Osso, Ferkakta means shitty.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 06:06 am
'Ferkakta' is in German "ferkelig".
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 06:14 am
Interesting, Walter. But I doubt that the two words are cognate to each other. The etymology of 'ferkakta' seems to stem from the word 'kaka', a semi-slangy term for human excrement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:02 am
Oy ! ! !

You kiss your mother with that mouth ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:10 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Interesting, Walter. But I doubt that the two words are cognate to each other. The etymology of 'ferkakta' seems to stem from the word 'kaka', a semi-slangy term for human excrement.

So it's the German "Kacke" combined with "ferkel" (piglets) - I thought so Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:12 am
Setanta, You talking to me? A person has to explain. A person has to define. A person can't be responsible for what another person asks. If you're not talking to me, then never mind. I always thought you were a nice boy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:15 am
Roberta wrote:
I always thought you were a nice boy.

eBeth got a good chuckle outta that one . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:17 am
Aha Walter....From this I understand. Since pigs are trayif, (not kosher) what comes out of them is super trayif. So dollink, if I say that something is farkockte, you should believe that it is terrible!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:23 am
I just realized that my Yiddish accent is affected by my New York accent. You guys say ferkokta. I say fuhkokta. Fuhblungit. I thought that was how these words were pronounced. Live and loin.

Let's not forget the expression--alte koka, known in these parts as an AK. Never thought I'd become one of them. Oy. Life is no picnic, I'm telling you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:31 am
Picnics, I tell you, are no picnics - what with the European wasps, and the ants, and the flies!!!! Stay at home already!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:35 am
You're right, Deb. Eating should be done inside with a nice table cloth and real dishes. Who wants to eat on the ground with the bugs. God knows what might land in your food. Or crawl up your leg. Who knows what could happen to the mayonnaise in the heat. Better you should eat inside like a mensch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:03 am
Such a learning environment A2K is, I don't need books. Just ask already.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:07 am
Roberta- The accent also has to do with whether your ancestors were Litvaks or Galitzianers. I was a half breed, and my father used to tease my mother about it all the time! Laughing

Quote:
For those more historically inclined, the cards serve up the Ashkenazi version of the Hatfields and McCoys. The rift occurred between the Litvaks of Lithuania, who put a supreme value on study and logic, and the Galitzianers of Poland, who focused more on prayer and emotions.
Since the Litvaks viewed the Galitzianers as "irrational and uneducated" and the Galitzianers viewed the Litvaks as "cold fish," the card states that it was impossible for a Litvak to be married to a Galitzianer.

http://www.jewishsf.com/bk000519/ebyiddish.shtml
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:53 pm
Litvaks. My maternal grandpa was from Lithuania. Not sure about my father's side of the family. But my mother and father did not always understand each other when they spoke Yiddish. My father's family did a lot of moving around in Europe. They came here from Latvia.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 06:49 pm
Landsman!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 08:38 pm
Walter is most likely correct about the origin. Yiddish descends from German, although not considered a true dialect, as far as I know.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 12:21 am
Yup, MA. Landsman. My father's family is from Riga.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:24 am
Cav, you didn't notice the smiley at the end of Walter's last post? A joke he was making. He knows full well that the prefix for 'ferkakta' in German would be ver- (pronounced fer-), not ferkel. a word altogether of a different derivation. It's to lach.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:47 am
What can I say, I don't speak a lick of German Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 05:46 am
And you thought your mother was bad....the sound clips are hilarious:

http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1268160.html
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Hebonics
  3. » Page 7
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 01:14:52