What BOOK are you reading right now?

plainoldme

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:04 am
Don't you just chuckle every time you encounter the nickname, "The Nutmeg State"?
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:32 pm
I'm reading Orlando by Virginia Woolf. Seems like a good novel, it's main character is very interesting because of his paradoxical being. Has anyone read it?
0 Replies

Mona Lisa

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:05 pm
Brave New World by Aldous Hexley
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:06 am
I haven't read the book Orlando -- I bought it a few years ago, but a former boyfriend insisted on putting my the books in my house in places he thought they should be -- but since it vanished from the book case where I keep novels, I haven't committed myself to finding another copy.

Anyway, I loved the film version, now about 12 or so years old. I even paid full-price to see it in first-run twice!
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:52 pm
I'm re-reading The portrait of Dorian Gray right now. One of my favorite novels.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:53 pm
Just bought four books. I'm reading Ringworld's Children by Larry Niven.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:26 pm
i just bought two books. Couldn't decide between Burried By the Times (Holocaust in the U.S. media) and stuff on India. India won for now.
on my nightstand: Time traveler's wife
Modern South Asia: History, Culture, Political Economy,
V. S. Naipaul; An Area of Darkness: A Discovery of India
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:15 am
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies by Alexander McCall Smith

the sixth book in the series starting with The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

set in Botswana and a happy and gentle read with an insight into another way of thinking.
0 Replies

MusketeerGirl

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:22 pm
The Three Musketeers

~Alexandre Dumas.

What else? Laughing
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:06 pm
All The Presidents Men

and

Stephen Kingss Dark Tower II - The Drawing of the Three

and

A Kiss of Shadows
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:49 pm
Vivien wrote:
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies by Alexander McCall Smith

the sixth book in the series starting with The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

set in Botswana and a happy and gentle read with an insight into another way of thinking.

I read that a few weeks ago, Vivien. Love that series. I feel so pleased with people while I'm in the midst of McCall Smith book. I swear that Botswanian kindness is catching.

Last night I finished Ursula K. Le Guin's Unlocking the Air and Other Stories... strange, most of them, but I like her ideas. One of those stories, Ether, OR, reminded me of Einstein's Dreams while another was a modern day story of Persephone.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:02 am
http://www.annemustoe.co.uk/Index.htm

Hey Piff, have you heard of this lady? She's a knockout- I heard her on the radio.
I have not got her book yet, but it's a must.
No pun intended.
McTag x
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:34 am
Thanks, McT. I think it's a must...too. <grin, groan>

I've printed out her webpage & may see if she's ever coming to this area. We'd sign her up for a program.

The Amber Road ride sounded like it might be superb... some of the others might be a little bit hot. How brave she is, but maybe women of a certain age (that one) don't have so much to fear.
0 Replies

huma7

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:30 am
I am currently reading 'The Green Mile' by Steven King after watching the excellent film starring Tom Hanks. So far the book is exactly like the film, but by the end of reading it I am not sure whether I will prefer the book or the film.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:32 am
i've seen that film- its great- but i don't think i'd like the book as horror books aren't my thing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:52 pm
huma7 -- welcome to A2k Smile
i thought both the serial and the film were excellent...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:45 am
The Green Mile is the only King novel I ever read. It's a wonderful book and there is nothing of horror in it. I have often thought it might be fun to do a graduate paper on King: most of his books deal with being in prison, whether it is the actual prison of The Green Mile and the Shawshank Redemption or the other prisons, such as over strict parents or sexual abuse or lack of popularity.

King fans! What do you think?
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:06 pm
I have just started the first book in the original Dune series by Frank Herbert. I have found it interesting so far and my fiancee has been bugging me for a year to read it.
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:25 am
Currently, I'm reading "Eats, Shites and Leaves" (excuse the language). It's a parody of the book Eats, Shoots and Leaves, and it is fantastic. Pick it up if you can!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:30 am
Last Chance Saloon, Marion Keyes, an Irish romp with a bit of a Mills and Boony mushy bit. Good chick's book.
0 Replies