What BOOK are you reading right now?

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 08:03 am
@djjd62,
I'm reading an unsuspecting drug thriller in Robert Stone's Dog Soldiers (half way through). I love the author and I knew this won the National Book Award in the 1970's. I just assumed it was a book about a soldier's survival in the Vietnam War as I thought because I misjudged the (apparently) ironic title and I didn't actually read the plot summary (a rare move on my part). It's better then I expected. I'm really surprised that Hollywood hasn't made it into a movie.

I love the morally ambivalent characters. Still find them quite sympathetic. I kind of hope it turns out well for our illustrious trio of opportunist slackers. It's kind of funny but more importantly it's a great character study.

Francis

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 08:16 am
After reading "The shadow of the wind", I'm reading this one now:

http://athenadr.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/3d05e5df-8735-4bec-b819-b048e5219f9fimg100.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 08:21 am
@Francis,
He's an author that I see often get glowing reviews (not by professional book reviewers) but by avid forum book readers. They often give him intriguing sounding plotlines. Enough to make me want to read them when I read their book thoughts.

But when I'm browsing in the book store or the library I often forget about him therefore I never get around to reading any of his mystery/fantasy like books.
Francis

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 08:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes, his plotlines are imaginative and beautifully written...

Why don't you buy the book online?
George

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 09:56 am
Finished Crime and Punishment.
Started When the Game was Ours by Larry Bird & Magic Johnson.
djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:00 am
@Francis,
Francis, given the description of the novel, you' might like this

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n57/n288460.jpg

New York Times bestselling author China Miéville delivers his most accomplished novel yet, an existential thriller set in an enthralling city that is unlike any other - real or imagined

When the body of a murdered woman is found in the extraordinary, decaying city of Beszel, somewhere at the edge of Europe, it looks like a routine case for Inspector Tyador Borlú of the Extreme Crime Squad. But as he probes, the evidence begins to point to conspiracies far stranger, and more deadly, than anything he could have imagined. Soon his work puts him and those he cares for in danger.

Borlú must travel to the only metropolis on Earth as strange as his own, across a border like no other. It is a journey as psychic as it is physical, a shift in perception, a seeing of the unseen, a journey to Beszel's equal, rival, and intimate neighbor, the rich and vibrant city of Ul Qoma.

With shades of Kafka and Philip K. Dick, Raymond Chandler and 1984, The City & The City is a murder mystery taken to dazzling metaphysical and artistic heights.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:02 am
@Francis,
I already have too many books on my to read list and I just bought two new books yesterday: Walter Mosely's latest novel, The Long Fall and The Interrogative Mood: A Novel? by [/i]Padgett Powell[/i].

I swear I'll put one of his books on reserve at the NYPL. Which one should I start with?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:08 am
@George,
Have you read the diptych of basketball memoirs by Tyrone “Mugsy” Bogues:
Tales of an Slam Dunking Anklebiter and From up here He Looks Like an Ant?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:20 am
@littlek,
I am reading The Emergence of American Literary Narrative 1820-1860 by Jonathan Arac. It is not for everyone but it does point out that the more things change, the more they remain the same. Offers a look at political as well as literary movements in the early 19th C. Demonstrates that the tea baggers are nothing new but a re-incarnation of the Whigs.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:33 am
@plainoldme,
Astute observation plainoldme. It appears that you are a prodigal and formerly prolific a2ker. I'm glad to make your acquaintance.
panzade

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:36 am
@tsarstepan,
goody! after a 3 year sabbatical POM is back!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:38 am
@panzade,
Grouphugathon!
http://i46.tinypic.com/290rhxt.jpg
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 08:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I haven't read Stone's Dog Soldiers, but I've liked his other books.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 08:42 pm
@panzade,
Hi, POM, welcome back.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 08:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't know either of the specific books, like Mosley well enough; the next seems like a sleep stopper.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 08:47 pm
@Francis,
I won't speak for tsarstepan but for some of us buying books online is a real venture into luxury. What we might buy would multiply. Don't even get me started.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks,ossobuco, it was good to see your name here!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
I am happy to make your's as well!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:19 pm
@plainoldme,
I'm belated on recording recents here. Ai, chihuahua.

Will be back, at least with a start.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:44 pm
@ossobuco,
So,

all three books by Carafiglio - yes - I have a bias re italian police/legal procedurals, but am picky within that genre. Never mind the art theft multiples..
John Le Carre's The Mission Song - I was very drawn in to it.
Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow (I know I read that before, no memory of it, amazing blank. Maybe it was another book of his.) Ok, so tell me about it again?
Amy Tan's The Kitchen God's Wife. A bit of a slog somewhere in the middle but it panned out and then later I didn't mind the slog. Basically I liked it.
Joseph Finder's Company Man - was with him for x pages and then was annoyed, it's still on the pile.
Ken Follett's The Third Twin. I didn't entirely hate it.

I buy en bache from thrift stores (except once in a while), so there are some amusing finds, or not so much.
0 Replies