Technology makes passive life seducing

coberst

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 03:12 am
Technology makes passive life seducing

"The development of general ability for independent thinking and judgment should always be placed foremost, not the acquisition of specialized knowledge." --Albert Einstein

Our (US) society is not generally tuned to agree with Albert's opinion. We generally consider education is a commodity, an object of commerce; generally our schools, colleges, and universities prepare us in a specific specialty so that we can fit directly into the cogs of the industrial machine when we graduate.

The "development of general ability for independent thinking and judgment" must come after our school days are complete. If we do not begin this process of preparation for independent thinking quickly after schooling it is quite likely we will never acquire the judgment required of an independent critical thinker.

There is good reason to consider our first priority is to acquire the certificates necessary for a good job and then to focus our attention upon taking control of our life following our graduation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 597 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 08:13 am
anyone that has ever used a computer can appreciate my saying that "technology makes passive life impossible." think of all the auxilliary crap you have to do to get things to do what you want them to, they haven't gone down in number.

(note to mac users: the most recent complaint i heard on this theme was from one of yours, although you may argue that it's more common with my ilk, if you must...)

but you're blaming technology when technology carries with it no social values. those come from society- you might as well blame a mars bar for your own lack of fiber and beta carotine. it isn't the mars bar's responsibility. technology doesn't have any either.

Quote:
How does a young person who has finished their schooling develop their own value system?

we might have different opinions about what "schooling" is. to me, it is less about education or skill training, and more about imposing a value system of ruthless competition, of "success" against charity, of "hard work" above your own health, and above all, of complacency against debate and the preservation of civil liberty. someone who has been "schooled" already has a value system, but probably not his own. maybe i misunderstood the question?

Quote:
How does a young person develop a sound intellectual foundation upon which to build a life?

if the above is true, he never does, instead he lives out the fiction that he's been given. a false premise plus flawless logic tends to lead to a false conclusion- in this case, a life that is false.

Quote:
What is a sound intellectual foundation?

as someone who has been schooled, i'm not sure. at first, it's a damned good question, but i fear it might be a loaded question. it almost seems to carry with it the idea that we have access to objective truth. fundamentalists always think they have objective truth, there's no reason that society can't be a form of this fundamentalism- "the realization that we can always be wrong is key to learning," so perhaps that's also the best answer to your question.

Quote:
How does a young person learn to ask the important questions?

by "rejecting his programming," in every sense of the phrase. the programming he was given, the programming he added himself, and the programming he will encounter in the future. reject your programming, and i think the right questions will follow.

Quote:
How does a young person find the answers to these questions?

another loaded question i think. programming is all about "answers." load yourself with answers- maybe too often, answers are nothing more than the strongest barrier we have to necessary questions. instead just ask, and see what happens.

Quote:
How does a young person become an independent thinker when the culture is constantly singing a lullaby for slumber?

how do you fight physical sleep when drowsy? stimulating thought, wondering around, or (useless to your question in the literal sense) "watching tv." the reason that watching tv is useless to your question is that tv is passive. if you can do what tv does, instead of letting tv do it for you, you might have a real chance. but you'd have to give up the many and costly rewards that come with letting tv do it all for you. good luck with it.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:13 am
tinygiraff

I think that your answers make a lot of sense. What do you mean when you say that a question is loaded?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:04 am
well, either one of us could look it up, and that might give a better definition, but off the top of my mind i'd call it:

"a question that has trouble being an honest question, because it carries an answer with it that gets in the way." a question loaded with a false answer or based on an inaccurate assumption.

here's an example:

"we don't you think we should stop saddam from supplying terrorists with wmd's?"

is based on the false assumption (or two) that... well, yeah...
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 08:44 pm
A loaded question is one where an activity is assumed such as: "When did you stop hitting you wife?" It is a smear regardless how you answer. A defense lawyer could help his/her client loaded questions such as: :You didn't kill Mr. Asswipe did you?"
0 Replies