What BOOK are you reading right now?

plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 08:36 am
Not that I ever read Elmore Leonard but there was a fun interview on NPR's Morning News SHow with Scott Simon (one of the smartest men on the planet) with Elmore and his two novelist sons. You can find it on line if you are interested.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 03:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Smile)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 07:48 pm
I'm half way through the audiobook/blasphemously hysterical memoir from Shalom Auslander entitled The Foreskin's Lament.
http://tinyurl.com/ylz4vtv
A positive review from the NYTimes:
Quote:
Writing with humor and bitter irony about the most personal subjects, with deep, real-world consequences, is no task for an acolyte, although many have tried. With his middle finger pointed at the heavens and a hand held over his heart, Auslander gives us “Foreskin’s Lament.” Mazel tov to him. And God? Well, he’ll survive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/books/review/Anastas-t.html
DrMom

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 06:05 pm
"Stones into Schools" by Greg mortenson. He remains my no. 1 hero. This book is a sequel to NY times best seller " Three cups of Tea"
As opposed the first one IMO this has more hard core reality as he now ventures into the true last places of the world. Amazing , unimaginable acount of one man's passion for fighting voilence with schools as opposed to guns that has now touched innumerable lives.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 06:47 pm
@DrMom,
I listened to a radio interview with Greg Mortenson about this book last night. Fascinating man and story. I look forward to reading this book.

His discussion last night about why the Taliban have targeted schools for girls wasn't shocking, but it was thought-provoking.
DrMom

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Please first read " Three cups of Tea" IMO the second one is for people already enrolled into his mission. The first one is more entertaining and arresting at the same time!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:44 am
@tsarstepan,
That was hysterical.

I hesitate to recommend it because it's some strong brew. But I was really impressed with it.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:59 pm
@sozobe,
Yep. One has to know the other person's temperament before recommending such an antireligious institution screed/memoir.

This afternoon, I finished the audiobook of Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates.

Quote:
Sarah Vowell, a popular contributor to public radio’s “This American Life,” is an American-history buff with a self-proclaimed predilection for Puritan New England, the Civil War, and bloodbaths. Hers is emphatically not the history taught in high school " often a target of her sarcastic wit.

Vowell is a master of the unexpected angle or pop-culture connection used to confer fresh relevance on often dowdy subjects.

In her new book, The Wordy Shipmates, one of her more outrageous parallels compares the Pequot war, in which 700 Indians were murdered in Mystic Fort, with a frustrated skateboarder’s “destructive tantrum.”

Vowell’s eponymous shipmates are the Puritans who settled the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630 " 10 years after the Mayflower Pilgrims settled Plymouth.

Why should we be interested in Protestants who fled Charles I during the Great Migration? Because “the country I live in is haunted by the Puritans’ vision of themselves as God’s chosen people, as a beacon of righteousness that all others are to admire,” Vowell writes.

What Vowell finds worrisome is that we have lost the Puritans’ humility and fear of God, which kept their egotism and delusions of grandeur in check. Even more troubling, we have also lost their respect for learning. Vowell asserts that the United States has veered away from the original bookishness of the Bay Colony in favor of the anti-intellectual, more emotional religion now practiced in America.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/Book-Reviews/2008/1022/the-wordy-shipmates

A well written and researched work of history, Vowell writes with a wicked wit and an intelligent eye for detail.

I so dearly love Sarah Vowell!
http://i48.tinypic.com/rrqfeq.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 08:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Today, I finally finished Starfish by Peter Watts. Within a week, I'll be hunting down the sequel: Maelstrom!

I am presently putting Kurt Vonnegut's annoyingly obsolete Player Piano on indefinite hiatus. I got 1/3rd the way finished with the audiobook and I do like some of its political/labor messages but too much of it is antiquated from the vacuum tubed powered computers to the jerkishly sexist characters. It definitely is a time capsule of a novel from 1952.

I have started reading Roberto Bolano's short novel Monsieur Pain. Very Happy And I took out the critically acclaimed Lowboy from a Brooklynite author, John Wray.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
I love Sarah Vowell, too. Her voice is like no other.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:32 pm
@Kara,
I am purportedly reading One Hundred Years of Solitude -
but no, I'm reading this week's new yorker.
Kara

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Too funny, Osso. I'm staring at my New Yorker that arrived in the mail today. I tried and tried to read that book...never got past the first 75 pages.
panzade

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:38 pm
@Kara,
ditto
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:44 pm
Always Looking up By Michael J Fox. Pretty good so far
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 02:48 am
A bit of a flippant question, I know ...

But I just borrowed Stephen King's The Stand from my local library. It has 1325 pages!

Could someone in the know advise me about whether it's worth ploughing into this big, fat book, or not?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 03:59 am
@msolga,
It's my personal favorite Stephen King book but then again I read it in high school so my literary judgement was a tad different then it is now.
msolga

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 04:05 am
@tsarstepan,
OK, well that's a pretty good recommendation. From a very discerning reader! (I'm sure you were pretty discerning in high school too, tsar!)
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 06:35 am
@ossobuco,
Distinguishing between the names counfounded me. So frustrating.

I think I finished it and liked it, too. Now I want to find my copy for a quick look to be sure.

Would love to know what you think if you persevere.
littlek

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:01 am
Reading The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisernos - for the first time.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:05 am
Both my daughter and I loved 100 YEars of Solitude . . . in fact, it is one of my all time favs.

I have more or less been reading the granddaddies of literature for several years and I just picked up Spenser's The Faery Queen. . . read parts of it in high school and in grad school . . . but found my old volume of Book One and Two and thought I would give it another goround.