Anti-intellectualism inhibits learning

coberst

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 03:11 am
Our vocabulary is our intellectual tool-box. The person with the largest vocabulary dies as the winner. Imagine the difference in what is discovered about reality for the individual with microscope, caliper, micrometer, plump-bob, and level in his intellectual tool-box versus he who has only a hammer, pliers, and yard-stick.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 09:47 am
Quote:
Our vocabulary is our intellectual tool-box. The person with the largest vocabulary dies as the winner.

i'm unthrilled with the metaphor, and the conclusion even more. if i find a master carpenter, and give you all his tools, he's still the master carpenter by comparison. getting more literal- everyone online has access to the biggest dictionary in the world. they could learn all the words and know crap-all about how to fit them together into newer, useful thought.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:06 am
coberst wrote:
The American culture is all about golf, sports, fashion, partying, and being cool and such. Not much room for intellect.

How do you account for the fact that more and more students choose to pursue graduate degrees, especially in the humanities, every year? One would think that humanities doctorates exemplify the kind of "disinterested knowledge" you're always advertising.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 01:03 pm
Shapeless wrote:
coberst wrote:
The American culture is all about golf, sports, fashion, partying, and being cool and such. Not much room for intellect.

How do you account for the fact that more and more students choose to pursue graduate degrees, especially in the humanities, every year? One would think that humanities doctorates exemplify the kind of "disinterested knowledge" you're always advertising.

I was not aware that was true. Could you direct me to some more info?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 07:49 pm
Sure. As I mentioned, the National Science Foundation conducts surveys pertaining to doctoral degrees in the United States every few years or so... I've found the 1989, 1991 and 1995 surveys online; I'm sure some meticulous Googling would pull up more. The Chronicle of Higher Education also conducts and publishes surveys and statistics pertaining to graduate degrees.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 01:45 am
Shapeless wrote:
Sure. As I mentioned, the National Science Foundation conducts surveys pertaining to doctoral degrees in the United States every few years or so... I've found the 1989, 1991 and 1995 surveys online; I'm sure some meticulous Googling would pull up more. The Chronicle of Higher Education also conducts and publishes surveys and statistics pertaining to graduate degrees.

Thanks.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 01:55 am
coberst,

Look for more straw!:wink:
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 07:38 am
fresco wrote:
coberst,

Look for more straw!:wink:

Pardon me?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:44 am
Quote:
.....The fact that he fails to defend its "straw man status"....
Sept 22
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 07:16 pm
From this question on another forum....

One respondent (having giving a page of detailed rejection of the thesis by reference to "Coherentism, and Minimalism") concluded
Quote:
…..you are the one who has a problem.

coberst's "defense"
Quote:
Sounds a bit anti-intellectual
Laughing
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:21 am
fresco wrote:
From this question on another forum....

One respondent (having giving a page of detailed rejection of the thesis by reference to "Coherentism, and Minimalism") concluded
Quote:
…..you are the one who has a problem.

coberst's "defense"
Quote:
Sounds a bit anti-intellectual
Laughing

That response can serve as a general response to all pesky rabbits.
0 Replies