Barry's 756th HR ball: Bestow it, Brand it, or Banish it.

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:02 pm
The guy who bought Barry's 756th home run ball has put up a website so the fans can decide what to do with the home run ball.

The options are:

Bestow it: Send it to Cooperstown as is, to be placed in it's rightful place in the Hall of Fame.

Brand it: Burn an asterisk on the ball with a branding iron, then send it to Cooperstown.

Banish it: Put the ball on a rocketship and send it to outerspace. Out of sight, out of mind

http://www.vote756.com/marcecko/

Oh, by the way, Barry Bonds has made his feelings known, calling the guy an idiot. He's such a sweet guy, isn't he? I'm voting to Brand it. Barry Bonds is an assh*le and a cheater, and anything that would piss him off is what should be done.

So what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,502 • Replies: 16
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 10:54 pm
Send it to the Hall of Fame. It's a historic ball. Just because it isn't a pleasant piece of history doesn't mean the baseball establishment should ignore it. If they're so upset about steroids, they should have to have it around to remind them of the blind eye everybody turned to it when the longball meant big, big money for major league baseball. I mean, I was in Chicago when McGwire and Sosa were chasing the record, and the the Cubs were making money like they were in the playoffs every night. That's a hell of a lot of beer money at the park and ad revenue on the television. Jerseys, too.

People can look at Hank Aaron's 715 ball and think about what that meant, and then they can look at Bonds's 756 ball and think about what that meant. Hell, half the **** in the hall is probably from MLB when the operation was segregated, and the 'roid era isn't anywhere near as offensive as that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 08:02 am
You make some good points. I don't think putting a big asterisk on it would change any of that. I still say brand the thing and then send it to Cooperstown.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 08:52 am
PD does make a valid point - whomever is without sin can cast the first ball.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 08:57 am
I was going to say asterisk but Patiodog convinced me too actually. If you do that, where do you draw the line? How many other asterisks need to be branded, and if not them, why this one?

Only thing I'm sure of is NOT to banish it. Enough space junk out there already.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 10:53 am
sozobe wrote:
I was going to say asterisk but Patiodog convinced me too actually. If you do that, where do you draw the line? How many other asterisks need to be branded, and if not them, why this one?

Because Barry Bonds is an assh*le.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 11:11 am
patiodog wrote:
they should have to have it around to remind them of the blind eye everybody turned to it when the longball meant big, big money for major league baseball.

I feel that this is another reason it should be asterisked and then sent. In fifty years, when people look back and see the asterisk, they will see that at least the FANS gave a **** whether the most coveted record in baseball was tainted by some horseheaded cheat.

patiodog wrote:
People can look at Hank Aaron's 715 ball and think about what that meant, and then they can look at Bonds's 756 ball and think about what that meant.

And when they see that big asterisk on it, they'll be able to think about what THAT meant.

patiodog wrote:
Hell, half the **** in the hall is probably from MLB when the operation was segregated, and the 'roid era isn't anywhere near as offensive as that.

Segregation has nothing to do with the game itself. If you're going to make this argument then cheating in any form should not have any effect whatsoever on whether someone or something gets placed into the hall of fame. I'm sure Pete Rose will be happy to hear that.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 11:23 am
Well, I probably shouldn't have any say, since I've got no plan to ever go to the Hall of Fame unless for some reason I find myself in Cooperstown with nothing to do for an afternoon. Not likely. So, you know, I just think of the Hall of Fame as a museum of professional baseball, not a shrine to it.

So I don't really care. It just bothers me that suddenly the baseball establishment gets the opportunity to be sanctimonious about cheating when they've capitalized on it to the tune of billions of dollars since, say, the home run explosion of 1987. (Wally Joyner was jacking 'em out, for the love of God.)

It may be relevant that I'm a huge fan of small ball. I don't care if the home runs are valid or not, I just want them to go away. Every park should be 440 to dead center like it is in Houston...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 01:41 pm
I opt for .....

Ignore it.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:38 pm
4,000.000 votes thus far, including mine (I went for the branding). I only participated because Bonds, as noted by Kicky, is a first-class jerk.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:51 pm
3,985,524 to banish it so far
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 02:57 pm
Brand it won:

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5j_bAyXlQ8H-OBvrwnO0jwl1H25Bw
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 08:31 pm
The plot thickens...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/09/28/arenas.bonds.ap/
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 08:59 pm
Hank Aaron...Roger Maris...the true kings of swing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 09:39 pm
So who is Arenas?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:24 am
arenas is a basketball player for the wahington wizards...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 12:56 pm
Not a Bonds fan, however...
It seems we have taken a lynch mob approach to his situation. He has not been proven to have done anything yet, other than be durably abrasive. Until a ruling of some sort actually does more than accuse him, we are doing ourselves a disservice by convicting him with no proof. Our society usually tries to avoid this, other than with our sports and movie personalities. IF he comes out of all this, and is clean, (highly unlikely, I know) what then? Can we unbrand the asterisk ball? The history of the game is more important than rabid fan backlash to an unsavory personality.
0 Replies