblow,
i enjoyed the story of The Talisman, but i got it as an audiobook, and hated the narrator (also have Black House, the sequel but haven't listened to it yet)

loved The Stand
msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:52 am
@djjd62,
OK, I'm thinking perhaps I should persevere, then, djjd.
Or else start again & read it during my next holiday break, minus the constant breaks.
djjd62

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:07 am
@msolga,
it's a monster book for sure

i would have suggested a smaller read first, perhaps Salems' Lot or The Shining
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:13 am
@djjd62,
I’m waaaay less enthusiastic about Black House dj, and wouldn’t recommend it, though I read it, natch, and will assuredly read the next in the series if they ever cough it up Laughing

I’ve never listened to an audiobook, but can well imagine that a poor narrator could ruin it! It might (?) be worth a look at the graphic novel (but I still haven't read one of those either). I think I read they released part one in October 2009.
djjd62

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 09:21 am
@Joeblow,
it's funny, the same narrator read the first few Gunslinger novels (2,3 & 4) and i loved them, not sure why i didn't like him on the other, gonna tackle Black House eventually

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 09:31 am
I have enough natural anxiety that I need to avoid Steven King.

I am reading a Salmon Rushdie novel for younger readers called Haroun and the Sea of Stories. It's fun. This is the second Rushdie book I've attempted, the first I gave up on. I don't remember what it was.

spendius

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:27 pm
I'm reading The Golden Bough. It's fascinating what science is saving us from.

The missing link sure was a crazy cookie.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:56 pm
@littlek,
The only Steven King novel I ever read was The Green Mile which I liked.

One of the nice things that has happened in my life is that my adult kids now share books with me. That's how The Green Mile came into my hands.
Aldistar

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:57 pm
@plainoldme,
The Queen's Conjurer by Benjamin Woolley

A biography about John Dee. I just sarted it but the man lead an intersting life and helped shape a good deal of history.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:12 pm
I'm reading "Beyond Belfast" - "A 560 Mile Walk Across Northern Ireland on Sore Feet." by the Will Ferguson, an award winning humourist, 3 time winner of the Stephen Leacock award.
This book is very funny and it's an interesting look at the people, the troubles and the beauty that is Norn Iron.
I've also read "Why I Hate Canadians", "How to be Canadian" and "Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw" I highly recommend them all.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:50 pm
@Ceili,
Hmm, I'll put Beyond Belfast on my list.. a kind of writing I usually like.

I'm still getting into Updike's Rabbit is Rich. I suffer, in a way, from not having read the first two books in the series. I don't relate to any of the characters, so far. On the other hand, they are very well drawn, as if from life, not authorly constructs.
hamburgboy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:34 pm
@ossobuco,
reading an oldy - but new to me : jody powell - the other side of the story .
yes back to the days of the carter administration - when a swamp rabbit made it into the news bigtime !

http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootdesigncontestentries/keyser520/1979_-_President_Attacked_by_Rabbit!-pup46m-d.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 06:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Rabbit Run was written in 1960. It is one of my all time favorites.
Rabbit Redux in 1970 and Rabbit is Rich in 1980. They all echo the mores of the times. It would behoove you to read them in chronological order, dear osso
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 07:08 pm
@panzade,
Ah, but I mostly buy books from the goodwill, so order is flummoxed. The good news is that I'm sure I read reviews, back in the day. I'm hanging in, I like Updike. His takes are photographic in the larger sense, very tuned.
Thanks for your backup.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 07:57 am
I am reading Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, a detailed examination of what can and can not be achieved by reason.

Kant writes long, difficult sentences because he wants the reader to go through the same mental labor that he did in arriving at his conclusions.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:20 am
@ossobuco,
It's hard to relate to Updike's characters. They tend not to be nice people.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:27 am
I am reading Shakespeare's Lost Kingdom by someone whose last name is Beauclerk (my 16-year-old cat is on my lap and I tend not to disturb her), who is a descendent of Edward de Vere. Beauclerk, of course, claims his ancestor wrote Shakespeare . . . as well as John Lyly and a few others.

While I think there is a case to be made for de Vere as well as one for a woman named Amelia Johnson Willoughby Lanyer, I tend to feel Willy o' Stratford wrote Shakespeare. I also dislike the way Beauclerk makes his case.

He claims Edward is the bastard son of Elizabeth I as he believes she was raped by Thomas Seymour. OK. But, I dislike his methods. Neither the birthdate of Shakespeare or de Vere was recorded but in S's case that is evidence he did not exist while in de Vere's case it is to cover the conspiracy of his birth. In other words, what is can be dismissed in the case of William is used to support his candidacy of Edward. The missing information was something covered by Liz or her minister Burleigh. What is a misspelling in the case of William is a clever pun on the part of Edward.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 01:17 pm
I almost don't want to post on here, because I also enjoy reading crap. But I have to follow a shakespear reader don't I -

I am reading "Exit the Rainmaker" - reason is I have thought, but never done what this man did. I think everyone has at one time or another.

I really need to see what actually makes some one go over that line.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 02:07 pm
@wandeljw,
JW, I loved that book and I've always related to Kant, although I read him a lifetime ago when I was minoring in philosophy at school.
0 Replies