What BOOK are you reading right now?

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 12:51 am
@bermbits,
Are you enjoying it?

It's sitting on my shelves looking at me.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 12:56 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Re: Mr Stillwater (Post 3519966)
Been thinking abut buying that. Love Sachs.

Sacks and drugs and rock'n'roll
Are all my brain and body need
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 12:59 am
Actually, most of the musicians that turn up are either piantists or composers... not one fiddle-player.

Pity. Because if we were to carry on a bit about the book, everyone would say:
"There's too much Sacks and violins on A2K"
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 02:28 am
I crack myself up, yes I do......

Now, this is technically not a book for 'reading', however it was interesting...
http://www.potomacbooksinc.com/images/covers/1574889281_cf150.jpg

This guy has done his homework, and managed to find an incredible number of photographs to illustrate it. If you are not a big fan of Hitler, I'd avoid it - he's in a good half of the illustrations. But, to see things like him feeding a squirrel or exercising his dog or caught out wearing reading-glasses or the personal kitchens and his cook.
djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 06:28 am
@Mr Stillwater,
might have to look for that, i read "the hitler book" a couple of years ago ans quite enjoyed it, if enjoyed is a term that can be used to describe a book about hitler
the book is the dossier that stalin had prepared after interrogating many of hitlers closest confidents after the war, including his personal adjunct
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 07:43 am
this doesn't come out until april, but i think i finally found the classic novel for me

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510XXFxXXGL._SS500_.jpg

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" features the original text of Jane Austen's beloved novel with all-new scenes of bone crunching zombie action.

0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 10:53 am
@Mr Stillwater,
quite a large collection of pictures hitler and his henchmen can be found at :

http://images.google.ca/images?ndsp=20&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enCA233CA233&q=hitler%2Bprivate+photographs&start=0&sa=N

by following the links below the various pictures , one can probably find more than a thousand pictures .

hard to believe , but ... ...

http://www.fpp.co.uk/Hitler/images/children/Bernile_Nienau/Hitler_and_Bernile_2.jpg

btw some people that met hitler claim that he was so mesmerizing that they found it almost impossible to tell him the truth or bring bad news .

albert speer's book gives a good account of personal experiences imo .
it can be found in most public libraries .

Quote:
Inside the Third Reich (Paperback)
by Albert Speer
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 01:54 pm
I picked up the book 'Dewey' from the book store the other day and I am almost to the end. It is about Dewey, the library cat from Spencer, Iowa. It has been good so far, but I am dreading the ending because I know I am going to cry...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 03:41 pm
@Aldistar,
I'm about a quarter of the way through D. H. Lawrence and Italy, from Penguin Travel Library.

I alternate between having to skip some paragraphs or a page or two when he goes off on one of his life philosophy modes and snapping back to attention as he describes people in communities there in the early nineteen hundreds.

So far I'm enjoying it.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:01 pm
Just finished "Sarah's Key" - very moving story about a jewish girl living
in Nazi occupied Paris during WWII.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:25 pm
I'm now reading "Hillary," and it's not about Clinton. he he he... It's "VIEW FROM THE SUMMIT."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:35 pm
I am (still) reading Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Barbara Kingsolver. Also I'm reading a seventh-grade novel called Shakespeare Stealer.
msolga

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:28 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
I am (still) reading Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Barbara Kingsolver.

An interesting read, k? I think it was you who first recommended Kingsolver to me. The title escapes me right this minute (heat affecting memory? Wink), but her "most famous" novel. You know the one!

Me, I'm reading two novels at once: Pat Barker's Life Class, set in the spring of 1914. The main character eventually becomes a volunteer in the Belgian Red Cross in Ypres ... but still early days, not up to that yet. At the moment it's about young students at the Slade school of Art in London. According to the cover blurb:

"An arresting, devastating & intensely visual novel, Life Class is an unforgettable picture of young people learning the ordinary lessons of young adulthood in the midst of exraordinary times."

And the second one, for some relief from the intensity, a ripping yarn: Harlan Coben's Gone For Good ("Betrayal is the oldest crime") Just started this one, too. Very readable.
littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 10:33 pm
@msolga,
MsO - The Poisonwood Bible?

This one is nonfiction. It's about her and her family taking a year to live out of the food industry loop. They pledged to raise as much food (fruit, vegies,a nd meat) as they could and to buy whatever else they needed from suppliers within a hour drive radius. They made too many tomatoes and way to many zucchini.

They also, this I don't get given the theme of the book, drove from VA to Canada on vacation in July and flew to Italy later in the season.

The book is preachy and a bit dry at times, but it is a good read if you're into slow / local food movements.
hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 12:58 am
Spook : Science tackles the afterlife by Mary Roach

I've already found two classic quotes just in the introduction.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 02:54 am
http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/images/uploads/reading/have-a-nice-doomsday_large.jpg

These people are major nutters. Christ himself, as someone not born in the USA or conversant with 'biblical prophecy', wouldn't be able to go to the 'Heaven' these people believe in!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 05:16 am
@littlek,
Quote:
MsO - The Poisonwood Bible?

That's it!

Sounds like you need to be in the right frame of mind for the one you're reading now, k.
In the right frame of mind I think I'd probably enjoy it!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 12:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi Osso, I just finished "Half of a Yellow Sun," an historical novel about Nigeria and the Biafran conflict. She is an excellent writer, and I learned a lot (painlessly) about Nigeria in those years.

Now I'm into "Dreams From my Father," by Barack Obama...well written, interesting.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 12:07 pm
@Kara,
Kara! Lovely to see you.

The Nigeria - Biafra book sounds especially interesting.
Kara

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 12:08 pm
@hingehead,
Hingehead, I really enjoyed Spook...although I read in it sporadically, skipped around, then found the chapter about the guy who is trying to prove or disprove the existence of a soul by measuring (in micro units) whether the body becomes infinitesimally lighter after a "soul" departs. He has spent years in this effort....a fascinating read.