George

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 04:48 pm
Finished Guests of the Sheik.
Started Truman.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 04:56 pm
just now finished listening to this, enjoyed it very much

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FFXwdxbTPCQ/Se8pJEQWx7I/AAAAAAAAAEY/sbnuuG54Ri4/s320/JulianComstock.jpg

Set in the late 22nd century USA, essentially from 2172 to 2176 , with glimpses from the past and an epilogue some years later, we visit an America that is very familiar from the history books of the 19th century with some twists.

After the "age of Oil and Atheism" ended in catastrophe, with the "Fall of the Cities", the rise of "estates" worked by indentured labor and of the Dominion "of Jesus Christ on Earth", a unifying religious umbrella governing the "approved" - all Christian of course - churches, and having a powerful influence on secular life consolidated in the time of the "Pious Presidents" and headquartered in Colorado Springs, America has both a lot of continuity with the country of today while regressing with the whole world at a 19th century technology level, but also is quite different in essential ways.

The power resides in the President whose imposing fortified palace occupies the grounds of today's Central Park in Manhattan, Washington having been abandoned a long time ago, the Senate, the Army - there are two of them, of the East, "Laurentian", and of the West, of the "Californias" and of course the Dominion; the Supreme Court has been dissolved by the 52nd Constitutional Amendment, election by inheritance has been allowed by the 53rd, and the Comstock family has been occupying the Presidency for 30 years now. So both continuity and change, with the 22nd century USA resembling to some extent both Tsarist Russia and the late Roman Empire in structure, though change is in the air. The four national holidays are Easter, Independence Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Of course the Comstocks do not form a happy family, with Deklan "Conqueror" the current President and former commander of the Laurentian Army having sent younger and more popular brother Bryce and the army of the Californias on a dangerous expedition in Panama to occupy the Canal against Brazilian "provocations"; when that succeeded only too well, Deklan had Bryce recalled and hanged for treason.

Bryce's only son and Deklan's only "heir", Julian has been spared being a child as well due to his mother Emily's powerful aristocratic connections, but he was sent far away in Athabasca to a small estate-town for protection by his worried mother.

There is an ongoing decades long war in Labrador against the "Dutch" settlers, actually the German - Deutsche - speaking forces of "MittelEuropa", though Netherlands being under water due to the increasing sea levels, many Labrador settlers are indeed of "Dutch" origins; the important city of Montreal, currently American held is close to the front lines.

The repopulated cities are much smaller, the technology is at a roughly 19th century level, most people outside the aristocracy - Eupatrids - and the clergy are illiterate, the 20/early 21st century are both a myth and a warning for "the sins of free inquiry and prosperity", the Moon Landing is considered a legend though there are preserved books with actual pictures of it and Charles Darwin is the ultimate "apostate" in popular "culture".

Adam Hazzard is an 18 year old "lease-boy" in Athabasca - belonging to what passes for middle class in the rural estates, the skilled workers straddling between the masses of indentured laborers not better than slaves and the Eupatridians - and the similar aged Julian befriends him on a hunt, while Julian's tutor/surrogate father, retired officer Sam Goodwin, who is secretly Jewish, Judaism being sort of tolerated by the Dominion, but beyond the pale socially, arranges that Adam becomes Julian's companion, by essentially "purchasing" his skills from his parents who were understandably afraid of his association with an aristocratic semi-outcast.

The book stands at 416 pages divided in five named parts. The novel is told through the eyes of Adam as his later recounting of the times of Julian the "Apostate" and "Conqueror", in a clear homage to the later Roman Emperor of the same name that battled the rise of Christianity and died young in battle; there are lots of notes "inserted" by Adam that illuminate the back-story and add a lot to the depth of the novel and our understanding of its context.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:46 pm
halfway through listening to this

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n57/n288460.jpg

New York Times bestselling author China Miéville delivers his most accomplished novel yet, an existential thriller set in an enthralling city that is unlike any other - real or imagined

When the body of a murdered woman is found in the extraordinary, decaying city of Beszel, somewhere at the edge of Europe, it looks like a routine case for Inspector Tyador Borlú of the Extreme Crime Squad. But as he probes, the evidence begins to point to conspiracies far stranger, and more deadly, than anything he could have imagined. Soon his work puts him and those he cares for in danger.

Borlú must travel to the only metropolis on Earth as strange as his own, across a border like no other. It is a journey as psychic as it is physical, a shift in perception, a seeing of the unseen, a journey to Beszel's equal, rival, and intimate neighbor, the rich and vibrant city of Ul Qoma.

With shades of Kafka and Philip K. Dick, Raymond Chandler and 1984, The City & The City is a murder mystery taken to dazzling metaphysical and artistic heights.

very interesting, and quite enjoyable
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:55 pm
I'm a dozen pages from the end - a mirror? - of Updike's Brazil. What a book. I didn't like it much past the first dozen pages, but followed along on what I see as laddered constructs, well written.

More later.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't yet know my reaction to this book. I saw it as construct early on, later on explained by Updike in the paperback last book page - not just a construct but an elaborate one.

I think I'm glad I read it, while annoyed.

Well, to temporize, I'll quote some or all of J.U.'s afterword..

"Two great books have gone into the making of this small one: Rebellion in the Backlands - skip link, by Euclides de Cunha (skip) and Tristes Tropiques by Claude Levi-Strauss (more). Through the Brazilian Wilderness, by Theodore Roosevelt......
Also useful were Red Gold, by John Hemming; The Masters and the Slaves by Gilberto Freyre (etc)"

and then he goes on to cite a lot more. Waaaay more than two.

Updike understood the intricacy of the human heart - but the whole book seems constructed to me. Worth reading for the intricacy part.

too
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 08:12 pm
@ossobuco,
I should add that I know Brazil is complex. I have no idea if Updike nabbed any of it.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:11 pm
@ossobuco,
It's my own problem that I am not usually amused by literary constructs, and since I'm not, I get testy.

Still, this book interested me. Not re the concocted themes running through the book, much less the language of the purported speakers.. or much else,

I just ended up wondering how Updike would wind this up.

I found it all silly, re a place, many places, that interest me but I take as not there in the book.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 09:26 pm
What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self (a Christmas gift Smile)

Extraordinary women share the wisdom they wish they'd had when they were younger.

Contributors include: Madeleine Albright, Macy Gray, Rebecca Lobo, Phylicia Rashad, Cokie Roberts, Trisha Yearwood, Beverly Sills, Eileen Fisher, Maya Angelou, Lee Ann Womack, Ann Curry, Nora Roberts, Jane Bryant Quinn, Liz Smith, Queen Noor, Olympia Dukakis and Vanna White.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 10:03 pm
The other day I finished a very rare rereading of the trippy Piper in the Night by David Smeds.
Quote:
Dennis Short, a navy medic just back from Vietnam, is assigned to the staff of the navy target range on the uninhabited Hawaiian island of Kahoolawe. Uninhabited, that is, except for herds of feral goats and (on another plane) nymphs, satyrs and the god Pan out of classical mythology. Short opens a path between the mundane and the mythic planes by finding Pan's own pipes and by becoming the beloved of the nymphs. But he also becomes Tragos, the archenemy of Pan, and both hunter of the satyrs (and their avatars, the goats) and their quarry. The tension rises steadily as Tragos and Short engage in a deadly struggle for the possession of the corpsman's body and soul. A taut, understated narrative makes the scenes of blood, terror and desire all the more convincing. The author also has done exceptionally fine work with the characters, starting with Short and including Jones, the street-smart African-American; Potter, the novice who wants to grow up; and Priest, the ensign who is more grown up than anyone realizes. Mixing distinctly diverse elements into a coherent story with a success that would have eluded most genre authors, Smeds has created one of the better fantasies to come out of the Vietnam experience. (June) Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information.

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:11 pm
I've just finished reading Joseph Heller's "Picture This," a novel, perhaps, but presented more in a non-fiction than fiction format.Most people are familiar with his Catch 22. "Picture This" refers to Rembrandt's painting "Aristotle contemplating a bust of Homer. The novel rambles between Rembrandt's time-17th century and ancient Greece, specifically Athens and their empire and wars with Sparta. Heller relates these histories matter-of-factly with a sardonic wit, even more bitter than in Catch 22. Heller's humor just slightly disguises trajedy in Catch 22, and there is little humor to disguise in "Picture This."

One soon becomes aware, while reading this book, that Heller is not talking about 17th century Holland nor ancient Greece; he's talking about 20th century America indirectly without putting us on the defensive as Perseus was able to view the Medusa indirectly by the reflection in Athena's shiny breastplate
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 09:18 pm
I'm reading Godless by Dan Barker. An interesting read.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 09:22 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson...a late reply here. You gave your library away but cling to a few books. I think that I, too, would cling to Out Stealing Horses. Extraordinary book. I give away right and left, to the local library and other organizations. But there are the precious few. Kept.
Pemerson

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 11:53 pm
@Kara,
Yeah, some books are tough to part with, some too terrible. A few months ago I read The Great Heretics by Oxford historian. For some reason I cannot find this book and don't recall the author's name, but it was written just last year. It is an extremely terrible time in human history and I don't even like to look at its cover. People want the truth, so we are all getting it. But, the truth is terrible. I can't part with this book (when it's found).

Just finished reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, an incredibly almost shocking novel about both the real Dracula and at the same time a fictionalized Dracula who is still among the undead. But, it also reads like a travelogue of middle and eastern Europe, and jumps back and forth thru the centuries to places I know little of. It's a first published for this author.

I'm now reading Kostova's second novel, The Swan Thieves, a story about art and obsession. Love this book, as any artist will. Not that I'm an artist, but I have taken classes and painted some not-so-great pictures that I put fancy frames around and pretend they are better than they are. Great love story, I guess, but it's painful because the artist is in a psychiatriac hospital and won't speak. The writer, then, talks with all who know, or have known him. I keep looking at the author's picture on the cover and wonder how she writes things like this, she is so young.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 02:19 pm
Just picked up "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. Have only read the first few pages but so far it seems interesting. Will let you all know what I think after I am done
djjd62

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 02:25 pm
@Seed,
i really like it (got it in audio)

i've got the second one (catching fire) but haven't listened to it yet, the third one (mocking jay) is out this summer i think
Seed

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 02:29 pm
@djjd62,
Yea, I saw it in the store (the second one) next to it when I picked it up. Read the jacket and will be picking it up (more then likely) after I get done with this and the first two of five from the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series I got.
djjd62

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 02:35 pm
@Seed,
you might like "shiver " by maggie stiefvater, interesting take on the man into wolf story (not specifically werewolves)

you might also like "boneshaker" by cherie priest
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 03:01 pm
took book store gift cards i got and filled in the gaps in my Fables graphic novel collection

just re read them all in order over the last week, such a great story

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Fables.png

Fables is a comic book series created by writer Bill Willingham, published by DC Comics's Vertigo imprint beginning in 2002. The series deals with various characters from fairy tales and folklore " referring to themselves as "Fables" " who have been forced out of their Homelands by "The Adversary" who has conquered the realm. The Fables have traveled to our world and formed a clandestine community in New York City known as Fabletown. Fables who are unable to blend in with human society (such as monsters and anthropomorphic animals) live at "the Farm" in upstate New York.

Legends In Exile (issues 1 to 5): The introduction to Fabletown. Sheriff Bigby Wolf investigates the apparent murder of Rose Red.

Animal Farm (issues 6 to 10): A revolt occurs on the Farm, a place for inhuman Fables.

Bag 'O Bones (issue 11): A tale set during the American Civil War in which Jack finds a way to cheat Death.

A Two-Part Caper (issues 12 and 13): A mundane journalist finds out about the Fables and they have to decide how to react.

Storybook Love (issues 14 to 17): Bluebeard hatches a plot to rid himself of Bigby and Snow by enchanting them, and the homicidal Goldilocks attempts to kill the pair. Charming decides to run for Fabletown Mayor.

Barleycorn Brides (issue 18): Bigby tells Flycatcher the story of a Smalltown tradition.

The Last Castle: (Prestige format one-shot): Boy Blue relates the tale of the last stand against the Adversary's forces in the Homelands.

March of the Wooden Soldiers (issues 19 to 21 and 23 to 27): Prince Charming runs for Mayor of Fabletown while the community deals with the apparent escape from the Homelands of Red Riding Hood. The Adversary sends his first troops into Fabletown to begin an assault.

Cinderella Libertine (issue 22): Cinderella's apparently frivolous lifestyle is revealed to be a front.

War Stories (issues 28 and 29): Bigby's adventures during World War II.

The Mean Seasons (issues 30 to 33): Snow gives birth and realizes she must relocate to the Farm. Bigby isn't allowed there and instead exiles himself. Snow encounters Bigby's estranged father, North Wind. One of her children is revealed to be quite different than the others, so she sends him to find his father.

Jack Be Nimble (issues 34 and 35): Jack goes to Hollywood and sets up a film studio. Spins off into Jack of Fables.

Homelands (issues 36 to 38 and 40 and 41): Boy Blue goes on a mission to the Homelands with the aim of assassinating the Adversary and learns the Adversary's identity.

Meanwhile (issue 39): What has been going on in Fabletown during Blue's adventures.

Arabian Nights (and Days) (issues 42 to 45): A delegation of Arabian Fables led by Sinbad visits Fabletown to discuss an alliance against the Adversary.

The Ballad of Rodney and June (issues 46 and 47): A side story of the seemingly ill-fated love of Rodney and June, two members of the Adversary's forces.

Wolves (issues 48 and 49): Mowgli searches for the missing Bigby and brings him a message from Fabletown.

Happily Ever After (issue 50): Bigby returns, delivers a warning to the Adversary and marries Snow.

Big and Small (issue 51): Cinderella continues her mission in the Cloud Kingdom, but in order to treat a sick giant king must be turned into a mouse and enlist the aid of Smalltown's resident medic.

Sons of Empire (issues 52 to 55): The Adversary calls a conference of the Imperial elite to decide what to do about Fabletown. Pinocchio has to face up to his divided loyalties.

Jiminy Christmas (issue 56): Santa Claus' existence as a Fable is addressed.

Father and Son (issues 57 and 58): Bigby decides that the time has come to square things with his father, the North Wind. On a hunt, his children encounter Bigby's siblings, who have become more beasts than men.

Burning Questions (issue 59): Readers were invited to participate in a contest by asking Willingham questions of unresolved events in the series. Here, they are answered.

The Good Prince (issues 60 to 63 and 65 to 69): Flycatcher, who has never fully accepted the death of his wife, must face up to his past.

The Birthday Secret (issue 64): A peek inside the Witching Well and the birthday of Bigby's children.

Kingdom Come (issue 70): Boy Blue and Rose Red discuss their relationship. Flycatcher's offer is brought to the Farm. Plans are made to begin the war.

Skullduggery (issues 71 and 72): Cinderella repays her debt to Frau Totenkinder by going on a mission down South.

War and Pieces (issues 73 to 75): Fabletown and the Empire go to war.

Around the Town (issue 76): Fabletown's newest member is given a tour, much to the displeasure of some of the other residents.

The Dark Ages (issues 77 to 81): A new era begins as the residents of Fabletown face the aftermath of the war. New challenges arise at home and in a distant land a dark power is awakened.

Waiting for the Blues (issue 82): An epilogue to "The Dark Ages".

The Great Fables Crossover (issues 83 to 85): Bigby and Beast get into a violent fight that demonstrates the influence of the dark powers present. Rose Red sinks deeper and deeper into depression. Stinky starts a religion foretelling Boy Blue's heroic return, which a returning Jack Horner takes advantage of before encountering his son, the new Jack Frost. In an interesting twist, the issues are more focused on Jack than on the other Fables. (Note: Includes Jack of Fables issues 33 to 35 and The Literals issues 1 to 3.)
Kara

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 07:12 am
@djjd62,
Serious stuff, djjd....
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 07:27 am
currently reading

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/43/TheSomnambulist.jpg/354px-TheSomnambulist.jpg

it's a poorly written debut novel, and other books have done the magic in victorian england theme much better, i'll probably plough through it

it's almost worth the $2 i paid for it in hardcover (gotta love chapters bargain/discontinued books)