What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 07:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, not just interested in cooking, that is the substrate the author is playing on..
panzade

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 07:21 pm
Thanks for the tip osso, I'll look for it
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 07:31 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco... I've been listening to the audiobook version of Stephen King's Under the Dome. When they make the inevitable adaption be it on television or feature film, they are going to have to cast for Horace, a corgi who's the friend and pet to the town's newspaper editor/publisher/owner. Would you know any particular corgi who would ... no ... should make his big screen debut? Smile
plainoldme

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
i haven't heard of the book. i remember that more than one Man Booker nominee/winner disappointed my old book group.

I finished reading Ahab's Wife, although three times, I thought of not bothering with it. The main character married Ahab and after he died, she eventually had a long affair with "Ishmael," the narrator of Moby Dick and managed to meet all of the early 19th C celebrities and to promote abolitionism, free love, gay sex and civil rights.

I just started a collection of essays: A concise Companion to Postwar American Literature and Culture. It seems promising.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
My late dear corgi would have been a great star; he had a strong presence, thoughtful, and assertive when the occasion called for it, capable of much smiling. Don't tell me I'm going to have to read Stephan King?
Kara

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:25 am
@ossobuco,
Osso, if you do stoop to read Steven King, start with "Thinner." He did another one I liked about a young girl who got lost in the woods but had a portable radio and listened to baseball.
djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:29 am
@Kara,
the girl who loved tom gordon, a really good book, even my mother how doesn't enjoy "horror" really liked it

i don't always enjoy everything he writes, and he has some real style problems (long set ups with sometimes rushed endings), but i always enjoy his character development

another good set of tales is different seasons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Different_Seasons

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:33 am
@Kara,
Thanks, I will put them on my wish list. I know a lot of people appreciate S. King. And thanks, djjd too.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 08:34 pm
I've read just one Stephen King book, THe Green Mile. I thought the movie was terrific and I did enjoy the book. I have seen several movie adaptations . . . including the ridiculous one about the sheltered girl who finally menstruates. . .The Shawshank Redemption . . . at least two starring Kathy Bates. . . and the one with Jack Nicholson as the bonkers writer.

SHould any university ever allow a degree candidate to write a thesis on King, I think the natural line of inquiry would be imprisonment in the novels of SK.

While at least two of his books, Green Mile and Shawshank, are actually set in prisons, most of his books seem to involve people in situations or relationships that confine them either physically,intellectually or spiritually.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 08:41 pm
Kara, it's not so much that I would stoop to read Stephan King, as that I'm more like djjd's mother, not horror (etc) oriented.
Kara

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:55 am
@ossobuco,
I had forgot that Stephen King wrote Shawshank! I didn't read the book but it must have been terrific -- the film is top of my best list and also way up there in "brilliant endings." (I've never been able to change the channel when I run across Shawshank on late-nite movies...although I can repeat almost every line verbatim.)

Green Mile, Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (thanks, djjd,) Thinner....I guess I do like Stephen King, just not his horror stuff. Try it, Osso. You may be hooked.

POM, interesting thought about imprisonment. In the S.K.'s I've read, the protagonist's mind or body is indeed confined.
Kara

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:57 am
@djjd62,
Looks to be an interesting series, djjd. I look for a used copy on Amazon.
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:03 am
@Kara,
The Poisoners HAndbook, A neat title when reading on a plane. Its actually the birth and development of forensic sciences in the US.
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:05 am
@plainoldme,
I thought that in Hearts in Atlantis, King couldnt figure out what kind of a story line he wanted to become.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:59 am
@plainoldme,
good overview of King's central theme.
Kara

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:56 pm
@farmerman,
That is going on my list. (Especially to read on a plane Smile
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:29 pm
@Kara,
I've had that idea at the back of mind for a long time. Actually, several of the movies based on his novels were very good.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:30 pm
@panzade,
Thanks.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:34 pm
@panzade,
Am I the only one who couldnt get the point of Hearts in Atlantis?.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:39 pm
@farmerman,
I couldn't get the point either! Then again I guess getting the point of the book one must have read the book.
<<<<sigh>>>> Confused <<<<sigh>>>>