What BOOK are you reading right now?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 09:42 pm
@farmerman,
Read "Nomura," the book about the investment company founded in Japan in the late 1800s . They became one of the biggest finance companies in the world. Too bad they're not family. LOL
Swimpy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Just started reading "Let the Great World Spin" by Colum McCann. I don't have an opinion yet. Anyone else read it?
msolga

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:47 pm
I think I may just finish Hearts in Atlantis this afternoon, or tonight, after endless frustrating interruptions. I'm really enjoying it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Will be reading Lucky by Gabrielle Bell then I'll tackle Black Hole by Charles Burns (reading that before the adaptation hits the silver screen).

I decided to read Black Hole first. I then promptly returned it after reading 30 pages. I'm not a prude so the explicit sex and drug use and grotesquely surrealistic diseases afflicting the plague victims didn't bother me ... it was how it was just depicted in a very annoying fashion. Too much teenage melodrama for my taste.
Kara

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:58 am
@Swimpy,
Swimpy, that book is top on my list...the reviews are good.
djjd62

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:02 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I decided to read Black Hole first. I then promptly returned it after reading 30 pages. I'm not a prude so the explicit sex and drug use and grotesquely surrealistic diseases afflicting the plague victims didn't bother me ... it was how it was just depicted in a very annoying fashion. Too much teenage melodrama for my taste.

interesting, i quite enjoyed it, but i'm a big fan of burns work, and can quite often overlook the written content of a graphic novel if the art work holds my attention, the ultimate situation is to have both of course
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 11:11 am
@Kara,
I bought it because of the reviews and that the author is Irish. I'm enjoying it so far, but not really that far into it.
djjd62

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 11:32 am
finished this
http://comicrelated.com/graphics/peterandmax.jpg
Set in the imaginative realm of the award-winning comic book series FABLES, PETER and MAX is a stand-alone prose novel - the first ever published starring FABLES characters! Long ago, in the deepest dark of The Black Forest, two brothers - Peter Piper and his older brother Max - encountered ominous forces that changed them both irreparably. Thus begins an epic tale of sibling rivalry, magic, music and revenge that spans medieval times to the present day, when their deadly conflict surfaces in the placid calm of modern day Fabletown. PETER and MAX: A FABLES NOVEL features the deft prose of award-winning comic book writer Bill Willingham and lush ink spot illustrations from FABLES artist Steve Leialoha. The novel also reveals secrets of some of the regular FABLES series cast members including Bigby Wolf, Frau Totenkinder and Bo Peep. Included as well is an 8-page bonus sequential comic story by Willingham and Leialoha that serves as a bridge to the FABLES graphic novel collections.

finishing this
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YhrLAYLQ8So/SblO5lN6LRI/AAAAAAAAIaA/o8o1Nw1rV-g/s400/The+Sad+Tale+of+the+Brothers+Grossbart.jpg

The Sad Tales of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington
In the plague-wracked and devil-haunted darkness of Medieval Europe, an elite few enjoy opulent lives while the majority ekes out a miserable existence in abject poverty. Hungry creatures stalk the deep woods and desolate mountains, and both sea and sky teem with unspeakable horrors. For those ill-fated masses not born into wealth, life is but a vicious trial to be endured before the end of days.

Hegel and Manfried Grossbart, however, couldn’t care less. Being of low birth means little, after all, when the riches of the mighty wait just inside the next crypt.

Embarking on a naïve quest for fortune, the strangely pious, graverobbing twins attempt to keep their faith no matter the consequences. Theirs is a world both familiar and distant; a world of living saints and livelier demons, of beguiling beauties and cruel tragedies, of monsters and madmen. The Brothers Grossbart are about to discover that all legends have their truths, and worse fates than death await those who would take the red road of villainy...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 11:33 am
@Swimpy,
I'm on page 2 of my next Gianrico Carofiglio book, which is the third in the series he wrote. Title, Reasonable Doubt. Looking good already..

http://italian-mysteries.com/GCAap.html

I had order the next two and got this one first. If I get the second book in the mail today maybe I can stop my self from reading them out of order. not that I'm sure that matters in this case.

His bios list him as a judge in Bari, as a prosecutor in Bari, and now as a consultant to the Italian government on organized crime (a job I can imagine conflicts in, heh). Besides all that, I like his writing a great deal, for his descriptive ability, his emotional sense, his style.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 03:29 pm
@Swimpy,
Swimp, I would buy almost any book by an Irish author. They are born story tellers. It is in their DNA.
Swimpy

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:57 pm
@Kara,
I've been looking into my Irish roots recently and this author seemed a good fit for where I am right now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:59 pm
@Kara,
Memories of O'Faolain, I so liked her at the time. As a sort of opposite, I'm a Trevor fan.

Tell us more, Kara.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 04:14 pm
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. It's the first of a trilogy by Stieg Larsson. I got it as a Christmas gift and am enjoying it so much I've ordered the 2nd book and pre-ordered the third.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 04:22 pm
@JPB,
Oh! I've read about him, but not read his books..
JPB

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 04:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, a very interesting story... He died within days of turning the manuscripts over to a publisher.

From wiki

Quote:
At his death, Larsson left the manuscripts of three completed but unpublished novels in a series. He wrote them for his own pleasure after returning home from his job in the evening, making no attempt to get them published until shortly before his death. The first of these novels was published in Sweden in 2005 as Män som hatar kvinnor ("Men who hate women"), published in English as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It was awarded the prestigious Glass Key award as the best Nordic crime novel in 2005. His second novel, Flickan som lekte med elden (The Girl Who Played with Fire), received the Best Swedish Crime Novel Award in 2006. He also left the unfinished manuscript of the fourth novel, and synopses of the fifth and sixth in the series, which was intended to contain an eventual total of ten books.

The primary characters in the Millennium Trilogy series are Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist. Lisbeth is an intelligent, eccentric woman in her 20s with a photographic memory whose social skills are rather poor. Blomkvist is an investigative journalist, a celebrity in his own right.

A television series based on the three completed books is in production by Yellow Bird Films of Ystad. Each book will be covered in two episodes (making a total of six 90-minute episodes). The first two episodes were released as a motion picture in February 2009, while the subsequent episodes will be released directly on DVD in December 2009. The series will be broadcast on Swedish television in 2010.[10]
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 04:31 pm
@JPB,
This is a rare case where I'd like to both read the books and see the movie(s). I tend to like nordic crime writing in general, starting with the old series by maj sjovall and per wahloo, my first experience with such. Those might seem a little ragged to me now, but they were the ones that sparked my interest.

I did read that he had died, but failed to put his books on my so-called wish list.
I found another bunch to add today, listed in the back of the #2 in the trilogy by Gianrico Carofiglio... several names I've never heard of.

Part of why I like these kind of books is the generally good writing, and another part is 'sense of place' - all this besides the usual wanting to know how it all works out.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 11:57 pm
@Kara,
Quote:
Swimp, I would buy almost any book by an Irish author. They are born story tellers. It is in their DNA.

I think you might be right there, Kara.

Could I ask which are your particular favourite authors/books? (yes, I know the list could be extensive.)

Me, I love Jennifer Johnston's writings on aspects of "the troubles" on ordinary people's lives. Not big fat tomes, but beautifully written & so on the ball.
Kara

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 01:05 pm
@msolga,
Working mentally on this, msolga, after Osso asked a few posts ago. I'm recovering from two tranches of family infusion over the hols. Back soon. BTW, everyone in my family has read or is reading Sieig Larssen books. One son refused to wait for the latest one to be published here and paid through the nose to get it from Amazon.co.uk.
the prince

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:20 am
@Kara,
Arabian Nights (again) - I LOVE that book...
Diary of a wimpy kid - it is a kids book but I am SOOOOOOOO enjoying it
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:57 am
@the prince,
Hi prince, I'm going to India again in November for 23-days, but this time it'll be South India starting in Chennai and ending in Mumbai. Have you been in touch with kitchenpete and steve? Been away from London, because of the high cost to visit, but it seems the exchange rate of our currencies may attract more Americans to the UK in the future.