What BOOK are you reading right now?

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 10:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

"DRACULA-the Undead"

a sequel by Dacre Stoker, the great grandson of Bram Stoker.

Its actually pretty good.

The title? A tad too redundant, non?
djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 10:59 am
@tsarstepan,
well that's to distinguish him from all those dead dracula's you read so much about
Seed

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 12:26 pm
@djjd62,
Currently I am working on the second book of the Hitch Hiker's Guide series, after which I will finish book three and four of the series. After that I have a few that are on my list:

"Book of Blues" by Jack Kerovac
"In My Hands memories of a holocaust rescuer" by Irene gut opdyke
"The Edge of the Sea" by Rachel Carson
"Infinity Blues" by Ryan Adams
"Leadership: The warrior's art" by Christopher Kolenda
"Watchmen" by Alan More and Dave Gibbons

djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 12:36 pm
@Seed,
don't forget book 5

1 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
2 The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
3 Life, the Universe and Everything
4 So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
5 Mostly Harmless

and a new book

And Another Thing... written by Eoin Colfer

great books, if you can find the radio adaptations i highly recommend those too (if you can find the ultimately rare vinyl adaptations i also recommend those)

i was a little disappointed in the film
Seed

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 12:42 pm
@djjd62,
I have one book that encompasses all the books. It has in it:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe and Everything
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Young Zaphod Plays It Safe
Mostly Harmless
The last two are short stories from what I can tell.
djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 12:44 pm
@Seed,
the zaphod one is a short story and mostly harmless is the fifth book written by adams

i have that volume as well

Seed

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 12:53 pm
@djjd62,
Yea you said that in the post prior to my last one. Bah. I need to pay more attention lol
djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 12:58 pm
@Seed,
Very Happy
Seed

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 01:25 pm
@djjd62,
I think I am just over-whelmed with all the books that I want to read divided by the time I have to read them....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 01:35 pm
@djjd62,
http://www.cartoonmilitia.com/uploaded_images/everythingsmall-752628.jpg
panzade

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 03:24 pm
@dyslexia,
that's very touching
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 05:18 pm
I just finishe reading "The Story of O".
It was very erotic, but quite well written.
panzade

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:00 pm
@mysteryman,
you're spot on MM. It was very good
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 06:00 pm
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3603/books51743855263346.jpg

Quote:
Go Down Together has it all -- true romance, rebellion against authority, bullets flying, cars crashing, and, in the end, a dramatic death at the hands of a celebrity lawman hired to hunt them down.

Thanks in great part to surviving Barrow and Parker family members and collectors of criminal memorabilia who provided Jeff Guinn with access to never-before-published material, we finally have the real story of Bonnie and Clyde and their troubled times, delivered with cinematic sweep and unprecedented insight by a masterful storyteller.

enjoyable holiday read...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 04:08 pm
On my last trip to the library, I went the simple route and picked up several graphic novels.

Grickle and Further Grickle by Graham Annable[/b];
A small book of pithy and nihilistic comics by Bruce Eric Kaplan titled This is a Bad Tim;

Will be reading Lucky by Gabrielle Bell then I'll tackle Black Hole by Charles Burns (reading that before the adaptation hits the silver screen).
dyslexia

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 04:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Fan Man is a comic novel published in 1974 by the American writer William Kotzwinkle. It is told in the first-person by the narrator, Horse Badorties, a down-at-the-heel hippie living a life of drug-fueled befuddlement in New York City c. 1970. The book is written in a colorful, vernacular "hippie-speak" and tells the story of the main character's hapless attempts to put together a benefit concert featuring his own hand-picked choir of 15-year-old girls. The concert ultimately is a success but true to form Horse is not himself in attendance having mixed up the dates and been diverted elsewhere.

Horse is a somewhat tragic, though historically humorous, character with echoes of other famous drug-addled characters in popular culture such as Reverend Jim Ignatowski of Taxi fame. In his inability to follow anything through to completion he displays symptoms of attention-deficit disorder though this could equally be drug-induced. His defining characteristic is his joy in renting or commandeering apartments which he fills with street-scavenged junk articles until full to bursting he moves on to his next "pad". The name "fan man" is a reference to another of his traits; the collecting of fans of all shapes and sizes.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 04:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
The title? A tad too redundant, non?
I presume that SToker presumed that his readers werent familiar with Dracula I.
ARE YOU NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE CONCEPT OF THE SEQUEL?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 04:50 pm
I See By My Outfit by Peter Beagle
In 1963, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. articulated his dream, JFK was assassinated, and zip codes were first introduced to the US. The world was monumentally changing and changing fast. But in the eyes of future fantasy author Peter Beagle and his best friend Phil, it wasn't changing fast enough. For these two twenty-something beatnik Jews from the Bronx, change was something you chased after night and day across the country on the trembling seat of a motor scooter.
hamburgboy

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 05:12 pm
@dyslexia,
reading " merchants of debt - KKR and the mortgaging of american business " .
this book was published in 1992 and provides great insight into the ongoing current financial problems around the world .

their method : borrow money , buy a profitable company , chop it up and resell it at a profit .. keep repeating over and over again .
eventually their luck ran out ... a bit of jailtime for some ... but the profits had been made and pretty well secured overseas .

btw. KKR now operates from the channel islands - a safer place than the USA when it comes to doing nasty business deals .

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-14981873.html

Quote:
George Anders has been a reporter for the Wall Street Journal for over ten years and covered the spate of leveraged buyouts of the 1980s. His work is an insightful, inside-view of the inner workings of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., a firm which was created in May of 1976 "with just $120,000 of its partners' capital and some tawdry metal furniture left over from the offices' previous tenants."

During the 1980s, KKR completed nearly $60 billion in leveraged buyouts, largely accomplished through heavy borrowing and fueled by the deductibility of interest expense, a practice which clearly favored debt over equity.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 07:37 pm
Got and read an old one by Bill Bryson,"The Lost Continent".

"Its the book Steinbeck would have written had he traveled the country with someone like David Letterman rather than an old poodle named Charlie"