Organizing digital photos and such.

DrMom

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:13 pm
How should I organize/store my families digital photos/ videos? For a while I have been thinking about it and they are in my computer, but I also lost about 8 months of memories when my computer crashed 21/2 years ago. I want advice re; what works? I mean to store, backup, share print, what are the options?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:41 pm
I've done two things to guard against data loss of precious digital photos, as well as irreplacible paper photos.

For the paper photos, I've scanned them all onto my computer's hard drive. This way I can grab the PC on the way out the door if there is time to do so in a situation like a fire or earthquake. Much easier than trying to carry 20-30 photo albums.

For the digital photos as well as those scanned paper photos, I've done two things.

First, I put copies of the photo image files onto CDs and store them in my bank deposit box.

Second, I've made a couple of personal websites and store the photos there on the internet so that in the case of an earthquake where there will be regional damage and a local bank's deposit box vault might suffer damage, I have website hosts that are located outside the region for my web pages.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 09:16 am
Butrflynet
Butrflynet, I'm so glad you are doing that huge task to preserve the family's memories.

BBB
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:12 pm
Thanks , this is very helpful. How do you make your website to store photos.

Also do you print digital photos, and what about those videos that are on the small camcorder cassettes. I want to be able to edit them and store them in one place any advice?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:19 pm
you should be able to get a firewire and connect your camcorder to your computer. Most PCs come with a free program called MovieMaker. There, you can digitalize your casettes, edit them in a very simple way, and burn on CDs or store on a backup harddrive.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 08:06 pm
We bought a seperate hard drive that plugs into the current one.

We upload our photos to it, and then put it back in the box

It is a 50 gig drive so we should not fill it any time soon.

but it holds nothing else. Just pictures.
And, like butterflynet said... in case of fire, grab and go. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 08:31 pm
I do several kinds of backup; the first is on a external hard drive like shewolf, and the second is on a disc. It's also on my computer, but I don't worry about crashes any more.

Whatever you do, do back up your pictures. Some really good, important pictures I had on my computer was lost when my son tried to load another software on my computer, and it crashed.

Since I used to make picture albums after each trip, some good ones are still preserved, but I quit making photo albums about a year ago, because they take up too much time and effort - and also take up too much space. The only "album" I make now are my travelogues on a2k (in the Travel Forum). My last one was our a2k gathering in San Francisco last month. Visit the thread and tell us what you think.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 10:53 pm
Thanks everyone. Some advidce on how to personalize, share, print will also be appreciated.

Ciserone imposter great advice but your picture is so dim or is it my failing eyes ?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 09:59 am
The "last" San Francisco gathering pictures were taken by several people, but Mame (from Vancouver) took some really good ones.

Which pictures did you look at?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:04 am
Here's some pictures from my Russia trip: http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77175&start=0

Here's some pictures from my Balkan's trip: http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94783

Ask if you wish to see more.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 02:10 pm
I think she's referring to your avatar photo. The shadow from your hat's brim makes it difficult to see your facial features.

If she goes to that SF thread she'll see that beaming face in all its glory.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:50 pm
Thanks, wonderful pics and I do plan on reading about your travels soon. Right now having some group psychotherapy. Yes I was referring to your avatar picture.
0 Replies