What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:12 am
@Kara,
I read and loved Love in the Time of Cholera.. but have put Hundred Years down for a rest while I work my way through Rabbit is Rich having previously given it a rest and not having read the first two books in the Harry Angstrom - Updike trilogy. Harry, Rabbit, is not the most immediately likable guy I've read about. I've read at least some Updike over the years and have seen his voice change impeccably with the characters.. so I'm not giving up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:15 am
@littlek,
I've read about Sandra Cisneros and would like to read that, lilk.
littlek

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:18 am
@ossobuco,
Mango Street is interesting. Set, mostly, in a Hispanic neighborhood in Chicago and based on her life. She writes choppy and fragmented, but with rich characters. They are a series of very short, mostly connected stories.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:19 am
@Joeblow,
There's also a book with a similar name by Octavio Paz, The Labyrinth of Solitude, that I had and never read (meant to, of course). I don't think I even opened that one. It got shuffled off when I did my big move and book-letting about five years ago.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:21 am
@plainoldme,
I remember liking the Spenser - well, the parts I read - and absolutely nothing about it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:27 am
@littlek,
I'm sure I've read reviews.. but the key thing I remember about Cisneros is a big hullaballoo she had with her historic district neighborhood association about painting her house (in San Antonio?) a vivid purple..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 11:21 am
Emily Davis by Miss Read
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 03:19 pm
@ehBeth,
graham mccann : spike & co

" inside the house of fun with milligan , sykes , galton & simpson "

Quote:
The Goon Show was a British radio comedy programme, originally produced and broadcast by the BBC Home Service from 1951 to 1960, with occasional repeats on the BBC Light Programme. The first series, broadcast between May and September 1951, was titled Crazy People; all subsequent series had the title The Goon Show.

The show's chief creator and main writer was Spike Milligan

a must have book for fans of british comedy
panzade

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 04:09 pm
@hamburgboy,
great recommendation herr hamburger
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 04:12 pm
@hamburgboy,
interesting, i quite enjoyed all of spike milligan's war memoirs
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 04:16 pm
@djjd62,
spike milligan - the lord's prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7i01GPs-hQ&feature=related
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 04:35 pm
@plainoldme,
I loved the Fairie Queen and other ancient reads...such as Chaucer and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. But that was back when I was an EM and could read all day and call it classwork! I've thought of working my way through Chaucer again...just to see if I could read the old text....

Then I go out and buy A Reliable Wife, which I saw at my local bookshop....go figure
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 05:51 pm
Last week, I finished the collection of short stories (via audiobook) called For the Relief of Unbearable Urges by Nathan Englander.

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/products/ProductDetail.jsp?productID=BK_RAND_001127&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
http://psdtutsarticles.s3.cdn.plus.org/2010/inspiration_photobookcovers/unbearableurges.jpg

What a great book. The mix of the tragic and the comic. It also has the the one great Christmas story that finally tops David Sedaris' infamously hysterical Macy's Christmas elf story from his Santaland Diaries collection. Englander's story is titled Red Kringle, about the nervous breakdown of a Jewish man who returns every year to work as a department store Santa Claus.
~

This week, I'm working on the audiobook of Larry Niven's Ringworld. I have to thank Djjd for letting me know a bit back when audible.com had the book for free. I'm finally getting around to listening to it.

So far it's damn good.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 06:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
I was on edge re Sedaris, as in enough was enough. Now, more?

No, I'm not protecting macy's christmas, just that bludgeoning is boring.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 06:48 pm
@ossobuco,
The Nathan Englander story (though fiction compared to Sedaris' alleged true autobiographical Christmas story) is pretty funny. I got the story title wrong. It's not Red Kringle but Reb Kringle.
http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/products/ProductDetail.jsp?productID=BK_RAND_001130&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
You can get a audio sample of the story here.
Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 06:59 pm
I'm currently reading Mitt Romney's No Apology: The Case for American Greatness. As you might predict by its title, the book is full of bromides about patriotism, family anecdotes, hard work, the virtues of small-businesses, and the like. You can see that this is Mitt Romney sticking his toe into the water for the 2012 election. But between these fits of posturing, Romney talks about the specifics of what he did as a businessman and governor, and how he decides what the right decision is. That's where he comes across as a reality-based, pragmatic, grown-up moderate.

Two thirds of my way through the book, my impression is that I wouldn't support Romney over Obama, but consider him a reasonable second-best if Obama loses. I wish him well in the 2012 primaries.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 07:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ok, ok, ok, I'll listen.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 07:03 pm
@Thomas,
This all makes me weary, but I'll take note of your read, Thomas.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 07:11 pm
@Thomas,
any mention of his magic underwear?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 07:29 pm
@Swimpy,
http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/political-pictures-mitt-romney-political-expediency.jpg
0 Replies