What BOOK are you reading right now?

Kara

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 12:14 pm
@msolga,
msolga, I really enjoyed Life Class. I think Pat Barker is a wonderful writer...can't recall the name of a book she wrote that I read recently but it was an unforgettable story...about WWII.

I read Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible and got to page 1 zillion, near the end, and said...I'm not bothering to read this. The story became inconsistent and a bit weird toward the end...and I realized I found the whole book unrewarding. I have read reviews of the book of her locavore year, and saw a comment that she seemed a bit too self-satisfied and smug...hmmm.
Kara

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 12:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I love your Camus quote...it describes me, too, .although I didn't know that until I read it!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 12:19 pm
@Kara,
I admit to never having read Camus, though a friend, Dyslexia, recommends him. But, I'm an old Cavett fan.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 07:23 pm
@Kara,
Hi Kara - I'm enjoying her style so far, but I'm a much more lateral reader than you are. I like her approach (and her philosophy of science). But I've found reading on the bus makes me sick - but that's another story.
Kara

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 07:41 pm
@hingehead,
What is a lateral reader?
Debacle

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 08:08 pm
@Kara,
Lateral reader? Why, that's a feller who tosses aside a book, init? Wink

Hi, Kara, and well met. I just put up "Driftless" over on the "best book" board.
hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 08:19 pm
@Kara,
I think it was a poor word choice, what I meant was I start at the start, work through the middle and finish with the end - even with books that don't have a linear thread (linear! that's the word I was looking for!) like anthologies of short stories or essays. My little bit of OCD/Asperger's. Makes dictionaries a bugger!
Debacle

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 09:30 pm
@hingehead,
Oops ... sorry for the misplaced pun, hingehead. I wouldn't have interrupted the flow had I but noticed that Kara was replying to your previous post.

Debacle, the unhinged.

Green Witch

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 09:40 pm
@Kara,
[url]I read Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible and got to page 1 zillion, near the end, and said...I'm not bothering to read this. The story became inconsistent and a bit weird toward the end...and I realized I found the whole book unrewarding. I have read reviews of the book of her locavore year, and saw a comment that she seemed a bit too self-satisfied and smug...hmmm.[/url]

I also could not finish Poisonwood. I liked her Animal, Vegetable, Mineral, but agree with littlek that it's preachy. I prefer the locavore church of Michael Pollan.

Just started The Women by TC Boyle. It's about the wives of Frank Lloyd Wright.
msolga

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 09:46 pm
@Kara,
Hey Kara. Good to see you again!

I couldn't agree more about Pat Barker. She's terrific! Are you thinking of The Regeneration Trilogy? Ghost Road? (No hang on, those were WW1!)
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:02 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch, I am actually reading one of Kingsolver's novels right now, Animal Dreams and I have always liked her stuff, maybe not so much for the stories but simply because I enjoy her writing style, much like I like TC Boyle writing style. However, I will give the nod to Boyle for penning a story that holds together better than Kingsolver's.

Let me know how you liked The Women. I haven't read that one yet.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:54 pm
@Debacle,
No pology necessary D - I thought it was pretty funny.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 03:09 am
@hingehead,
Reading The Snow Fox , Susan Fromberg Schaeffer.

Loving it.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 06:37 am
@Debacle,
It depends, Debacle. If you drop the book on the floor in disgust, you might be termed a gravitational reader. A lateral one would have to fling the book sideways.

I hope you put RIL on the list before Driftless...but we may disagree on this?
Kara

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 06:48 am
@hingehead,
Hinge, I do understand that a reader could term himself linear if he read straight through a book of short stories or essays, while I tend to be drawn to one story or essay and read that first. But when I read a novel, I read it from beginning to end...how else would one do it?

I did read Spook differently (it was not a work of fiction, of course) because I wasn't sure I wanted to read the book at all...so I opened it at random, read a bit and was somewhat interested, then opened it at random and discovered the fascinating chapter about the "soul researcher." I went on to read most of the book.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 06:51 am
@Green Witch,
GreenWitch......Michael Pollen...me, too. Did you read his piece in the NYTimes mag a few months ago called "Farmer in Chief"? Profound.

The Women has been reviewed well...I'm going to look for it at the library.
Kara

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 06:52 am
@msolga,
msolga, it was Ghost Road, of course, and Duh...it was indeed WWI. Marvelous book.
farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 09:22 am
Andrew Wyeth, a Secret Life, by Richard Meryman.
Wyeth was a total loon with nothing left in his soul except painting.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:39 am
@Kara,
If anyone wants to read Pollan's NYT article it's on-line:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12policy-t.html
You can also hear some of his talks on Youtube.

I picked up "The Women" at my local library after seeing the review in the Times. I hope to get a good start on it tonight.

Gus, I agree, Boyle is a better storyteller than Kingsolver. Kingslover does put together some good paragraphs and has good ideas, but I think she needs a stronger editor to keep her focused on the point of her tale.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:04 am
@Kara,
I am usually more or less lateral when I'm reading books...
0 Replies