Officer, I'm sure I returned that library book...

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 01:05 pm
Call off the dogs.

I drove in to my office this Sunday morning before 7 am. I can get more work done in a couple of hours on a quiet Sunday morning than in all of a weekday.
I took a circuitous route home, through various shopping centers, noting the increasing number of "for rent" signs.
There were a lot more police cars in my neighborhood than usual this morning; cruising or parking in pairs.
Neighborhood is probably not the right word. There is a major north-south highway 1/2-mile to the east. The road in front of our house was two lane in 1976, when we moved here. Now it is five lanes and we are the only house surviving. Everything else has been gobbled up by office parks and small shopping centers.

So anyway I got home around 10. I got dressed for church and go outside for a minute, just in time to see a camera flashbulb go off. An officer in one of the two police cars across the street has taken a picture of my house.
One police car left immediately. The other stayed there for about an hour before leaving.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,333 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Eva

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 02:51 pm
Hmmm!

Why didn't you approach the police car that stayed for an hour and ask them? That's what I would have done.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 02:54 pm
Yes. it seems to me if the police are going to photograph your house you should know why.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 03:32 pm
Er, this is under Original Writing - rjb, you looking for some collaboration with the piece you seem to have started?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 04:05 pm
Yes, indeed, jespah, this is under "Original Writing." I meant to put it there because, while I saw what I saw, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I didn't want to get incendiary. Nor did I want to try to walk across five lanes of traffic to confront the officer.
I can call the police chief tomorrow.
So, while this is by no means fiction, I'm not going to some other extreme. Does this seem logical? Thanks. -rjb-
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 07:08 pm
My enemy? No!

Flashing lights and tightening shadows,
Make the eye of skies awake,
In a poem of vastly different
Helium in faith awake.

No ignition..know submission,
Just a fleeting shadow casts,
Still we look up to the heavens,
Wondering what the vivid pasts,

Have in common..have in verse
Have in all that we can touch.
All they have, returning..turning
No, not much...No, not much
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:19 pm
Perversely the posting to "Creative Writing" might have been a little prescient. I called the spokesperson for our police dept and got her voice mail. I left a message, without going into the details, asking her to call me. So far she hasn't.
This afternoon I was at Office Depot and there was an officer coming in as I was leaving. I told her my story. More later. Is MSN having some problem? I keep getting shut down.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:24 pm
Not certain what you mean by MSN communities. You might want to check Announcements on A2K. Craven has some news
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:39 pm
No, it's not A2K. Next time it pops up I'll try to understand the jargon.
Nayway the officer noted that she was not on duty Sunday morning and her beat is not in my neighborhood. But she had heard in the morning briefing today that there had been an incident Saturday night involving a lot of graffiti along a couple of streets in my area.
Sure enough, when I cruised through some of the area this pm, I saw about 10 "taggings."

(The message that is now appearing in my screen says this: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has enountered a problem and needs to close ...sorry... Tell Microseoft about this )problem
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:48 pm
John, try posting your problem in the Internet section of A2K. Someone will help you.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:51 pm
Anyway, lots of graffiti on some buildings and privacy fencing. But nothing on my property. Pretty bad art and very un-creative writing (not to mention the spelling: fuk?) Anyway, this doesn't explain the photo of my house but I at least have some notion of what the police were doing.
Sorry for the disjointed post. -rjb-
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:59 pm
Oh good! I'm glad to hear it was just graffiti. And now, before we change the subject, take that book back to the library, rjb! (heehee)
0 Replies