What BOOK are you reading right now?

djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:44 am
had to give up on the other book i was reading, just too horribly written, and i've ploughed through some bad books in my time

started this yesterday

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/11350000/11359386.jpg

The first in-depth account of the WWII raid that almost defeated England. Seven months after the Nazi Blitz began in September 1940, London remained the center of the free world's resistance to Hitler's Germany. But-contrary to popular belief-the city's "all-in-together" camaraderie was disintegrating after two devastating Luftwaffe raids. Civil Defenses were chronically short of volunteers and newspapers reported looting, petty crime, and price-gouging. But there was reason for optimism. Churchill remained steadfast, rallying the English. London hadn't been bombed in three weeks, while the RAF shot down 90 German bombers over Britain. It began to appear that the worst could be over. So, when the air raid sirens sounded on the evening of May 10, 1941, Londoners were nonchalant. It soon became clear, however, that this was no ordinary bombing, but a devastating Luftwaffe raid that would eclipse all others.

the book is a first person retelling of the day from survivor interviews, quite enjoyable so far

plainoldme

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 09:32 am
@djjd62,
Sounds interesting. Report on it when you finish.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 08:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I know what you mean and the lure of buying books online. But I have found second-hand copies of books at Amazon or B & N that were amazingly cheap...a dollar or two, maybe $5 with shipping.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 08:46 pm
@Kara,
Yes, I only buy used books online.. but the shipping costs still get me, vs. 99 cents at GoodWill.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:47 am
Buying books: I was in a bookstore several years ago, looking at all the books that interested me. I took out a notebook and started making a list. As the list grew, it occurred to me that I would not be able to read these books quickly, so I decided to simply let books come to me.

I have and it has been fun. My now adult kids recommend books to me or simply pass them on when they are finished with them.

I still haunt used book stores which are more fun than regular stores because the merchandise is so unexpected.

I seldom buy books online, although I have. I bought a book that I had read 50 years ago that was no longer to be found at the local library network.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:02 am
@plainoldme,
I'm reading Bill Bryson's Downunder and loving it.

He's very funny.

He likes my country for the same reasons I love it.

As an outsider, he has noticed how the Aborigines somehow get missed out of discussions, and said so.

He doesn't try to claim that the problem is easily solvable.

I learned a fair bit of stuff I didn't know.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:31 pm
@spikepipsqueak,
I just finished Pursuit by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza, a Brazilian author. I enjoyed it - his detective fiction books are all filled with psychologically puzzling situations.

Now reading Nevada Barr's Flashback. I don't find her as interesting a writer as Garcia-Roza, but usually still enjoy the reading.
2PacksAday

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:33 pm
Always Looking Up...by Michael J Fox.....mostly about his fight against parkinson's.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:48 pm
@spikepipsqueak,
I am not a Bryson fan, I take him as easy, having read a few of his books.

The book that did it for me as a dump was the one with his few-hour trip through Iowa.

I'd like Iowa to get some recompence. Shitty book.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:53 pm
just finishing this off
http://www.thepaddock.ca/tropic.jpg

a wonderful read
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 08:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, have you read A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson? An unusual book. Quite a pleasant time spender. I downloaded it and listened on a long drive. Made the hours pass quickly. I have liked the few of his books I've read. I will now try DownUnder.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 08:13 pm
@djjd62,
I want that one
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 08:16 pm
http://www.davecatlettjr.net/RHBK/Readinglist/Guns_of_August.jpg

I had to read this one again. History as a thrilling page-turner.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 08:19 pm
http://www.mothergreen.com/intel/uploaded_images/RoadDogsCover-737787.jpg

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestsellers-2008/236-1.jpg

I booked these 2 out of the library yesterday
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 06:04 pm
@panzade,
I finished Robert Stone's drug running adventure novel Dog Soldiers.

I am presently listening to Stephen King's latest Under the Dome on audiobook while I work. Though sometimes I have to turn it off when it gets a tad too creepy.

I am also reading the experimental novel The Interrogative Mood: A Novel? by Padgett Powell. It's a novel strictly consisting of questions and nothing else. Quite funny and short at 176 pages.
Seed

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 06:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Tomorrow I am going to open up and start reading "Forgotten Soldiers" "unforgettable tales of real-life heroism" by Brian Moynahan
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 07:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsar, I just started Dog soldiers. Did you like it?
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 07:08 pm
Just finifhed reading Elmore Leonard's The Hot Kid [2005] a few days ago. I’m an Elmore Leonard fan but this, for me, is probably the worst piece of dreck he has ever caused to be published. It’s hard to credit those jacket blurb accolades unless those reviewers were just being polite to a grand old hack. In this book Leonard departs from his usual contemporary setting and has the story take place in Depression-era Oklahoma. Lots of references to Pretty Boy Floyd and Baby Face Nelson and John Dillinger and Bonny and Clyde and the rest of the semi-mythic gangsters who made the era so memorable. The protagonist is a deputy U.S. Marshall, Carlos Huntington Webster, who is known to all as Carl Webster, ’the hot kid’ who’s a kind of throwback to the lawmen of an earlier era -- he reminds you of the Earps and the Hickocks and that ilk. He’ll attempt to arrest bank robbers and similar low-lifes empty-handed, telling them, “If I have to draw my gun, I shoot to kill.” Right. That’s what’s wrong with the book -- it’s corny as hell and there is not a single major character in it who is even remotely life-like and believable. And that’s sad because in books like Get Shorty and Maximum Bob and others, Leonard has shown an uncanny ability to create characters that are true to life. But here he creates not only cut-out pasteboard characters but situations that are so trite and, at the same time, unbelievable that more than the usual willing suspension of disbelief is needed to accept any part of the over-the-top plot. This is one Elmore Leonard book I cannot recommend.
Kara

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 07:09 pm
@panzade,
Panzade, I downloaded this book to my iPod b/c I like Elmore Leonard but haven't started it yet. Tell us if you like it...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 07:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, that last Nevada Barr book was a struggle for me to finish. Two stories bouncing back and forth in one book can, for me, be an annoying format.

On Bryson, some long time ago I enjoyed his book on walking the Appalachian Trail - maybe because I've never done that.
0 Replies