Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,209 • Replies: 55
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 09:26 pm
A2K's been my gosh for a long time now.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 11:41 pm
since this is a legitimate concern and not a load of hypocrisy and ridiculousness (among a load of other things) it'll be nice to see all those "suck it, every non-christian on the planet" sites on the internet disappear.

jack chick will finally be dead and forgotten, praise the lord.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 09:51 pm
Sort of reminds me of the time Roseanne sang the National Anthem at a ball game.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:02 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
since this is a legitimate concern and not a load of hypocrisy and ridiculousness (among a load of other things) it'll be nice to see all those "suck it, every non-christian on the planet" sites on the internet disappear.

jack chick will finally be dead and forgotten, praise the lord.

Non-christian sites won't go anywhere.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 05:45 am
Re: Comedian Makes Lighthearted Jab at Jesus
Quote:

Last week a small Christian theater company based in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., took out two full-page ads in USA Today at $90,000 a pop, decrying Griffin's remarks and pleading for a new civility. .

Yeah, that's a much better idea than just turning the other cheek and donating the money to charity. Too bad Jesus didn't have these guys doing his P.R. 2000 years ago.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 06:12 am
this is one time I wish I had a tv hooked up to cable.. or even some friggin rabbit ears. Laughing
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 07:37 pm
nah, don't feel bad, kathy griffin is "d-list" for a good reason. as humor goes, she's more like peter griffin, with a nice face and body- i'll give her that.

and peter griffin is just a bit more edgy.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:42 pm
You are all going to hell.

All of you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:51 pm
We shall have plenty of company.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:54 pm
I thought it was low class, and not funny. And I've paid money to see her perform live, so my opinion isn't totally uninformed about her. I used to be a fan.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:12 pm
I liked her before this, but now I REALLY like her. She's playing all these stupid assh*les for the fools that they are, and in return, they are lining her pockets for her. I love the irony of this, which I'm sure is lost on most of the people who are so upset about it that they would take out ads against her. I hope she planned it to go this way from the beginning.

Yay, Kathy!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:25 pm
I can't say I was ever a fan, but the American and Australian sense of humour as are far apart as our countries, so it's not really surprising.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:03 am
I didn't see the remark as particularly jocular. However, it was not so terrible as to get everybody's underwear in a knot. To me, the humor is watching people's reactions.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 06:26 am
So, it was "lighthearted", but not "jocular"?

Yo, Gene Siskal, slow down for us plebeians.
Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:18 am
What he means is, when it comes to underwear, it is much easier to tie one's jocular into a knot than, lets say, one's boxers.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:56 am
Jesus has nothing to do with this post. Suck it, Jesus!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:13 am
How about the next time some piece of **** musician who sings about objectifying women and doing drugs accepts an award, and thanks jesus the christian groups take out their 90,000 dollar ads to protest the individual.

Thank you for this award
K
O
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:48 pm
What I find a joke on ourselves is that we happily insult peoples religion from our own (dominant in this country) culture, but can be called any of the following : racist, intolerant, hate mongerers (okay, so I made that up), troublemakers, or ignorant if we insult Allah, Islam, Hinduism etc.

It seems to be an extension of the general Western world view of doing away with our cultural icons that may offend 'other' religions (other because Christianity apparently doesn't count in this worldview), but letting 'other' religions and people keep all their culture / icons.

As for 'suck it Jesus' and like 'jokes', it's sad really, that we can make fun of something that deeply offends others and brush it off as their problem.

Of course, certain denominations of Christianity also deeply offend people by knocking on their doors uninvited and preaching to them uninvited.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:53 am
It's one thing to call a particular religion down for the acts of a minority, but quite another to resist a religion that permeates the whole of your culture and is in your face on every level, every single day.
0 Replies