Comedian Makes Lighthearted Jab at Jesus

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:31 am
why do people care??

it was a joke, something to make people gasp and laugh.
that is HER JOB.

so *********************** what ...
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:43 am
jesus is just alright with me.
because it's the norm to confuse being uptight with being upstanding.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:59 am
vikorr wrote:
What I find a joke on ourselves is that we happily insult peoples religion from our own (dominant in this country) culture, but can be called any of the following : racist, intolerant, hate mongerers (okay, so I made that up), troublemakers, or ignorant if we insult Allah, Islam, Hinduism etc.

It seems to be an extension of the general Western world view of doing away with our cultural icons that may offend 'other' religions (other because Christianity apparently doesn't count in this worldview), but letting 'other' religions and people keep all their culture / icons.

As for 'suck it Jesus' and like 'jokes', it's sad really, that we can make fun of something that deeply offends others and brush it off as their problem.

Of course, certain denominations of Christianity also deeply offend people by knocking on their doors uninvited and preaching to them uninvited.

I wouldn't insult islam in person simply because I don't want my house burned down and my wife and daughter murdered. The only christian people I associate with in the real world are at work, where both the law of the land and the rules of the workplace prevent anything but the blandest religous comment. I don't associate with any outside of work. My friends are all atheists.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:11 am
Quote:
why do people care??

A lack of empathy? Or people are purposely offending a group of people (and amusing others) in order to make money?

Quote:
I wouldn't insult islam in person simply because I don't want my house burned down and my wife and daughter murdered.

Same reasoning for a lot of people.

Quote:
but quite another to resist a religion that permeates the whole of your culture and is in your face on every level, every single day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:51 pm
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:45 pm
Quote:
What else would you call standing up to...

Ah, it's seems we have a different definition of the word 'resist', hence my curiosity as to your use of the word.

Quote:
...a majority that wants to control your thoughts and movements, from cradle to grave, with laws, peer pressure and simple thoughtlessness?

I can see the perspective of 'control your thoughts', but can't grasp the 'control your movements' perspective.

As a observation (cause it just popped into my head) - other groups try to control your thoughts, the govt, the nation, the culture, advertising, media, lobbies & interest groups.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 10:06 pm
As a observation (cause it just popped into my head) - other groups try to control your thoughts, the govt, the nation, the culture, advertising, media, lobbies & interest groups.

All you gotta do is see my posts on other topics to see I don't cut them any slack, either.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:43 pm
nor should you (us.) although i think there are plenty of christians that aren't like that, and while i agree with you on other groups wholesale, there are lots of christians i will cut slack to...

but not of course to the nonsense of "believe or burn" or "hey, i've got a great idea, how about a theocracy?" how about NOT?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 05:05 am
edgarblythe wrote:

All you gotta do is see my posts on other topics to see I don't cut them any slack, either.

I have pointed out, many times, that lots of Christians and I co-exist. In fact, an American cannot function withoutt doing so, in general.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 07:36 am
Awwwww we ain't all that rotten.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:01 am
It's OK to bash Christians but not those that really need to be bashed. Same thing holds true on A2K....
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:47 am
Do any of you ever get this message when trying to open the last post in a thread?

"Internet explorer cannot open this site: http://blahblahbla...etc Operation aborted"

Question
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:54 am
Quite often this week.
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:06 am
lol, people actually watch awards shows?

It must have been a slow week for them as far as finding things to get mad about.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 10:52 am
edgarblythe wrote:
It's one thing to call a particular religion down for the acts of a minority, but quite another to resist a religion that permeates the whole of your culture and is in your face on every level, every single day.

Word

As it so happens, i personally disparage Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc., etc., on a regular basis, and the evidence is to be found in these fora. I agree with those who have expressed the opinion that the real hilarity is the extent to which christian whining is lining this woman's pockets. All Praise to the Almighty Dollar--which is where it's really at.
0 Replies

Aberro

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 03:26 pm
Evidently, while people may be divided by religion, they're united by the cult of celebrity.

I say it would have been worse (or at least wonderfully ironic) had she accepted the award in Jesus' name.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 08:20 am
cjhsa wrote:
It's OK to bash Christians but not those that really need to be bashed. Same thing holds true on A2K....
Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 01:26 pm
If you drink enough, Edgar, you can sometimes see right through those burqas....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 01:31 pm
cjhsa wrote:
If you drink enough, Edgar, you can sometimes see right through those burqas....

Sounds like the voice of experience . . . the truth comes out, CJ lusts in his heart for Muslim women . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 01:47 pm
I think cjhsa is a Muslim. His posts seem calculated to make one defend them.
0 Replies