What BOOK are you reading right now?

Clary

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:50 am
Piffka wrote:

Last night I finished Ursula K. Le Guin's Unlocking the Air and Other Stories

I have just ordered it on your recommendation from Amazon! Have you read Orsinian Tales - also by her? Haunting, I found.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 08:53 pm
Did anyone else read the earth-sea series by LeGuin?

I finished the "series of unfortunate events" through book 11. Book 12 won't be out until october!

So.... what next? A book about mars or a disc world story?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:50 pm
Just started Walker Percy's The Moviegoer.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:22 pm
I just read Pictures in the Dark by Gillian Cross. A really good novel, very touching, suspenseful, and I like the overall message.

I also read Timeline by Michael Crighton. I didn't like how it ended, but if you're up for high-paced adventure, this book is for you. It's pretty violent though, so be cautious.

Now I'm going to read Spiggot's Quest by Gary Kilworth. It's book one of the Knights of Liofwende.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:42 am
littlek wrote:
Did anyone else read the earth-sea series by LeGuin?
So.... what next? A book about mars or a disc world story?

Yes, I rate the Earthsea series above Lord of the Rings.

Discworld - well I think I've read them all, and love them dearly. As Terry Pratchett says
The world travels through space on the backs of four elephants that stand on the back of a giant turtle. Don't worry about it. People don't talk about it, any more than we say, "wow, we're standing a few thousand miles above a ball of molten iron!"
Mort is my favourite I think. I love the rough approximation of places on Discworld to ours - The Last Continent (Australia-ish) for example.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:55 am
I'm reading this one I bought in London...

And having fun Laughing

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0593054539.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:57 am
That looks GREAT! And is it true, does it give a real picture of les grenouilles?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 02:04 am
Most of the time, yes.

Sometimes... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:43 pm
Clary - I rented an Earthsea DVD today. I probably won't watch it tonight, but I'll try to remember to let you know how it was.

The T Pratchett book I have is called The Last Continent.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:00 pm
i'm reading "breaking the code - westminster diaries" by giles brandreth for the second time.
i think it's a great book letting you look into how governments work and don't work.
while brandreth didn't make any friends of his conservative compatriots in john major's government, he was highly praised by just about all the british newspapers for giving an insider's view of government.
personally i think it's just a wonderfully entertaining and catty book - i can see that his friends in government have now become "formeer" friends. lots of juicy revelations ! hbg
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:26 am
Adversary - Emmanuel Carrere

it's about Jean-Claude Romand, the fake WHO researcher who killed his wife, 3 kids, parents, and probably father-in-law; horrible & fascinating in equal measure.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:46 pm
I'm reading the newest Lee Child novel "The Enemy." I love his style.

In the wings is the new Prey PB by John Sandford.
0 Replies

Vicki G

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:03 pm
Beneath the Wings of Isis- Hollie Van Horne
It's a vampire/time travel story and I'm not too sure it's worth finishing..
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:39 am
How about something a bit different.

The Koran.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:43 am
Leonardo da Vinci biography.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:05 pm
k- I watched the EarthSea DVDs a few weeks ago. The books probably would be fabulous but, I haven't read them either. Let me know if you do read them what you think.

I'll be finishing up Legendary Connecticut tonight. Filled with some great little interesting tidbits of useless information so, it was good in a historical way and I can always use more useless information. hehe.

I think I'll take a break and read Tami Hoag "Kill The Messenger" before I go onward into other things.

I have a stack to get through before I will allow myself to buy more books (thats what I say at least) and right now it includes "The Screwtap Letters", "Open Net","Clan Of The Cave Bear", Burke's "Heaven's Prisoners" and a few Frances Parkinson Keys plus a couple large volumes I dont even want to think about yet. I should be good for a bit (even longer if I dont follow my own rules).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:45 pm
Quinn - hey! I just finished the earthsea trilogy for the second time. And then read the further readings in the series. I have them if youwant to read them -- they're a quick read. I think there are 5 of them now.
0 Replies

ofekslayer

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:47 am
The last book I read was "Shogun". I started reading it immediately after I saw "The last samurai". I thought it was a great movie, and even a greater book. Basically, it's a triangle love story between an English adventurer, a Japanese warrior, and a woman caught in between them (and their cultures). I thought the book was amazing, and I'm probably the last person on earth who hasn't read it yet.
http://www.fetchbook.info/shogun.html
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 05:07 am
Welcome to A2K, ofekslayer and to this thread. James Clavell's Shogun is a rip-snortin' historical romance, all right. You might be interested to know that one of the main charcters, Toranaga, is loosely based on a historical person -- Tokagawa, the first of the real shoguns. And, on a personal note, what little bit of Japanese I know, I learned from reading Shogun. Smile
0 Replies

Vicki G

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 07:53 am
Cool I'm reading Women Who Love Books Too Much:Bibliophiles, Bluestockings & Prolific Pens from The Algonquin Hotel to the Ya-Ya Sisterhood-Brenda Knight

I'm enjoying this very much, and am finding some women writers I need to investigate.
0 Replies