@tsarstepan,
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n12/n61230.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 05:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Recently finished -

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xggDHI6YL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
Death of a Dutchman by Magdalen McNabb - enjoyed it

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OpXjPVp-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg
Buddha's Money by Martin Limon - parts I didn't like, but a view into a culture I know nada about. I think I felt the same way about another one of Limon's books, Slicky Boys

presently reading -
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51nbtwjP9HL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg
Death of a Red Heroine by Qiu Xiaolong - terrific so far.
Skip this if you don't like poetry.

These are all Soho Crime books - which I usually like for the intelligent writing.

I've a whole bunch collected, forty or more. Must get myself in gear to sell them as a group.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 05:42 pm
@ehBeth,
A MAster and Commander fan eh? or is this th first one for you? the series gets really good.
I liked Obriens biography of JosephBanks (the naturalist with Cook, not the suit salesman , that was Joseph E Banks).

the JoBanks book was one of those that Obrien did in his later life. He also did a biography on Picasso , I never read that but I always am telling mysewlf that Im gonna id I can get up the gumption, after reading all the other Picasso Books.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 07:10 pm
@farmerman,
I've read later books of O'Brian. "Discovered" him in an anthology of seafaring adventure stories. I'd never gone back to the beginning (Golden Ocean). I'm certainly enjoying it so far.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 06:30 pm
Currently continuing The Velocity of Honey (Jay Ingram) - everyday science
http://writerscafe.ca/amazon_images/jay-ingram_velocity-of-honey/41V6TD97YPL._SL500_.jpg

The Age of Wonder (Richard Holmes) - science in the romantic era
http://www.erowid.org/general/announce/images/2009_oct/review_295.jpg

and ripping through yet another teens novel called Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature (Robin Brande) - a conservative Christian grrl makes peace with Darwin
http://pintosbeans.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/evolution.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 07:11 pm
Nothing now, been catching up on New Yorkers. I'm overdue for a Good Will store run (I alternate several times of doing that with splurging with Amazon used books).

On the other hand I have some books I've had for years that I haven't dug into yet -

The Mediterranean, Vols. I and II, Fernand Braudel

The Structure of Everyday Life, Braudel
The Perspective of the World, Braudel

A History of Private Life: From Rome to Byzantium (I) Aryes and Duby, editors

and still haven't read Castiglione's The Cortier.

I hanker for the two other books in the Gianrico Carafiglio legal procedural trilogy, having read the first, Involuntary Witness.
http://italian-mysteries.com/GCAap.html

0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:00 pm
@littlek,
littlek, I know the book by Richard Holmes and plan to buy it, but I don't know the other. Tell me something about it.

I'm listening to Steven Hawking's book (the one that is a bit less dense than the original...a shorter description of the universe) as I walk, but I keep running into trees and other objects because it is totally involving. I tried to listen during an 8-hour drive and had to shut it off. I missed exits.
panzade

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:13 pm
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/9351/wwwrandomhousecom.gif

Interesting book, but Bradley smooths over a lot of the conflict he had with Bernard Montgomery, the cantankerous British general.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:14 pm
@Kara,
Kara wrote:
I'm listening to Steven Hawking's book (the one that is a bit less dense than the original...a shorter description of the universe) as I walk, but I keep running into trees and other objects because it is totally involving. I tried to listen during an 8-hour drive and had to shut it off. I missed exits.

Fantastic description, Kara.
msolga

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:25 pm
Reading my first two (ever) Stephen King novels - Lisey's Story & Hearts In Atlantis. (After asking for recommendations for non-horror King novels here, I lost the name of the thread & the tsar's list. Neutral If anyone can point me in the direction of that thread again, I'd be grateful.)
Anyway, there were 3 possible choices currently available at my local library when I visited - these 2 & one extremely BIG one, which didn't seem to be a good idea for my first King read. Right now I'm very caught up with Low Men in Yellow Coats. Intrigued by Ted & wondering where Bobby's relationship with him will lead him.

Also just finished listening to Janette Turner Hospital's Oyster on audio book.
http://www.janetteturnerhospital.com/oyster/index.htm

She's just about my favourite writer these days, but for some reason, after a number of attempts I couldn't get into reading Oyster & decided to listen to it instead. What a story! I became so engrossed, I listened to the last 1/4 in one go ... then was so disturbed by what occurred, I couldn't get to sleep till 5 am. She is just brilliant!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Here it is from wikipedia, Osso. This doesn't do justice to a book that makes you walk into trees and miss exits.

A Briefer History of Time (2005, ISBN 0-553-80436-7) is a popular-science book from the English physicist Stephen Hawking and the American physicist Leonard Mlodinow. It is an update and rewrite of Hawking's 1988 A Brief History of Time. In this book Hawking and Mlodinow try to present quantum mechanics, string theory, the big bang theory, and other topics in a more accessible fashion to the general public. The book is updated with newly discovered topics, and informs of recurring subjects throughout the book in greater detail.

.... The authors address the nature of space and time, the role of a god in creation, and the history and future of the universe.
panzade

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:45 pm
@Kara,
I listened to it on my mp3 player. Very good book
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:41 pm
Kara the Hawking book sounds good! The other book you refer to is the Velocity of Honey? (I listed three).

I'll assume so. It's a collection of short chapters on everyday science. For example, he really does get in depth about the velocity of honey which accounts for the way it falls onto a slice of bread. He also writes about why coffee spills dry with rings on the outside (any solution would do this, but coffee residue is dark and more visible). One of my favorite shorts was on why toast always falls buttered side down. He looks into scientific studies done on the subjects he writes about. And he's very funny.
djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:42 pm
@littlek,
jay ingram is great, he used to be on cbc radio alot in the 80's early 90's
littlek

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 07:18 pm
@djjd62,
Beth had mentioned something like that.
djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 07:20 pm
@littlek,
i've read a couple of his books too, but can't recall the names
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 07:43 pm
@djjd62,
reading " the lyre of orpheus " by robertson davies

davies also wrote " what's bred in the bone " - and many other books and plays

recently picked up about a dozen books for less than $ 10 - they originally were all $19.95 - 39.95 books that went into the remainder section - that's fine with me - i don't need the latest book
Kara

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:40 am
@hamburgboy,
hbb, I read the Deptford trilogy about 20 years ago. I had never heard of Robertson Davies until I looked over a woman's shoulder when at a college basketball game. It was a close game, fast and exciting, but at every timeout, she pulled a book from her pocket and read a few more pages, turning only reluctantly back to the game. I decided I had to get that book, which turned out to be the first in the trilogy, and then read right through all three of them. He was a marvelous writer, very imaginative.

Are you enjoying Lyre of Orheus?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:27 am
"DRACULA-the Undead"

a sequel by Dacre Stoker, the great grandson of Bram Stoker.

Its actually pretty good.

djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:42 am
@farmerman,
i've been looking at that one myself

on my to read pile is this one

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n38/n192422.jpg

INTRODUCTION: When I first heard about “Vlad: The Last Confession”, I thought, “Not again. Just what we need, another novel about the ‘vile deeds’ of Vlad Dracula”. Also known as the Dragon, Vlad Tepes or the Impaler"the great Romanian warlord of the 15th century who dared to confront Mehmed the Conqueror, and almost managed to kill him in the famous Night Attack in 1462.

However, after checking out an excerpt on the author's website, I realized this novel could actually be something special, and immediately ordered a copy. I started reading the book as soon as I received it and was really impressed with “Vlad: The Last Confession” which exceeded my expectations as both an entertaining novel and as a historical reconstruction...

SETTING: In 1481, five years after Dracula's death, when his name became synonymous with terror, depravity and inhuman cruelty, three individuals"the imprisoned Ion Tremblac, Vlad’s former right hand and eventual betrayer; Vlad’s ex-mistress and current monastery abbess Ilona; and the hermit Vasile"are summoned to an isolated mountain fortress to bear witness to Vlad's character and deeds.

From here, the novel follows Vlad Dracula from his days as a young hostage at Sultan Murad's court in Edirne through his tumultuous career as a fugitive, a warlord Prince, a prisoner and a noble in the court of the king of Hungary.

FORMAT/INFO: “Vlad: The Last Confession” is 358 pages long divided over fifty-two titled chapters, four parts, a three-part Prologue, and a superb and unexpected Epilogue. The book also includes a Dramatis Personae of the characters in the book, an Author’s Note, a Bibliography, a Glossary and a Map. Narration is in the third-person following Vlad as seen by the three witnesses mentioned above. “Vlad: The Last Confession” is self-contained. March 5, 2009 marks the UK Hardcover publication of “Vlad: The Last Confession” via Gollancz.

PLOT HINTS AND ANALYSIS: I read tons of Romanian novels that justly remember Vlad as a hero, but due to Saxon & Hungarian-inspired bad press, Tepes’ historical record has been grossly distorted outside of his native country. So “Vlad: The Last Confession” is the first Western novel about the famous historical figure that actually does him justice as a great champion of Christendom, as well as a bringer of peace and prosperity...

The portrait of Vlad as single-minded and willing to go to any lengths in his goal of throwing back the Ottoman tide that seemed poised to engulf Christian Europe is well done and there is no glossing over the terrible cruelties inflicted by the Prince. However, that was a time when people had to be ruthless to survive as one Ottoman character so eloquently put it: “We do it to others, so they cannot do it to us”.

Ion Tremblac as the dedicated companion, right-hand man and later commander of Vlad’s armies, is also drawn very well and his narration, which occupies most of the novel, is very powerful.

Ilona has a smaller part to play overall in the novel, but she is always there for Vlad and her narrative voice is also very well defined. For reasons that will become clear towards the end of the book, the third witness, the hermit Vasile, is not as well drawn, but later turns out to be as important a character as anyone else in the novel.

The Ottoman characters meanwhile, are portrayed with subtlety, none more than Vlad's mentor and later adversary and victim, the (in)famous"at least in Romanian lore"Hamza Pasha. The Sultans, Murad and Mehmet are described accurately and fairly in my opinion, while Radu’s descent into corruption is only hinted at, although the final consequences are shown very clearly.

The recreation of the atmosphere of the times is pitch perfect and the author manages the not inconsiderable feat for a native English speaker of getting most of the Romanian names and expressions right, with only a little mixing of the diphthong “iu” with “ui” as in “Guirgui” for the actual “Giurgiu”. Since my name contains several “iu’s” and I've seen them changed into “ui” countless times across the years, I truly appreciate the mostly successful effort of Mr. Humphreys getting the names right. It's harder for me to evaluate the Turkish names and expressions, but I trust that they are as well done as the Romanian ones.

In the end, “Vlad: The Last Confession” is a superb page-turner from start to finish that offers a captivating look at the true picture of Vlad. Highly, highly recommended. No vampires though...

0 Replies