ARE WE ENDOWED WITH CERTAIN UNALIENABLE RIGHTS?

Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:40 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Rights increase our chances of survival. It is a survival mechanism in human society.

True, but this is a reason why rights do exist. To argue that this is a reason why rights should exist, you must first show why survival of human societies is a good thing in the first place -- and you must do so without assuming that survival is a natural right.

Craven de Kere wrote:
I now believe you have an even worse understanding of logic than I had previously thought.

I appreciate your sneering. People who sneer usually don't have much confidence in their own arguments.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:41 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Thomas,

You are making very little sense. Just because someone thinks rights are not inherent does not mean one believes that no rights should exist.

And frankly you don't seem to comprehend the first thing about logic.

This is extremely unfair, Craven. As far as I can see, Thomas is on the right track. I also mentioned that one of the implications of a societal rights position is that, ultimately, any talk of "rights" becomes meaningless. But then perhaps I too don't comprehend the first thing about logic.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:00 am
Thomas wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Rights increase our chances of survival. It is a survival mechanism in human society.

True, but this is a reason why rights do exist. To argue that this is a reason why rights should exist, you must first show why survival of human societies is a good thing in the first place -- and you must do so without assuming that survival is a natural right.

I most certainly do not have to illustrate why the human race SHOULD survive. We want to survive and the discussion about rights is a dicussion about what humans should or should not do. Not whether we should exist at all.

You did not ask me to logically defend our existence. The bottom line is that we want to survive and rights are a logical means to help ensure that.

Again, you do not understand basic logic. We have a goal: to survive. Rights are logical toward that goal.

Whether we SHOULD want to survive or not is moot to the logical implication of what humans should or should not do.

Thomas wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
I now believe you have an even worse understanding of logic than I had previously thought.

I appreciate your sneering. People who sneer usually don't have much confidence in their own arguments.

It's can also mean they are discussing something with someone who is exhibiting such foolishness that it's hard to take them seriously. If you wish to smugly take it as a compliment do so. It was not intended that way.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:01 am
joefromchicago wrote:
This is extremely unfair, Craven. As far as I can see, Thomas is on the right track. I also mentioned that one of the implications of a societal rights position is that, ultimately, any talk of "rights" becomes meaningless. But then perhaps I too don't comprehend the first thing about logic.

Perhaps, I have not followed your arguments herein.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:25 am
I am in substantial agreement with Craven on his argument that "rights" seem more logically to be a product of what humans "want" or as I put it "demand" -- as opposed to any inherent right to anything - and more specifically, to any rights that are endowed upon us by gods or nature.

Truly, I do not see how the difference in perspectives on this issue can be resolved.

I think it is quite obvious that neither side can "prove" their side to be correct.

I do think the side that Craven and I are arguing is in a one-up position in this discussion, though.

All of the rights that can presently be identified as rights (without conjecture) are rights that have been conferred by law.

We can say that governments conferred them by law because the right already existed inherently - but that is not an observable event.

The laws that do confer them - are observable. They are tangible.

The people who wrote our Declaration of Independence asserted that we have rights (sp. to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness) endowed on us by a Creator - and that the truth of that assertion is "self-evident."

I have tried to look at this from every possible perspective - and I simply cannot see any of this as self-evident - and I suspect they simply invented that notion. I see no reason to assume any of the rights we have - including those particular ones - are endowed on us by a "Creator" - and I suspect they simply invented that notion. They even made those self-evident, Creator endowed rights - inalienable rights - which I know to be a notion they simply invented or borrowed.

We also have people who are arguing that it is self-evident that nature has endowed us with certain rights. I see no evidence of that - nor do I see any arguments that persuade me in that direction.

I understand that good, intelligent, well-intentioned people can disagree - and apparently can see all the things I claim not to be able to see - but where does that leave us?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:27 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Piece of cake. Rights exist simply because each human that has ever existed has had the desire for rights. The desire we have had is also so great so as to be nearly impossible to divest us of it. Without being inherent they are unavoidable.

Then are you suggesting that the desire for rights is inherent? And if everyone has the same basic desire for rights, does that mean that they all desire the same rights?

Craven de Kere wrote:
Therefore the lack of rights would be an almost impossible circumstance.

Certainly not. If all rights proceed from society (as is posited by the societal rights theory), then presumably society could decide to issue no rights just as easily as it could issue some rights or all rights. Or are you suggesting, Craven, that some rights are, in certain sense, an absolute minimum that all persons have, regardless of society's decisions?

Craven de Kere wrote:

More so than anything else? If society learned that some other mechanism, besides "rights," was more efficacious in guaranteeing our chances of survival, would that society be justified in nullifying all rights?

Craven de Kere wrote:
There are a host of other logical defenses I now believe you have an even worse understanding of logic than I had previously thought.

You're suggesting that your defenses are logical? I think you give yourself too much credit.

Thomas wrote:

I believe this is correct. Defending a notion of "rights" as a survival mechanism, and then making the leap to the notion that we should have rights, is simply confusing "is" and "ought," something that David Hume pointed out as a logical fallacy over 200 years ago. Your factual foundation is dubious, Craven, but your logical foundation is hopelessly flawed.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:40 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Piece of cake. Rights exist simply because each human that has ever existed has had the desire for rights. The desire we have had is also so great so as to be nearly impossible to divest us of it. Without being inherent they are unavoidable.

Then are you suggesting that the desire for rights is inherent? And if everyone has the same basic desire for rights, does that mean that they all desire the same rights?

No, what you ask makes no sense. It would be like saying:

"Everyone wants something so everyone wants the same thing."

No, and that contradicts the most basic elements of logic.

joefromchicago wrote:

Certainly not. If all rights proceed from society (as is posited by the societal rights theory), then presumably society could decide to issue no rights just as easily as it could issue some rights or all rights. Or are you suggesting, Craven, that some rights are, in certain sense, an absolute minimum that all persons have, regardless of society's decisions?

No. What I'm saying is that it is unlikely and so much so that it nears impossibility, for mankind on the whole to divest themselves of all rights.

Sure, it's possible for all of mankind to decide they want no rights, just as it is possible for all of mankind to decide they want no clothes. I am simply suggesting that both situations are unlikely.

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

More so than anything else? If society learned that some other mechanism, besides "rights," was more efficacious in guaranteeing our chances of survival, would that society be justified in nullifying all rights?

I made no comment on what is "justified". You are trying to introduce a value laden word into the argument that I have not dealt with. There already are ways to secure your individual survival that are more effective than rights. Some rights interefere with our survival but secure other things we like (such as freedom). Societies make their decisions based on what they want.
joefromchicago wrote:

Craven de Kere wrote:
There are a host of other logical defenses I now believe you have an even worse understanding of logic than I had previously thought.

You're suggesting that your defenses are logical? I think you give yourself too much credit.

Since you are disagreeing with me it's obvious that you'd want to think that. It does not make your agument logical. I do not expect you to take my word for anything. Illustrate that I'm wrong.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I believe this is correct. Defending a notion of "rights" as a survival mechanism, and then making the leap to the notion that we should have rights, is simply confusing "is" and "ought," something that David Hume pointed out as a logical fallacy over 200 years ago. Your factual foundation is dubious, Craven, but your logical foundation is hopelessly flawed.

joe, you make silly traps for yourself.

a wants B

x is a logical means to acheive B.

Whether it is logical to even want B or not has no implication on whether it is logical to use x to acheive B.

Your logic is flawed, very much so. But not hopeless. "Hopelessly flawed" is a silly rhetorical ploy. Use it as icing. Focus on making a cood cake first.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:01 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I most certainly do not have to illustrate why the human race SHOULD survive.

No. You have to illustrate why the makers of laws and customs SHOULD respect the human race's wish to do so. If you choose to treat that as an axiom in your system of ethical deduction, that's fine with me. And I would view this as an alternative way of saying that the right not to be killed is a natural one. As Joe says, you're the one deriving an 'ought' from an 'is' in a logically unsound way here!

Craven de Kere wrote:
It's can also mean they are discussing something with someone who is exhibiting such foolishness that it's hard to take them seriously.

There you go again .... more sneering at the person, more insecurity revealed about the qualtiy of your argument. Go ahead, sneer again -- you're making my day over here! Laughing

-- Thomas
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:26 pm
Thomas wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
I most certainly do not have to illustrate why the human race SHOULD survive.

No. You have to illustrate why the makers of laws and customs SHOULD respect the human race's wish to do so. If you choose to treat that as an axiom in your system of ethical deduction, that's fine with me. And I would view this as an alternative way of saying that the right not to be killed is a natural one. As Joe says, you're the one deriving an 'ought' from an 'is' in a logically unsound way here!

Thomas, it's simple logic. We want to increase our collective chance for survival. One logical way to do so are by establishing certain rights.

Whether or not it's logical to want to survive is moot to the logic of acieving our goal through a certain means. But that can easily be argued logically as well. I am not "deriving an 'ought' from an 'is' " at all. I am deriving an ought from an ought and stupid arguments are being made trying to question the 'is'.

Again, if x is the goal and y is a logical way to achieve x then whether x is or is not justified as a goal does not change whether y is a logical means to achieve x.

Incidentally arguing that the x (desiring survival) is logical is a piece of cake. It simply is not relevant to whether y is logical or not.

Thomas wrote:

There you go again .... more sneering at the person, more insecurity revealed about the qualtiy of your argument. Go ahead, sneer again -- you're making my day over here! Laughing

-- Thomas

Fair is fair. When you are smug and try to sneer it makes me laugh too. That you think my snide sneering is while yours isn't also is an ironic laugh or two. But I'd be happier if you could argue logically about this. I like to learn. Poking fun at stupidity isn't half as interesting. I do however pity the fact that you have to make up insecurities. Might that be indicative of an insecurity or two?

Thomas, the rhetoric is icing. We can exchange barbs all day long and not make a point. Make your cake. Thus far all you ahve done is say that even though 1+1=2 if you add another 1 it won't. No duh.

I'd really rather not see you reduced to sneering about my sneering. Make a cake. The icing is just for fun.

If collective survival is the goal, and rights are a logical means to collective survival then whether it's logical or not to want to survive does not change the fact that rights are a logical means to help ensure collective survival.

Argue that. The insecure laughs don't change anything.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:48 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
No, what you ask makes no sense. It would be like saying: "Everyone wants something so everyone wants the same thing." No, and that contradicts the most basic elements of logic.

Well, I'm not exactly sure how that contradicts the most basic elements of logic, but then it wasn't my position to begin with. I merely ask these questions to get a better sense of what you are trying to say.

Craven de Kere wrote:
No. What I'm saying is that it is unlikely and so much so that it nears impossibility, for mankind on the whole to divest themselves of all rights.

Why is that? As you yourself suggested, the only reason to adopt rights in the first place is because they are an efficient survival mechanism. Presumably, society only maintains those rights because they remain viable as means of survival. And our understanding of this connection between rights and survival is premised on an inductive connection. So, in effect, your estimate concerning the "near impossibility" of jettisoning all rights is based solely on the conditions that obtained in the past -- up to and including today. But, as Hume demonstrated, inductive proofs are not logically valid, and can never give us assurances of future outcomes. Are you, therefore, willing to predict that those conditions will obtain forever? Because if you're not, then you cannot make a prediction about the "near impossibility" of divesting rights beyond today.

Craven de Kere wrote:
I made no comment on what is "justified". You are trying to introduce a value laden word into the argument that I have not dealt with. There already are ways to secure your individual survival that are more effective than rights. Some rights interefere with our survival but secure other things we like (such as freedom). Societies make their decisions based on what they want.

If there are other "ways to secure your individual survival that are more effective than rights," then why aren't those things "rights"? For instance, if clothing is more efficacious in guaranteeing our survival than freedom of speech, why isn't there a "right" to clothing?

Craven de Kere wrote:
Since you are disagreeing with me it's obvious that you'd want to think that. It does not make your agument logical. I do not expect you to take my word for anything. Illustrate that I'm wrong.

I'm still trying to figure out what your position is, Craven. I wouldn't presume to say that your position is wrong until I had some understanding of your position. And I would add that this notion of rights as a survival mechanism has, to my knowledge, never been proposed by anyone before. So you must be patient with me; I am learning as I go.

Craven de Kere wrote:
joe, you make silly traps for yourself.

a wants B

x is a logical means to acheive B.

Whether it is logical to even want B or not has no implication on whether it is logical to use x to acheive B.

Your example does not represent your position accurately. You stated: "Now as to why right SHOULD exist it's elementary and makes it hard for me to write this without being far more rude. Rights increase our chances of survival. It is a survival mechanism in human society." In other words, we have rights because they increase our chances of survival, and we should have rights because they increase our chances of survival. It is not: "a wants B, x is a logical means to achieve B" (you omitted a conclusion to this quasi-syllogism, but never mind). Rather, it is: a wants b, therefore a should have b. That's equivalent to saying: "I want chocolate cake, therefore I should have chocolate cake." That, I submit, is simply deriving an "ought" from an "is," which is a classic logical fallacy.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Your logic is flawed, very much so. But not hopeless. "Hopelessly flawed" is a silly rhetorical ploy. Use it as icing. Focus on making a cood cake first.

I'll stick with chocolate cake, thank you.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:20 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
If collective survival is the goal, and rights are a logical means to collective survival then whether it's logical or not to want to survive does not change the fact that rights are a logical means to help ensure collective survival.

But for the purpose of this thread, I don't agree that collective survival is the goal! Why would it be? Please remember that this sub-thread emerged after I challenged you to argue why people should have the right not to be killed. That was an 'ought' question. You answered that this right exists because it helps ensure humanity's survival, which is a (correct) 'is' statement. But however correct it is, it doesn't answer my 'ought' question -- just because rights do help humanity survive, it doesn't follow that we ought to have them. As a matter of pure logic, it ain't necessarily so. I won't accept unconditionally your premise that collective survival is the goal. You'll either have to explain that, or admit that this is an axiom in your system of ethics.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:41 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
I do think the side that Craven and I are arguing is in a one-up position in this discussion, though.

You are far too optimistic, Frank.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:06 pm
Joe,

First of all let me thank you for a much better effort than Thomas'. I am sincere when I say I appreciate it (even though I will, as usual, sneer). ;-)

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
No, what you ask makes no sense. It would be like saying: "Everyone wants something so everyone wants the same thing." No, and that contradicts the most basic elements of logic.

Well, I'm not exactly sure how that contradicts the most basic elements of logic, but then it wasn't my position to begin with. I merely ask these questions to get a better sense of what you are trying to say.

It's probably not in the best interests to take a logical leap of faith in my name.

I did not say that everyone shares the same desires.

joefromchicago wrote:

Craven de Kere wrote:

Why is that? As you yourself suggested, the only reason to adopt rights in the first place is because they are an efficient survival mechanism.

Joe, please read what I say if you are going to comment on it. I did not say that the only reason rights exist are as a survival mechanism. There are many reasons rights are created and as I mentioned some go directly against the survival factor.

joefromchicago wrote:
Presumably, society only maintains those rights because they remain viable as means of survival.

No, like I said earlier survival is just one reason.

joefromchicago wrote:
Are you, therefore, willing to predict that those conditions will obtain forever? Because if you're not, then you cannot make a prediction about the "near impossibility" of divesting rights beyond today.

Are you willing to read what I said and respond to that instead of what you think I said? I never said survival is the sole reason for us wanting and creating rights.

joefromchicago wrote:

If there are other "ways to secure your individual survival that are more effective than rights," then why aren't those things "rights"? For instance, if clothing is more efficacious in guaranteeing our survival than freedom of speech, why isn't there a "right" to clothing?

Again you break the most simple rules of logic.

right to clothing != clothing

Killing everone that can possibly threaten your survival might be a way to secure your survival. That doesn't make it a right. It can be made a right. But there is no automatic connection.

When I keep saying you ignore the most basic elements of logic it's often these connections you make. They are indeed related, this does not make the link automatic for other purposes.

To use language to make it clearer how is this: it is possible to increase ones chances of survival by denying the rights of others.

That should clearly illustrate that not all methods of survival are rights.

I do see where you were taking it and if you get abstract enough it's possible to defend for a long while. The comeback to my argument would be "but can't taking away righst be a right?"

But there is an end to that road. If you want to take us there I'll go allong. It will be tedious and ultimately pointless though. If we go I'll show ya.

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out what your position is, Craven. I wouldn't presume to say that your position is wrong until I had some understanding of your position. And I would add that this notion of rights as a survival mechanism has, to my knowledge, never been proposed by anyone before. So you must be patient with me; I am learning as I go.

Then why did you claim logical flaw? I want to know what the flaw is. That's how I learn.

joefromchicago wrote:

Craven de Kere wrote:

Your example does not represent your position accurately.

Actually it does. The example IS my position. See, we can go on in endless loops. We can ask if it's logical to want to survive (easy to argue) but then we'll get into silly arguments about whether it is "logical" to exist at all.

No, it's not logical for us to exist. That is not determined by logic or thought at all.

joefromchicago wrote:
In other words, we have rights because they increase our chances of survival, and we should have rights because they increase our chances of survival.

Nope, I get where you misunderstand me.

We have rights because we create them. We create them because we want (or as Frank says, demand) them.

ONE logical reason we demand certain rights is because of the collective survival issue.

joefromchicago wrote:
It is not: "a wants B, x is a logical means to achieve B" (you omitted a conclusion to this quasi-syllogism, but never mind). Rather, it is: a wants b, therefore a should have b. That's equivalent to saying: "I want chocolate cake, therefore I should have chocolate cake." That, I submit, is simply deriving an "ought" from an "is," which is a classic logical fallacy.

It is, indeed, a classic fallacy and not one I'd use.

I never said that we should have a because we want a. I said that if x is a logical way to get a then the logic of that measure is not affected by the evaluation on the logic of wanting a in the first place.

I do get the greater point you are alluding to. If what's desired is illogical then you seek to portray logical means to an illogical goal as illogical.

But I'm not with you in that the goal is illogical. I think it IS logical. I simply don't defend it because until now Thomas and yourself have never articulated your qualm with the proposed logic in a way that would make this relevant.

So this is where we were:

Tommy wants a yellow submarine. Taking his existing submarine and painting it with his existing yellow paint is indeed a logical means to acheive his goal.

You are asking "what if the desire for the yellow submarine is not logical".

My answer is that first of all it makes no difference to the logical evaluation of the means. What it suggests is a greater logic. A greater goal.

For example, if Tommy was told by his mother to get a Blue submarine and was going to be punished if this was not achieved then it's possible to argue that tommy;s entire pursuit is illogical. But that is contingient on criteria.

One possible criteria is to decide what he ultimately wants. Right now it's a yellow submarine but maybe what he wants even more is not to be punished.

Therefore his desire is a logical contradiction of his greater desire.

In that I am willing to agree. But I do not hold this to be the case in my micro or macro.

I do not think that existence can be deemed logical or not. It's like asking whether the sun is logical. Logic implies ratioconation. Existence frequently has nothing to do with ratiocination.

So what I am hinting at (we can walk the road to the end if you want) is that ultimately you will run into random factors that are not influenced by logic simply because they are not influenced by thought.

Is a rock's existence logical to the rock? It might not have a logical existence to YOU in your shoe but in and of itself it is neither logical or illogical.

P.S. I do think the desire to survive is logical. It involves thought. We can take it to that step but I'm trying to illustrate that the stairs are finite. at some point we will not be talking about ratiocination and will therefore not be using the word "logic" in an applicable setting.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:18 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

You are far too optimistic, Frank.

I am optimistic, Joe. That is in my nature. But I doubt I am far too optimistic -- whatever that means.

Our side definitely is one up -- insofar as all supposed rights we have -- we have because of demand, desire, and laws. That we can see!

I defy you to show one right we have that we have because some god gave it to us -- or because nature gave it to us.

It is possible that there is a GOD -- and that the GOD has given us "rights", but the only way we get to that is through conjecture.

No conjecture needed to show we Americans, for instance, have some of the "rights" we have.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:37 pm
Thomas wrote:

Please remember that this sub-thread emerged after I challenged you to argue why people should have the right not to be killed.

Thomas will you please read your own writing correctly? See below.

Thomas, you yourself wrote:

...I claimed that, as a matter of principle, it is virtuous to kill as many people as possible, and that the victims had no right whatsoever to complain about it, would you say there is no rational way of refuting this opinion? I agree this position is correct as an excercise in formal logic, but I also think it's quite pointless.

I disagreed. You were not being logical at all. You said there is "no rational way of refuting this opinion" when there clearly is (logical use of rights to enure collective, read: your own, survival). It's applicability is contingient on desire but there is indeed a (at least) way to defend rights logically.

You go on to say that you think the illogical position is both correct (logically) and pointless.

So I challenged this brainfart. It is simply quite obviously 'holey'.

Then you move on to ask why rights should exist if they are not inherent. Now we are on a whole different subject but you are still smarting about the brainfart so you are still playing D.

I answered that rights should exist because they are a logical means to achieve our goals. I gave you a simple example (because I'm big on rhetoric and examples used for flourish) and cited collective survival, which was not the be all end all, it's just one example.

You did not ask why we should want to survive. You asked why we should have rights.

I answered with one simple example and to backpedal you are now asking why we should survive. You were wrong in that you claimed that there is "no rational way of refuting" the position that individuals should be allowed to kill each other.

I demonstrated that you were wrong. There is a rational argument against this position.

For the individual who does not wish to live there might not be logic in ensuring survival. But for the rest of us who wnat to live ensuring the collective survival through righst is a way to ensure our own.

Remember the anecdotes about "when they came for me"?

THAT is why there is a logical explanation for the existence of rights.

So you did not ask why we should want to survive. You asked why we should have rights. I answred that one reason we should have rights is if we want to achieve, as a goal, our survival.

Asking whether we should want to survive has no bearing on whether rights are a logical means to secure our goals. But to be nice I will answer that as well.

If you don't want to exist you shouldn't. I want to. My goal is to survive and I will take logical steps to achieve that goal.

If you are arguing that this is a desire you do not share then so be it. But you are trying to frame it in terms of logic.

Let me tidy up your own argument before I answer it:

Why is it logical to want to survive? There are many reasons. You might be trying to get me onto instinct but that is not the only (though it's big) reason. Logic is the realm of thought. When we make rational decisions about our desires it can be logical or not.

I want to survive for many reasons. I don't want those who care about me to be sad. I want to see and do things and people that I haven't yet done. I could go on forever..

A father might logically want to exist because the existence of his offsping depends on it. etc etc.

You can keep asking questions and ultimately you are going to be heading toward this question:

"is it logical to exist at all?"

My answer: show me the thought and I'll show you the logic or the absence. Logic does not exist in a void of thoughtlessness.

A rock can't be illogical. It's existence can be, but not to the rock. To some other cognizant entity.

Thomas wrote:

That was an 'ought' question. You answered that this right exists because it helps ensure humanity's survival, which is a (correct) 'is' statement. But however correct it is, it doesn't answer my 'ought' question -- just because rights do help humanity survive, it doesn't follow that we ought to have them.

It's really simple Thomas. It's a logical means to our goal. If your goal is individual survival in many ways rights for collective survival will help you. If your question is whether it's logical to want to survive then I have answered it above. It depends. I want to survive. The guy who's under a truck, bleeding and in pain might not want to. We'd use different logic to reach our conclusions based on different criteria.

I am not here to tell you what each individual should want and why it's logical. The fact is that most want to survive for both logical reasons and reasons not involving thought or logic. For this collective goal of survival rights are a logical tool.

Thomas wrote:
As a matter of pure logic, it ain't necessarily so. I won't accept unconditionally your premise that collective survival is the goal. You'll either have to explain that, or admit that this is an axiom in your system of ethics.

I did explain it but it is not an axiom. If this is ultimately about you being wrong about there being no rational argument against savagery I'll save us both the time and not bring it up again if that is what you wish.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 03:28 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Then how can everyone share the same rights, if rights are the product of the desire for rights? Or are you suggesting that everyone has a different set of rights, depending upon their various desires?

Craven de Kere wrote:
[Joe, please read what I say if you are going to comment on it. I did not say that the only reason rights exist are as a survival mechanism. There are many reasons rights are created and as I mentioned some go directly against the survival factor.

Well, I did read what you wrote, Craven, although I'm quite willing to concede that I didn't understand what you were trying to say.

Initially, you wrote: "Rights exist simply because each human that has ever existed has had the desire for rights." You later wrote: "We have a goal: to survive. Rights are logical toward that goal." I'm not exactly sure these two statements can be reconciled, except to posit a connection between the "desire for rights" and "the goal of survival." Perhaps it can be done in this fashion:
1. People have a goal of survival.
2. People desire the means to attain that goal.
3. Rights are a means to that goal.
4. Therefore, people desire rights.

Is that what you're trying to get at?

Craven de Kere wrote:

Well, this is confusing. If societal rights are based on a societal goal (i.e. survival) and on something else (still unidentified), then how can we evaluate what qualifies as a "right" and what doesn't? If something does not advance the goal of survival, but does advance some other societal goal, can that something be a "right"?

Craven de Kere wrote:

No. I merely asked a question. Your response did not address the question, so I'll pose it again: If there are other "ways to secure your individual survival that are more effective than rights," then why aren't those things "rights"? For instance, if clothing is more efficacious in guaranteeing our survival than freedom of speech, why isn't there a "right" to clothing?

Craven de Kere wrote:
Killing everone that can possibly threaten your survival might be a way to secure your survival. That doesn't make it a right. It can be made a right. But there is no automatic connection.

Then what is the connection?

Craven de Kere wrote:
To use language to make it clearer how is this: it is possible to increase ones chances of survival by denying the rights of others.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Are you saying that the goal of survival, in some sense, trumps rights?

Craven de Kere wrote:

And, as you pointed out above, not all rights are means to the end of survival. So what exactly are these things you call "rights," which are sometimes consistent with, and sometimes antithetical to, survival? And how do we know one when we see one?

Craven de Kere wrote:
I do see where you were taking it and if you get abstract enough it's possible to defend for a long while. The comeback to my argument would be "but can't taking away righst be a right?"

We're still very far from that point.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Then why did you claim logical flaw? I want to know what the flaw is. That's how I learn.

Your flaw was in suggesting that people should have rights because they do have rights. I think you're backing away from that position. So, in that respect, you are learning -- at least in an operant conditioning sort of way.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Actually it does. The example IS my position. See, we can go on in endless loops. We can ask if it's logical to want to survive (easy to argue) but then we'll get into silly arguments about whether it is "logical" to exist at all.

In truth, I posited something very similar to this -- that everyone has an interest in preserving themselves. I did not make the mistake, however, of stating that it was "logical" to want to survive.

Craven de Kere wrote:
We have rights because we create them. We create them because we want (or as Frank says, demand) them.

ONE logical reason we demand certain rights is because of the collective survival issue.

I see. But then are you saying that people create rights for the benefit of society's survival, or is each person interested primarily in his/her own individual survival? In other words, are you proposing a classic utilitarian model of rights?

Craven de Kere wrote:
I do get the greater point you are alluding to. If what's desired is illogical then you seek to portray logical means to an illogical goal as illogical.

I never said any such thing. I never mentioned a "logical" connection between ends and means, only your illogical connection between "is" and "ought."

Craven de Kere wrote:
But I'm not with you in that the goal is illogical. I think it IS logical. I simply don't defend it because until now Thomas and yourself have never articulated your qualm with the proposed logic in a way that would make this relevant.

I never said the goal is illogical. I don't even understand the notion of an "illogical" goal.

Craven de Kere wrote:

Nonsense. I offered no opinion on the logic or illogic of any desire that you may have posited.

Craven de Kere wrote:
My answer is that first of all it makes no difference to the logical evaluation of the means. What it suggests is a greater logic. A greater goal.

And in so doing you responded to a strawman, not to me. And thus there is no need to comment on the remainder of your post.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 03:44 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Our side definitely is one up -- insofar as all supposed rights we have -- we have because of demand, desire, and laws. That we can see!

Of course, if you define "societal rights" as "the rights granted by society," and you further define "the rights granted by society" as "all of our rights," then even a blind man could see those rights. But the same blind man could just as easily see that such a definition is an example of question begging.

To illustrate: I have in my hand a Bleen. I define Bleen as: "that thing which I have in my hand." Therefore, I can confidently state, without fear of contradiction, that Bleens exist.

To the same extent, Frank, you argue that societal rights exist because we have societal rights, and if anyone doubts that we have societal rights, all he need do is look around.

Frank Apisa wrote:
I defy you to show one right we have that we have because some god gave it to us -- or because nature gave it to us.

Easily. Following your example, I hereby define all rights as natural rights. Thus, if you see a right, then you see a natural right. And if you doubt that, look around you! And if you can't see them, then they're hiding behind the Bleens!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 04:35 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

Then how can everyone share the same rights, if rights are the product of the desire for rights? Or are you suggesting that everyone has a different set of rights, depending upon their various desires?

Neither. Rights are codified by societies. They are a social construct. How a society determines its rights is where you will find the answer to your question. It's not true that we all have the same rights. Go to different places and you will experience what it's like to live with different rights.

Throughout history there have been examples of places in which different people have had different rights.

Rights are not a direct product of our desires. They are a social construct and our desires factor into them only insofar as we are able to influence the society in which we live.

joefromchicago wrote:

Initially, you wrote: "Rights exist simply because each human that has ever existed has had the desire for rights." You later wrote: "We have a goal: to survive. Rights are logical toward that goal." I'm not exactly sure these two statements can be reconciled, except to posit a connection between the "desire for rights" and "the goal of survival." Perhaps it can be done in this fashion:
1. People have a goal of survival.
2. People desire the means to attain that goal.
3. Rights are a means to that goal.
4. Therefore, people desire rights.

Is that what you're trying to get at?

Not really, what I was doing was tackling Thomas' contention that there is NO rational argument for the existence of rights. I was admittedly unclear in the sentences you mention but I do not think rights are all about survival. Many rights impede survival (e.g. equality and any right that secures it hampers the chances of survival of the fittest even while it can also afford). Incidentally the fisrt statement you quoted of mine there is fallacious. Nobody called me on it so I will. It's not relevant to our discussion but it's untrue that ALL humans have desired rights.

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

Well, this is confusing. If societal rights are based on a societal goal (i.e. survival) and on something else (still unidentified), then how can we evaluate what qualifies as a "right" and what doesn't? If something does not advance the goal of survival, but does advance some other societal goal, can that something be a "right"?

It's actually quite simple. Societies do not have only one goal. If you have as a goal to survive does that preclude any other goals? Of course not. Again, not all rights are based on the goal for survival. Some are based on the desire and subsequent goal for freedoms etc.

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

No. I merely asked a question. Your response did not address the question, so I'll pose it again: If there are other "ways to secure your individual survival that are more effective than rights," then why aren't those things "rights"? For instance, if clothing is more efficacious in guaranteeing our survival than freedom of speech, why isn't there a "right" to clothing?

I live in a place where I have the "right" to wear clothing should I desire it. Don't you? Do you think this "right" might fall under some other rights or do you think every way a right can manefest itself is articulated somewhere?

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

Then what is the connection?

You tried to make a connection between desire and right in a way that would make desires automatically become rights. I disagreed. The connection is a weak association of arguments. I disagreed with the link you attempted to forge and you are now asking me to articulate it for you?

joefromchicago wrote:

Craven de Kere wrote:

This doesn't make any sense at all. Are you saying that the goal of survival, in some sense, trumps rights?

That is a judgement call. I personally do not think so and my comment did not make that case. I was still trying to explain to you that I do NOT think that survival is what all rights are about. I used as an example the fact that denying rights can sometimes help one's survival.

Get it? Survival is just one goal that rights address. They are not inalienably connected.

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

And, as you pointed out above, not all rights are means to the end of survival. So what exactly are these things you call "rights," which are sometimes consistent with, and sometimes antithetical to, survival? And how do we know one when we see one?

When they are codified by society. It shoudl not confuse you so. Can you accept that rights might not ONLY be about survival? Depite the fact that I used as ONE example survival?

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

We're still very far from that point.

I know, we seem to be stuck on one example I gave and your insistence on making it a global.

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

Your flaw was in suggesting that people should have rights because they do have rights. I think you're backing away from that position. So, in that respect, you are learning -- at least in an operant conditioning sort of way.

I never once said that people should have rights because they do.

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

In truth, I posited something very similar to this -- that everyone has an interest in preserving themselves. I did not make the mistake, however, of stating that it was "logical" to want to survive.

It CAN be logical to want to survive. That is not a mistake.

joefromchicago wrote:
I see. But then are you saying that people create rights for the benefit of society's survival, or is each person interested primarily in his/her own individual survival? In other words, are you proposing a classic utilitarian model of rights?

I posited neither generalization. I proposed no class of rights. I did say that it can be logically argued that rights are a boon because through securing collective survival we help secure individual survival.

I simply made no comment on what class of rights I would suggest. I never opined on the notion that everyone acts in unison and has the same motives for the rights they seek to secure. I think it's absurd to make such a statement as people tend not to work in uniform groups. Where do you get this stuff?

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

I never said any such thing. I never mentioned a "logical" connection between ends and means, only your illogical connection between "is" and "ought."

Nah, you are stuck on an "is" "ought" of your own creation. You can help yourself out of it because I do not subsribe to your "is" "ought".

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

I never said the goal is illogical. I don't even understand the notion of an "illogical" goal.

A goal that can't be supported by logic.

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

Nonsense. I offered no opinion on the logic or illogic of any desire that you may have posited.

Yes you did. You did so when you created your pet "ought/is". I said rights are a logical means to secure our goal of survival. You said that this was a logical fallacy. Your statement is only true if our desire is irrational or illogical.

joefromchicago wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

And in so doing you responded to a strawman, not to me. And thus there is no need to comment on the remainder of your post.

No, I responded to you. I responded to your claim that I exhibited fallacy. But for what it's worth I understand why you don't want to respond.

you wrote:
In other words, we have rights because they increase our chances of survival, and we should have rights because they increase our chances of survival. It is not: "a wants B, x is a logical means to achieve B" (you omitted a conclusion to this quasi-syllogism, but never mind). Rather, it is: a wants b, therefore a should have b. That's equivalent to saying: "I want chocolate cake, therefore I should have chocolate cake." That, I submit, is simply deriving an "ought" from an "is," which is a classic logical fallacy.

It's surprisingly simple:

I said that a logical defense of the existence of rights includes the fact that rights help secure our survival. It is a goal we have. You tried to make this a "a wants b, therefore a should have b" fallacy. Therein you implied that the fact that we want to secure our survival is questionable logically. I responded that even if it were (and it isn't) it would not change the fact that once the goal is established there are logical means to that end and rights are one of them.

It was only a straw man in that it was a weak argument. It has, as it's source, your writing.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 04:39 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Of course, if you define "societal rights" as "the rights granted by society," and you further define "the rights granted by society" as "all of our rights," then even a blind man could see those rights. But the same blind man could just as easily see that such a definition is an example of question begging.

But of course, I didn't do that.

What I said was:

Quote:
Â…all supposed rights we have -- we have because of demand, desire, and laws. That we can see!

and

Quote:
All of the rights that can presently be identified as rights (without conjecture) are rights that have been conferred by law.

We can say that governments conferred them by law because the right already existed inherently - but that is not an observable event.

I am not saying those are the only rights - but they are the only rights that I know of.

I gave you an opportunity to present some rights that are not conferred by law or human agreement - but instead are our rights because nature or a god endowed us with them. You did not respond -- or you did not respond seriously. (see below)

My point is that ALL of the "rights" we have are conferred on us by law - and quite honestly, they are ALL transient.

Ben Franklin recognized some of this when he exited the Constitutional Convention and declared "You have a Republic, if you can keep it."

I guess I have to remind you that I am not defending the proposition that rights ARE man made and transient - but instead that there is no reason to assume any rights we possess are endowed upon us by a god or nature and are inherent.

Do you have some rights in mind that are not the product of law? Do you have some rights in mind that cannot be abrogated by law? (Sorry about the redundancy!)

Your insistence that our rights are inherent and are a product of nature or a god reminds me of the issue of the divine rights of kings. That manifesto was simply an assertion - a useful assertion. The assertion (and that is all I've heard so far, are assertions) that our rights are inherent is useful. It provides a fine counterbalance to the idea of the divine right of kings to determine what rights we have and do not have.

Quote:
To illustrate: I have in my hand a Bleen. I define Bleen as: "that thing which I have in my hand." Therefore, I can confidently state, without fear of contradiction, that Bleens exist.

If this conversation is bothering you so much that you must resort to something as unreasonable as that, Joe, perhaps we ought both to acknowledge that this is not an issue amenable to absolute resolution - and that since the discussion has stopped being fun for some of us, maybe it is best we go on to something else.

That analogy was absurd.

Quote:
To the same extent, Frank, you argue that societal rights exist because we have societal rights, and if anyone doubts that we have societal rights, all he need do is look around.

What rights do you see that are not a product of law?

Lemme help you here, Joe. We have a right to stay glued to within inches of the planet by gravity unless mechanical means are used to get us away.

That is a right with which we are endowed by nature.

Think of a few others.

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Easily. Following your example, I hereby define all rights as natural rights. Thus, if you see a right, then you see a natural right. And if you doubt that, look around you! And if you can't see them, then they're hiding behind the Bleens!

This is a side of you I'd rather forget.

If you can think of a right we have that is not granted by law - but by nature, offer it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 05:49 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Neither. Rights are codified by societies. They are a social construct. How a society determines its rights is where you will find the answer to your question.

I think I've already found it.

Craven de Kere wrote:
It's not true that we all have the same rights. Go to different places and you will experience what it's like to live with different rights.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I presume that members of the same society may have different goals (I'll accept that survival is not the only goal); so are you saying that people who are members of a single society have different rights? To give a concrete example: if freedom of speech is important to achieve Person X's goals but not Person Y's, then does X have that right but not Y?

Craven de Kere wrote:
Rights are not a direct product of our desires. They are a social construct and our desires factor into them only insofar as we are able to influence the society in which we live.

So, if I understand you correctly, you are now saying that "desire for rights" is not the foundation of rights. Is that correct?

Craven de Kere wrote:
Incidentally the fisrt statement you quoted of mine there is fallacious. Nobody called me on it so I will. It's not relevant to our discussion but it's untrue that ALL humans have desired rights.

Are there any other statements that no one "called you on" that you'd like to retract before we proceed?

Craven de Kere wrote:
It's actually quite simple. Societies do not have only one goal. If you have as a goal to survive does that preclude any other goals? Of course not. Again, not all rights are based on the goal for survival. Some are based on the desire and subsequent goal for freedoms etc.

OK, I understand now. But I'm still unclear: whose goals are important in providing the basis for rights? Society's or the individual's?

Craven de Kere wrote:
I live in a place where I have the "right" to wear clothing should I desire it. Don't you? Do you think this "right" might fall under some other rights or do you think every way a right can manefest itself is articulated somewhere?

And this "right to clothing" is, I presume, something "codified" by society? According to your argument, you can point to a specific societal grant of this right. Where is it?

Craven de Kere wrote:
You tried to make a connection between desire and right in a way that would make desires automatically become rights. I disagreed. The connection is a weak association of arguments. I disagreed with the link you attempted to forge and you are now asking me to articulate it for you?

The confusion undoubtedly arose from the statement that you have now retracted. I'm satisfied now that your position is that desires for rights do not automatically give rise to rights.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Get it? Survival is just one goal that rights address. They are not inalienably connected.

OK, that's understood.

Craven de Kere wrote:
I posited neither generalization. I proposed no class of rights. I did say that it can be logically argued that rights are a boon because through securing collective survival we help secure individual survival.

So if individual survival is achieved, in some sense, through collective survival, does that mean that collective survival is, in some sense, superior to individual survival?

Craven de Kere wrote:
I simply made no comment on what class of rights I would suggest. I never opined on the notion that everyone acts in unison and has the same motives for the rights they seek to secure. I think it's absurd to make such a statement as people tend not to work in uniform groups. Where do you get this stuff?

Again, I am simply attempting to ascertain your position.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Yes you did. You did so when you created your pet "ought/is". I said rights are a logical means to secure our goal of survival. You said that this was a logical fallacy. Your statement is only true if our desire is irrational or illogical.

No, you misunderstood. But if you can find where I actually said that your connection between ends and means was illogical, you should have no trouble supporting your contention by some simple cutting-and-pasting.

Craven de Kere wrote:
I said that a logical defense of the existence of rights includes the fact that rights help secure our survival. It is a goal we have. You tried to make this a "a wants b, therefore a should have b" fallacy. Therein you implied that the fact that we want to secure our survival is questionable logically. I responded that even if it were (and it isn't) it would not change the fact that once the goal is established there are logical means to that end and rights are one of them.

A regrettable misunderstanding on your part, but one that I'm willing to move past.

Oh, and you failed to respond to my query: are you proposing a classic utilitarian model of rights?
0 Replies